Amazon in China

In Caixin - I'll have to check this out more closely - so far, I've only ordered from TaoBao, and only occasionally used Amazon as a reference to check product availability (limited) and price

In Tough China Market, Amazon Sells the World

In March, Amazon China opened an online "shop" on the Tmall e-commerce website owned by Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. Consumers can use the shop to buy imported, name-brand clothing, shoes and other goods.

. . .

Today, Alibaba's Tmall controls 58 percent of the market for retail e-commerce sales in China, according to iResearch Consulting Group. JD.com holds second place with a 20 percent market share, while Amazon is a distant eighth with 1.1 percent.

But Amazon's globally recognized brand name, international sourcing network and technological know-how have helped it build a strong niche in the country. And the Global Store is that niche's latest manifestation.

Now, Gurr said, the Global Store is giving the company a new way to grow in the country by linking rich, brand-conscious shoppers to sellers around the world. It's a business model that sets Amazon China apart from its more powerful rivals – in a profitable way.

Hurray for Amazon! Wonder when the field will be tilted against them? :mellow:

My fiance has occasionally bought me something through Amazon and shipped it to me. Maybe she is using the same Amazon I use.

It's ALWAYS been tilted against them. Like the article says,

Moreover, Amazon China did not grow as quickly as its rivals due to the regulatory hurdles that face all imported products. For example, China's laws can require that a cosmetics product made in Japan undergo three years of safety testing before it can be sold in the country.

Nevertheless, Amazon China has profited as a minor market player by simply offering overseas brands that Chinese consumers want.

One thing I've HAD to order through Amazon U.S. is shoes - my feet are a wide size (11W) which I haven't found available ANYWHERE in China. 11 converts to a size 44 in Chinese sizes, but even a size 45 is too narrow (and also too LONG).

For example, I bout a pair of Merrill hiking boots in the U.S. The cost was about $90 from Amazon U.S., plus $60 for shipping to China. I could have bought the SAME shoe, but in a regular width, at a local RT Mart for around the same $150. The wide width in ANY size is not available that I've seen, either on TaoBao or Amazon.cn.

But as a foreigner in China, the Amazon.cn site seems HARDER to navigate, and less likely to offer what I want than is TaoBao.