Received Affidavit of Single Status but question came up

I have received my Affidavit of Single status from Chinese consulate in New York. I first went to court house and got divorce decree took that to Secretary of State and they stapled the 2 together and put a seal put on to verify notary from court house. Then I sent all those papers in with a copy of my passport to Chinese Consulate in New York and received back the Secretary of State paper with the Affidavit stapled together like I sent it and the Chinese seal on back of Secretary of State paper perfect so I thought. So I scanned a copy of this to my future wife. She took it to the marriage place and they said yes that's right. on leaving they said to make sure the name on the divorce paper matches letter for letter. I didn't send her copy of divorce decree because didn't think it was needed since I got back the Single status with Chinese seal on it. So after looking at my divorce decree I see that is has my full first name, middle initial , last name..... But on my Affidavit of Single status I filled it out with my full name like on passport, it has my full middle name. and when I signed it just first and last name. This was not a problem with Chinese Consulate in New York and it never came up. So the question is do I need to even present the divorce decree since I have the notarization single status from Chinese government and if so will the difference between one having middle initial and one full middle name going to present a problem.

I believe they should understand that middle name is fairly interchangeably either full middle name or initial on many documents, this probably will not present an issue since the Chinese Consulate had no issue with this.

That's what I'm hoping. Can anyone tell me their experience have they been asked to show the divorce decree even if they show the Affidavit of Single status has been notarized by their government saying your single?

Some previous reports you can hunt through, if you'd like - https://www.google.com/search?q=candleforlove.com+%22certificate+of+marriageability%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=forum:candleforlove.com+%22certificate+of+marriageability%22&filter=0

or use our own search engine for "certificate of marriageability"

If they say you need them, you need them, but I don't recall anyone actually needing them AFTER getting the marriageability certificate for the Chinese marriage books.

Under U.S. law, if you're single, you're single - I believe some have reported not even needing the divorce decrees.

In any event, getting your divorce decree changed to reflect your full name might not be something you'd want to try at this point.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Under U.S. law, if you're single, you're single - I believe some have reported not even needing the divorce decrees.

The certificate of singleness has always struck me a a bureaucratic solution to a bureaucratic problem that you don't have a hukou that says you are not married.. As Randy said, you are either single or you are not. And if you were to get married in China while still married to someone else you would still be guilty of bigamy without the certificate.. I have always wondered what extra penalties would you be subject to because you signed an affidavit that said you were single.

And while the immigration application tot the US is a different matter, it seems to me a harmless shortcut to just say you have never been married rather than go through the hassle of presenting divorce papers.

Go get 'em, Perry!

:D

i know that you're leaving soon to head over there. These guys will steer ya right. I had my ex-wife's death certificate with me, but never had to show it.

You have your ducks in a row now, so enjoy the visit with your sweetie over there, soak in all the beauty of where you are, and enjoy being with her! I was like a yokel in the middle of NYC...looking around everywhere....everything was so different and lovely! Have a great time!

Warren

Good news the Affidavit paper work is ok as it is. She took it to the Marriage department and they checked it all over and said every is good how it is,what a relief and will save a trip to US consulate which closest was a few hour train ride. So an extra day to do the things we want and not have to chase papers.

Edited by AT Thru (see edit history)