Miss World Canada

A China-born Falun Gong practitioner, whose father has been persecuted, and cut off from contact with her over her beliefs

The Miss World pageant will be in Sanya in December. In the SCMP

Chinese-born actress Anastasia Lin no longer gets to speak with her father after she refused to stop human rights advocacy

missworld-lin.jpg?itok=TZrrjADw

Actress Anastasia Lin, who made human rights part of her winning bid in May to become Canada’s contestant to this edition of the global beauty pageant, testified Thursday on religious persecution in China.

. . .

Lin, who moved to Canada when she was 13, said her father in China has already come under pressure from authorities there. He was proud of her becoming Miss World Canada but soon urged her to stop human rights advocacy or he would have no choice but to sever contact with her. Lin said she no longer gets to speak with her father.

“I don’t know how it feels like to be tortured by a prison guard, but now I know the deep fear probably felt by many Chinese people that their convictions may be paid for by their loved ones,” she told the commission.

But Lin said she still hopes to travel to China for the pageant. She said overseas Chinese need to “stand up and speak out.”

• 3 months later...

Still not resolved - pageant is next month

Miss Canada says China is denying her Miss World pageant dreams because of her human rights advocacy

http://shanghaiist.com/upload/2015/06/missworldcanada.jpg

The cutoff date for entry into the beauty pageant is November 20th, but Lin, a follower of Falun Gong, has yet to receive an official invitation from inside China, without which she can not complete her Chinese visa application, reports Radio Canada International.

• 2 weeks later...

I sympathize with her plight but she as much as stated that she plans to criticize China publicly at the pageant. She had to know they weren't going to let that happen. Now shes using the whole affair to rub their nose in it. I would be extremely amazed if she's allowed to enter China.

I did not read all. Just wonder how Canada feels, send runner up?

One of the articles I came across somewhere was about how disappointed she was that the Canadian government wasn't going to bat for her - apparently, they don't want to rock anyone's boat.

I think this'll just go down with nothing happening.

I did not read all. Just wonder how Canada feels, send runner up?

One of the articles I came across somewhere was about how disappointed she was that the Canadian government wasn't going to bat for her - apparently, they don't want to rock anyone's boat.

I think this'll just go down with nothing happening.

Good for her though.

Now let me get this straight, she hints at how she is going to publicly bust China's chops at the contest, not too smart of a move even if you were a nonsensical buffoon (idiot) to begin with. :dunno: This chick (sarcastic remark: Intended) must be dumber than Tom Hillegass's dog, who pees more on himself, than on a tree or shrub. If she didn't have decent looks, she wouldn't have anything, unless she can find men who like political talkin' wimmin winners of the Darwin Award...oh wait, she can find many men who like dumb wimmin. Long may she breathe oxygen, boyz. :eyebrow:

She's living the high life in Canaduh, while her large mouth has her father living in fear and misery in China. This chick is Just Brilliant, I tells ya!!! She should run for public office, a VERY high ranking public office...they're

narcissistic, too. :yay:

And she goes (uninvited) to Hong Dong, expecting to be allowed into China. Homer Simpson, you have a twin sister, buddy. You may have been the one who got the brains. :greenblob: :redblob:

I can only guess at what her talent portion of the contest is??? Pickin' her nose...and not eatin' it. :worthy: :worthy:

• Like 1

Yea Tsapper, you have a point, but those students in '89 did some kind of good. Frankly I am happy for any kind of pressure on the CCP, even as small as this is. Keep reminding those ol boys here and there.

Yea Tsapper, you have a point, but those students in '89 did some kind of good. Frankly I am happy for any kind of pressure on the CCP, even as small as this is. Keep reminding those ol boys here and there.

And you've got a point too Douggie. It is a crying shame that its her father who is the one who gets to live out his days in hell...over her words, while she gets to roam around free, enjoying her 15 minutes of fame. I've got a wife who is over in China now, tending to her dying mother and father. I can't even imagine what Wenyan would feel right now if she was banned from China, stuck over here in the land of the glorious free, while her parents were on their death bed. This young lady may well get to see what that shit is all about. I feel sorry for her father...later, maybe I'll feel the same for her.

Ah youth...you get to live like there is no tomorrow. Unfortunately, tomorrow DOES come, to all of us.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Back in the NY Times this year - they're on her case even in the US

Pageant Silences Beauty Queen, a Critic of China, at U.S. Contest

14PAGEANT-blog427.jpg

After the Chinese authorities blocked the Canadian beauty queen Anastasia Lin from attending the 65th annual Miss World pageant in China last year, the event’s British organizers offered her a consolation prize, of sorts: They promised to allow her a chance to compete in the 2016 finals, which are currently underway in suburban Washington.
What they did not tell her was that she could smile but not speak out publicly during the event, which is largely sponsored by Chinese companies.