Freedom to GAME!

I didn't know this, although I don't remember actually SEEING one anywhere. It seems like EVERYONE's just playing on their phone, and the Internet cafe thing is ubiquitous. Some of the Nintendo characters are popular cartoon figures, which you can see in some of my pictures.

In the Shanghaiist

At long last! China set to lift ban on video game consoles nationwide

China's console ban goes back to 2000 and was put in place to prevent potential negative effects on China's youth. Obviously, the restriction has been so incredibly effective that there is no longer any need for it at all.

. . . and the WSJ

China to End Ban on Videogame Consoles

China will lift a ban on making and selling videogame consoles in the country, paving the way for foreign companies like Sony Corp., and Microsoft Corp. to expand in one of the world’s largest videogame markets.

New rules will apply to foreign and domestic console makers, enabling them to manufacture and sell anywhere in the country, according to a statement from the Ministry of Culture released earlier this week. Previously, regulators limited foreign console makers, such as Sony and Nintendo Co. , to operate only in the Shanghai Free Trade Zone, which stifled sales and potential growth.

The move opens the door to a valuable market of videogamers who have turned to computer and mobile videogames because of limited access to consoles like Microsoft’s Xbox, Sony’s PlayStation and Nintendo’s Wii.

Our friend serpentza posted this video a few days ago about an arcade machine he bought off of Taobao - it looks like a fully electronic assembly equivalent to the old MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) software which has been available for PC's from some time back.