Leaving Ferrari, Lamborghini and Bugatti in the dust

Ex-Porsche man Pinky Lai Ping says new project will 'slap' supercar faces and rewrite Hong Kong's history

http://cdn1.scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/486x302/public/2015/08/22/622dae71e7925a215bea0483362f13e5.jpg?itok=gqvfjfk_

video (interview only) at http://cf.cdn.vid.ly/4c0v9s/webm.webm?t=144039724555dab7bd6bc90

The Hong Kong native said he would fly to Beijing this week to sign agreements to begin building the car from scratch. It would be an electric-powered vehicle unlike any on the market, he said, adding he expected it to be unveiled in 12 months. He said the car would come with "an extremely high price tag".

"The world will be talking about it, whether you are a car nut or not, because it's more than a car - it's bigger than ourselves," Lai said.

The award-winning designer said the project was neither a sports car nor an SUV. He did not name the company working with him in China.

. . .

"They could have done it themselves when I was there. They haven't done it. And now it's a Chinese car - but with the power to kill all the top performance cars," he said.

. . .

At Porsche, Lai led the exterior redesign of the 966 series (911 Carrera) that saved the company from being bought out by competitors, worked on the first-generation Cayman, and reworked the Boxster, winning industry awards in the process.

Since retiring from Porsche last year, Lai has returned to Hong Kong frequently to work on his latest venture.

Pretty confident talk especially building it from scratch in 12 months without any production/manufacturing issues that normally arrise with any new car production.

I hope he's right though and that, whatever it is, it will be a game changer.... like having some kind of revolutionary fuel that really works.

I wonder if the 12 months is enough time to build a prototype?

In any event, let's hope he didn't attend the John Delorean School of Financial Desperation.

from Wikipedia

While still the youngest division head in General Motors history, DeLorean broke away to start his own company, DeLorean Motor Company (DMC), in 1973. However, production delays meant DMC's first car and DeLorean's independent creative opus—the DMC-12—did not reach the consumer market until 1981 (nearly a decade later)

• 3 months later...

This one was left in the drink!

Man who crashed Bugatti into a lake is headed to federal prison

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/04/74/30/1295932/7/920x920.jpg

In case you haven't seen it already, the "crime" was captured for YouTube. I think the guy was just guilty of incredible stupidity, regardless of whether his ACTUAL crime was (as he said) fumbling with his cell phone while driving a $1,000,000 car, or the insurance fraud.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 1