Disneyland expansion in the news!

Hong Kong

Report released with minimum fanfare draws ire of environmentalist who said island should be kept largely intact to protect ecology

Dozens of hectares of reclaimed seabed, man-made islands and more highways and railroads to link with the urban areas are all part of a package of ambitious proposals seeking to turn the tranquil island of Lantau into Hong Kong’s new commercial hub, as well as a tourist haven.

The ideas were contained in the first-term report of the government-appointed Lantau Development Advisory Committee, which was discreetly released online yesterday, following about two years of study.

The 33-page report, entitled “Space for All”, was available in Chinese, with only an English summary for now and a full version “to be provided” later.

The plans split the island into four major development areas: a northern Lantau corridor, near Tung Chung and the airport for economic and housing developments; an area for leisure and tourism on between 60 and 100 hectares of reclaimed seabed off Sunny Bay and an expansion of Hong Kong Disneyland; a new core business district in the east, to be created by the reclamation of one or more artificial islands; and the development of 14 recreation and tourism areas, mostly to the south, including Sunny Bay, Mui Wo, Tai O and various Buddhist monasteries, and the Tung Chung valley.

. . .

In his article, Chan said the committee appreciated that Lantau is rich in ecological habitats and these should be preserved.

“The committee is of the view that conservation and development should not be considered mutually exclusive. Simply leaving things intact does not necessarily mean effective conservation... we should improve and make better use of the natural environment in a responsible manner, so as to allow the public to appreciate, understand and enjoy the environment.”

In his 2014 policy address, Leung raised the idea of making Lantau a converging point of traffic from Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macau. He announced the setting up of the advisory committee to explore strategies for the economic and social development for Lantau.

Shanghai

Shanghai Disneyland to finally open in June, three times bigger than Hong Kong version - and may be cheaper to boot

http://cdn3.scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/486x302/public/images/methode/2016/01/13/9cd94a6e-b9da-11e5-9ce7-2395197ababe_1280x720.jpg?itok=_XjuClBC

http://www.people.com.cn/mediafile/pic/GQ/20160113/57/6031232642452286645.jpg

The Disneyland theme park and resort in Shanghai is due to open on June 16, Walt Disney Company and its Chinese partner announced on Wednesday.

Construction has been completed and the US$5.5 billion project, located in Chuansha township in the Pudong district of China’s commercial capital, has started recruitment and training of staff, the companies said.

Ticket prices and other operating plans will be announced later, they said.

There has been speculation that entrance prices will be between 300 yuan (HK$354) and 400 yuan, compared with HK$539 at Disneyland in Hong Kong.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

One thing I always enjoyed about a trip to Disneyworld in Florida was that they had several quite decent restaurants which were well above the usual MacDonalds-type stuff I usually took my kid to on vacation trips. Visits were always planned to some of the restaurants around Epcot, sometimes including the Chinese restaurant

I expect a trip there is in our cards in the not-too-distant future, although Jiaying's building takes priority for now.

in the Global Times . . .

Shanghai Disney Resort unveils special local menu

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/disney_food7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a VERY interesting article, if you want to take the time to read it. It covers the history of Disney in China (including the damage done by a Disney film about China’s oppression of the Dalai Lama) , along with the opening up of China and other multi-national corporations - under One Bed, Different Dreams. WAY too much to try to summarize, but I'll try to hit a few key points.

Shanghai Disneyland opens this Thursday.

How China Won the Keys to Disney’s Magic Kingdom

15disney-shanghai-slide-E27Q-facebookJum

But Disney is sharing the keys to the Magic Kingdom with the Communist Party. While that partnership has made it easier to get things done in China, it has also given the government influence over everything from the price of admission to the types of rides at the park.

From the outset, Disney has catered to Chinese officials, who had to approve the park’s roster of rides and who were especially keen to have a large-scale park that would appeal to more than children. The Shanghai resort, which will ultimately be four times as big as Disneyland, has a supersize castle, a longer parade than any of the other five Disney resorts around the world, and a vast central garden aimed at older visitors.

Worried that importing classic rides would reek of cultural imperialism, Disney left out stalwarts such as Space Mountain, the Jungle Cruise and It’s a Small World. Instead, 80 percent of the Shanghai rides, like the “Tron” lightcycle roller coaster, are unique, a move that pleased executives at the company’s Chinese partner, the state-owned Shanghai Shendi Group, who made multiple trips to Disney headquarters to hash out blueprint details.

Disney then ran with the idea, infusing the park with Chinese elements. The Shanghai resort’s signature restaurant, the Wandering Moon Teahouse has rooms designed to represent different areas of the country. The restaurant is billed as honoring the “restless, creative spirit” of Chinese poets.

. . .

Mr. Iger even came up with a new slogan for the Shanghai resort, calling it “authentically Disney and distinctly Chinese.”

15chinadisney-housing2-master675.jpg

A housing complex near Shanghai Disneyland that houses residents whose homes were demolished during the resort’s construction.

Contrasted with Hong Kong Disneyland

Hong Kong Disneyland, which is relatively small, has had mixed financial results since opening in 2005.

. . .

It was in stark contrast to the deal with Hong Kong. Desperate to end a tourism slump, Hong Kong had given Disney breathtaking terms, including providing a majority of the construction funds. Disney gave up no management control.

By 2009, the Chinese government was finally on board. It took a 57 percent stake in the Shanghai resort, which includes revenue from hotels, restaurants and merchandise sold on the grounds. Disney also gave the government a 30 percent piece of the Disney management company that runs the property.

I'm halfway through this article. no surprises here.

“This film was a form of insult to our friends, but other than journalists, very few people in the world ever saw it,” Mr. Eisner said during the meeting. (“Kundun” bombed, taking in just $5.7 million against a production budget of about $30 million.)

I saw it! I think I also have it in my avi/mp4 collection.

This need to be in the 2nd largest market seems to be unquestioned truth. From the same people who fight over the millennial market, 34% of whom live at home with their parents.

“I suggest that we shouldn’t allow too many Disneyland theme parks to be built” in China, said Li Xiusong, the deputy head of culture in the eastern Anhui province. “If children follow Western culture when they are little, they will end up liking Western culture when they grow up and be disinterested in Chinese culture.”

May I suggest:

“I suggest that we shouldn’t allow too many Disneyland theme parks to be built” in China, said Li Xiusong, the deputy head of culture in the eastern Anhui province. “If children follow Western Disney culture when they are little, they will end up liking Western Disney culture when they grow up and be disinterested in Chinese real culture.”

more coverage from the SCMP

Hundreds evicted, businesses shut down to clean up air near Shanghai Disney theme park

http://cdn4.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/980x551/public/images/methode/2016/06/14/f3843f24-31dd-11e6-b997-a8e2995ff455_1280x720.jpg?itok=Rn6H5kE_

Residents were paid for lost homes, but hundreds of employees of closed factories say they do not know where their next jobs will be.

“You can find low-paying work, but jobs that pay better you can’t get,” . . .

In the district near the Disney site, at least 153 factories have been ordered to close this year to cut pollution, according to the local government. Most are workshops that employ 10 to 20 people producing goods ranging from clothing to chemicals.

. . .

“The surroundings of the village, it doesn’t compare to now. . . .,” said Qin. “Here, you walk out and it’s all greenery and flowers. The surroundings are so much better.”