Hello. Not sure where to post this question. Here or up above in the visa section. I am going to visit China at the end of the year. I am getting a new Chinese visa. I am hoping it will be a ten year visa. I am having Oasis Visa help me. They have done a good job for me in the past. My last visa thru them was a 2 year visa. So anyways, a couple of questions. I was looking at my passport yesterday.. I have another 6 or 7 years before my passport expires. I also only have 4 or 5 blank pages left in my passport. If I get a 10 year visa what happens to that visa when I run out of pages or my passport expires.? Will I have to get a new passport and thus a new visa or does that 10 year visa get transferred to my new passport? What do you all think? Thanks. Danb

BTW, It will cost me about $268 to process my 10 year visa . This is much easier than me having to take days off to go down to the city and apply for the visa myself. Plus they can precheck my app. Also it saves on travel expenses to the city.

The visa remains valid even when passport expires, you carry both new passport and the expired one when traveling.

I have another 6 or 7 years before my passport expires. I also only have 4 or 5 blank pages left in my passport.

You can get extra pages added to your passport but they are going to stop on Jan. 1, 2016 so you only have a limited window to get extra pages added. I had pages added when I was in China

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/pages.html

After Jan 2016, you will have to get a new passport if you run out of pages.

I have another 6 or 7 years before my passport expires. I also only have 4 or 5 blank pages left in my passport.

You can get extra pages added to your passport but they are going to stop on Jan. 1, 2016 so you only have a limited window to get extra pages added. I had pages added when I was in China

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/pages.html

After Jan 2016, you will have to get a new passport if you run out of pages.

Just now got this email from AmericanCitizensInChina@state.gov

Beginning January 1, 2016, the U.S. Department of State will no longer add visa pages into U.S. passports. Previously, U.S. passport holders had the option to pay for the insertion of additional 24-page visa inserts when valid passports lacked adequate space for entry or exit visa stamps. The decision to discontinue this service was made to enhance the security of the passport and to abide by international passport standards.

To mitigate the impact on frequent travelers, the Department began issuing 52-page passports to all applicants outside the United States starting October 1, 2014 for no additional cost. Applicants within the United States may choose a 28-page or 52-page book.

Requests for additional 24-page visa inserts will only be accepted until December 31, 2015. Beginning January 1, 2016, applicants in need of additional pages in their valid passports must obtain a new passport.

Hi Guys, Thank you for all the info. I learned a lot and was made aware of some things. My visa application for China is in process in DC with Oasis.. I won't get it back until next week. I don't think that I will have anytime to get the pages added before I leave for Asia Unless that is something Oasis could do for me..I wonder???? Probably out of their realm.I did get an application at the post Office this weekend but didn't get to read the info. I am going to be in Asia for the last two week of this year. I am hoping to visit Bangkok and Siem Reap, Cambodia and then China. It will be a busy time but maybe I can get some pages add during that time. I wonder if this is a walkin type deal or will I have to make appointments. I will read the links that you guys posted for me. I don't have a lot of time but I have a little time. Maybe I can squeeze it in. Thanks again. Danb

Just was checking the link Beachey gave me. Here are the processing time:

Processing Times
Routine 4-5 weeks Expedited 2-3 weeks Expedited at Agency 5 business days*

*Based on need; restrictions apply*

I wonder what they mean by Agency??? Is that the post office in the US and the Embassy/consul in foreign countries?

More research. Danb

Just was checking the link Beachey gave me. Here are the processing time:

Processing Times
Routine 4-5 weeks Expedited 2-3 weeks Expedited at Agency 5 business days*

*Based on need; restrictions apply*

I wonder what they mean by Agency??? Is that the post office in the US and the Embassy/consul in foreign countries?

More research. Danb

No - this website tells you about the Dept. of State agencies - http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/expedited.html

Thanks for the link Randy. Reading from both sites and others that I got from the internet it seems like my passport can be channel/handle by either Embassies/consulates or agencies, They all require appointments. The embassies and the consulates offer the quickest turn around time.It seems like the agencies either directly or indirectly pass the passport to where the passports are modified. Timing is a issue. At this point it seems like getting pages added to my passport will be easier handled overseas.

5 months ago my travel plans were to visit China at Christmas. I had enough extra pages in my passport. At the last minutes the plans changed a bit. I had an opportunity to visited Angkor Wat via Thailand opened up. Plans were made. Tickets were bought. My passport was sent off to get a Chinese visa. Then I started to think about just exactly how many blank pages I had and wonder how many pages I would actually need for my little excursion thru Asia. Ahhh the best laid plans of mice and Danb, Good thing that I had you guys giving me iyour deas and suggestions. Thank You. Danb

PS: Some links that I looked at: http://passportsonline.org/regional-passport-agency/ , http://passportsonline.org/add-pages/ , http://passportsonline.org/add-pages/ And I also went to US Embassy sites for China , Thailand, and Cambodia. As Beachey mentioned added pages to one;s passport after Jan. 1, 2016 will not be possible.

Be aware they will stop adding pages, however you can request a larger passport at no additional charge when renewing.

You may request a larger passport book with 52 pages, at no additional cost, by checking the '52 page' box at the top of your passport application.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/renew.html

Hi, I just got my passport back with a 10 year Chinese visa. It is good for 10 years, multi visits and 60 days at a time. Also received a notice that the visa was good with a new passport if my old one expires ( just like Dan told us about). I was mistaken about only having 5 or 6 blank pages. What I have is more blank pages, it just that as my passport had been stamped over time I guess it is not fashionable to stamp the pages in order. Stamps and visa were just put anywhere they felt like placing them. Oasis did a good job for me. They also answered my questions per email and phone. China here I come!! Thanks for you all's help. Danb

I was just applying logic to this, placing a 10 year visa in a 10 year passport, the passport always expires before the visa, thus carry both expired passport with valid visa and new passport when using the visa.