Hit To Kill!

It seems like a crazy urban legend: In China, drivers who have injured pedestrians will sometimes then try to kill them. Cheaper kill them then to provide medical treatment.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-drivers-kill-pedestrians-intentionally-2015-9

This was an accepted fact the two years I lived in China. As they explain, the economic incentive is there to kill rather than maim. Also, I think one of the many reasons why expats like me are given a car and driver. No foreign company wants to accept the liability of having one of their employees injure someone and be responsible for the next 40-50 years.

A step in the right direction, though this should already be a given, first responders and medical providers should already be protected, and this does nothing to protect a bystander who is not certified, who may try helping an injured person.

Shanghai drafts Good Samaritan Law protecting those who come to the aid of strangers

The Shanghai Municipal People's Congress has started the legislative process to regulate the city's emergency health services. Under the new law, volunteers will not be held liable in emergency cases, thepaper.cn reported.

The bill defines "Good Samaritans" as those with medical skills and possess a professional medical certificate.

http://shanghaiist.com/2015/09/08/shanghai-drafts-good-samaritan-law.php

I remember one time my little cousin in law coming back home holding his side. A scooter had driven next to the sidewalk and hit him from behind with the mirror. Left a bruise bigger than my hand. I asked if we should call the police and was told no need. Just gave him a cold water towel to hold on it, not even go to the doctors. Said it was his fault for being to close to the road and he should have known better :yikes: . Sure did feel sorry for the little guy.

An interview with the author in the SCMP . . .

Do some Chinese drivers prefer to kill than just injure pedestrians? US lawyer explains a twisted road logic

. . . Geoffrey Sant, an adjunct professor of law at Fordham University and special counsel at the Dorsey & Whitney law firm in New York, argued just that. Writing in Slate, he said that mainland China's "perverse" victims compensation law meant the cost of recompensing an injured but alive victim outweighed that of indemnifying the family of one who died.

What compelled you to write about the “hit-to-kill” phenomenon recently and the gaps in victims compensation law?

I was aware of the hit-to-kill phenomenon as early as the mid-1990s, when (as I mention in my article) a friend told me about it. However, I hadn’t really thought about writing it until around 2012. In 2012, I wrote an article on a different issue – the problem of substitute criminals, where a person will hire or arrange someone else to take his place in prison or court.

After that article, one of my PRC [mainland Chinese] friends asked me if I planned to write next about the double-hit phenomenon. At the time, however, I felt that Western audiences wouldn’t believe the story unless I found a lot of actual videos showing it happen. This summer, I finally had some free time, and searched out videos that showed hit-to-kill cases, such as security cameras that caught drivers repeatedly driving back and forth over a pedestrian. Once I found a number of videos, I felt comfortable writing the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Take pictures first!

Not so good Samaritans snap some photos for evidence before proceeding to help collapsed man

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/not_so_good_samaritans.jpg

Lying sprawled on the ground with blood gushing from his face, wary onlookers worried that if they were the first to help, they would be the ones blamed for all that blood.

A small crowd grew before the onlookers thought to snap some preemptive pictures of the collapsed man in case he tried to sue. Safe from litigation, they approached and found that the man was badly hurt and called for ambulance for him