Deconstructing males' consumption of women's bodies

. . . in the Global Times

By Xu Ming Source:Global Times Published: 2015-6-10 18:13:01
Young artist deconstructs the male gaze through female nudes

http://www.globaltimes.cn/Portals/0//attachment/2015/2015-06-10/d4cefb6c-712f-4b61-95f9-d703e0b07d42.jpeg

"Because they don't think the pictures look beautiful. Of course. I'm not shooting photos to meet their aesthetic interests," 9mouth told the Global Times. "Rather, these photos are meant to deconstruct males' consumption of women's bodies."

. . .

"I fall in love with them, though I'm not sure whether I'm attracted by the woman herself or the one I'm shooting or the one that eventually appears in the photo," 9mouth said, smiling shyly. "I'm confused still. But the love is very short and it disappears as soon as I finish."

Deconstruction of desire

By shooting nudes, 9mouth's hope is to deconstruct the male consumption of women's bodies.

"In a male-dominated society, women's bodies are their biggest bargaining chip and so they have to prevent it from being exposed. For men, seeing a woman nude for free usually makes them feel like they won the jackpot," 9mouth said.

"By exposing women's bodies and thus making them valueless, I hope men will gradually no longer feel this way. So through these nude bodies I'm attempting to erase this sense of consumption when it comes to women's bodies."