Chinese vegetable seeds from China.

This year in our garden, all we planted was vegetable seeds that we had brought back from China over the winter. Did not do anything different in the garden or soil. I have never seen vegetables and the plants grow so large or produce so much. Greenbean vines 9 foot tall and the beans 1x12. Zucchini the size of my leg from knee to ankle, with the plant the size of a bathtub and 4 foot tall.. Climbing Gua the size of 12" softballs with leaves 2 times the size of my head, and flowers 10" across. Everything looks like those pictures we used to get in the paper catalog that showed the monster fruit/vegies next to little children.

So much for getting our daily dose of vegies.

Anyone else have this kind of luck?

This year in our garden, all we planted was vegetable seeds that we had brought back from China over the winter. . . . .

Anyone else have this kind of luck?

Do you mean importing seeds without a certificate or permit and not getting busted? :)

I am totally envious and do want to know how to do this legally someday. If you think you did it legally, I would like to know how.

One explanation could be that, since about WW II, the U.S. has been breeding for size and firmness knowing that we would have pesticides and fertilizers to partly make up for things like disease resistance and other growth taits. Your Chiina "heirloom" seeds could be old school, non-hybrids that they have been growing for centuries using only animal and human fertiziler. Were they in a packet?

Another explanation could be that you live in Hawaii and things grow like they are in a greenhouse??

Mostly, though, I think your soil and growing conditions were just right this year. would love to know if you are on oto something here.

Greg

The seeds were bought from the store, in a heavy paper packet, about 5x8 inches big, all in vivid color, with the directions on the back in Chinese. Came back home and declared no problem 2 times now. Maybe is ok because it is in a commercially sealed pouch??

Wished we lived in Hawaii, but have only been there on vacation.

I really don't know why we have the prehistoric sized garden plants like this. Conditions are quite normal, maybe just a little extra rain in June, and mostly cloudy. Farmers around here say conditions are very wet and bad, corn and soybean is way down for this time of year.

I think your right though, old school China seeds have never been planted around here and could be heirloom too.

Bee's love them flowers, and not a single leaf of any of them has been chewed on at all by any of the normal pests.

United States Department of Agriculture

Small Lots of Seed
Last Modified: Jun 26, 2015
Lots of seed may be imported without a phytosanitary certificate under the following conditions:
(1) The importation of the seed is authorized by a written permit specifically for small lots of seed. Permits are usually valid for 3 years and cover multiple importations.
(2) The seed is not of any prohibited genus listed under 7 CFR 319.37-2; is not of any Federal noxious weed species; does not require an additional declaration on a phytosanitary certificate; does not require treatment; is not a parasitic plant; is not genetically modified; is not pelleted, coated, or imbedded in growing media, seed tape, cloth, or similar materials.
(3) If the seed is a field/agricultural crop or vegetable, it meets the requirements of the Federal Seed Act import provisions in 7 CFR 361.
(4) If the seed is regulated under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) or the Endangered Species Act, it meets the additional requirements.
(5) The seed meets the following packaging and shipping requirements:
(i) A typed or legibly printed seed list/invoice accompanies each shipment with the name of the collector/shipper, the botanical names (at least to genus, preferably to species level) listed alphabetically, as well as the country of origin, and country shipped from, for each taxon. Each seed packet is clearly labeled with the name of the collector/shipper, the country of origin, and the scientific name at least to the genus, and preferably to the species, level. The invoice/seed list may provide a code for each lot, which may be used on the seed packets in lieu of the full list of required information. In this case, each packet must at least include the appropriate code, which is referenced to the entry for that packet on the seed list/invoice.
(ii) There are a maximum of 50 seeds of 1 taxon (taxonomic category such as genus, species, cultivar, etc.) per packet; or a maximum weight not to exceed 10 grams of seed of 1 taxon per packet;
(iii) There are a maximum of 50 seed packets per shipment;
(iv) The seeds are free from pesticides;
(v) The seeds are securely packaged in packets or envelopes and sealed to prevent spillage [Note: we recommend that seeds are packed in resealable, clear plastic envelopes to facilitate inspection];
(vi) The shipment is free from soil, plant material other than seed, other foreign matter or debris, seeds in the fruit or seed pod, and living organisms such as parasitic plants, pathogens, insects, snails, mites; and
(vii) At the time of importation, the shipment is sent to an approved port of entry listed in the permit.
How to Apply for a Small Lots of Seed Permit: For fastest turn around time, apply on-line at https://epermits.aphis.usda.gov/epermits. Alternately, use PPQ Form 587, Application for Permit to Import Plants or Plant Products. On the first line of section 3 of the application, enter “SMALL LOTS OF SEED PROGRAM”. Starting on the second line, list the seed species and countries from which you want to ship each species. If the list of species is long, you may enter “eligible taxa”. By using this option, you are accepting responsibility for determining the eligibility of the seeds. The Permit Unit cannot tell you if the species are eligible for importation if you do not list them. A permit is issued for taxa that are admissible with no restrictions beyond the port of entry inspection. If port of entry inspectors find prohibited or restricted seeds in your shipment, they will seize and destroy the ineligible kinds.
To determine the entry status of seed taxa, see (2) above and refer to the Plant Protection and Quarantine Nursery Stock Manual's reference section. Click on “Nursery Stock Restrictions”, and then find the List of Regulated Propagative Material starting on page 1-9 of the manual. Plants that are not listed in this section are generally admissible and eligible for the small lots of seed program. Plants that are listed in this section are ineligible for the small lots of seed program, with the following exceptions:
A taxon is eligible for the small lots of seed program if the relevant manual entries exclude seeds (check entries at both the genus and species levels and note family-level listings for Cactaceae, Cycadaceae and Rutaceae).
Species noted only as FSA-A or FSA-V in the “other requirements” column are eligible, but must meet the import provisions of the Federal Seed Act; i.e., the labeling must include variety names for vegetable seeds and lot numbers for both agricultural and vegetable seeds.
Species noted only as CITES or ESA in the “other requirements” column are eligible if accompanied by any required CITES or ESA permits. Generally, seeds of both Threatened and Endangered plants are regulated under the Endangered Species Act; however, the seeds of Threatened plants are not regulated if they come from cultivated plants.

US Customs and Border Protection
Travelers are advised to consult with their nearest APHIS PPQ Plant Inspection Station to determine the admissibility of propagative plant material (including live plants, bulbs, corms, cuttings, root crowns, seeds, etc.).
You can learn more about admissibility and entry requirements for certain plants by calling Permit Services at (301) 851-2046 or toll-free at (877) 770-5990 or by email at Permits@aphis.usda.gov.
Edited by HotBaozi (see edit history)

We have never had trouble bringing seeds back. Never attempted to conceal them in any way. Also, our local Chinese food store has a stock of seeds from China that we use as well. Our garden is like the one described earlier in the thread - huge veggies and vines that just go on forever. Last year, we planted a type of gourd that was huge. The vines climbed all the way up our back deck and I had to keep cutting it back like it was Kudzu.

• 2 weeks later...

This weekends hail-storm did quite the number on the garden, they were almost 2" and ripped through all the leafs and snapped some vines and stalks. While the vegetables themselves survived, the plants took a real beating. Waiting to see how many turn yellow, and then will be trimming back this weekend. There still kicking out flowers, though just not as strong as before.

Yes, we have tried the seed packets from the local China stores too. They grow well, just not the gigantic size I am seeing this year.

Good information HotBaozi! That would explain us and others not having any problems bringing the seed packets back with us through the POE.

• 2 months later...

I declared all my commercially supplied vegetable seeds (in original packaging) I was bringing back yesterday from China and the customs people took all of them. I also declared the dried dates and I was okay; the people behind me did not declare the dried fruit they were brining from Turkey and they said $300 cash or credit for not declaring the fruit.

I was also advised I should have declared my K1 fiancé's wedding dress I was bringing back but they let it go. She did wear it one time in China and maybe that helped. I forgot to declare the two bottles of wine I was bringing ... but they did not complain, I did declare the Bluetooth speaker and Samsung phone (wedding gift).

When in doubt, declare. I was not in possession of a phytosanitary permit or certificate so I think they were right to seize the seeds. Sad, though!