U.S. Schools Expelled 8,000 Chinese Students

Randy W

in the WSJ

U.S. Schools Expelled 8,000 Chinese Students for Poor Grades, Cheating: Survey

The survey comes amid reports that federal prosecutors in Pittsburgh have indicted 15 Chinese citizens for allegedly taking part in a college exam scheme.

Stacked up against the huge numbers of Chinese students who go to American universities every year, the failure rate isn’t so bad, WholeRen said, though it does suggest a change in the once-shining image of students from China.

“Chinese students used to be considered top-notch but over the past five years their image has changed completely — wealthy kids who cheat,” said Chen Hang, chief development officer at WholeRen, which is based in Pittsburgh, Pa.

Two decades of rapid economic growth and a burgeoning middle class have given Chinese parents more resources to send their children abroad.

I am not very surprised, cheating on the entrance exams within China has been a common thing for years, it is only expected they would pull the same when trying to enter colleges abroad.

10 out of 10 for ingenuity at least: The incredible lengths Chinese students will go to cheat at high-pressure exams that will decide their whole lives

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2656298/Revealed-The-James-Bond-style-gadgets-used-pressure-Chinese-students-desperate-pass-exams-including-radio-vests-pin-hole-cameras-earpieces.html

Chinese authorities have exposed some of the 007-style gadgets that students have been caught using to try and cheat their way through tough university entrance exams.
Security staff in Jinlin, Jiangsu and Guangdong provinces have revealed students are using sophisticated radio vests in order to receive help from someone outside the hall.
Pupils take pictures of the tests using a button-hole camera hidden in a pen or watch, then use a copper antenna loop stitched into their clothing to beam it out of the hall to someone sitting with a receiver.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/12/article-2656298-1EB2C68700000578-982_634x451.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/12/article-2656298-1EB2C67500000578-684_634x458.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/12/article-2656298-1EB2A16900000578-813_634x425.jpg

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/8000-chinese-students-were-expelled-from-us-universities-last-year-mostly-for-cheating-and-bad-grades/ar-BBknrKv

8,000 Chinese students were expelled from US universities last year, mostly for cheating and bad grades

Chinese students regularly rank among the best performing in the world, but that’s not always the case when they enroll in US schools. As many as 8,000 Chinese students in the US, were kicked out of their universities last year, according to the Pennsylvania-based education consultancy WholeRen. In 81% of 1,657 cases studied by WholeRen, the reason for expulsion was poor academic performance or cheating, according to a white paper released by the company.

“Chinese students used to be considered top-notch, but over the past five years their image has changed completely—wealthy kids who cheat,” Chen, chief development officer at WholeRen, told the Wall Street Journal. According to Chen, past generations of Chinese students were poorer and relied on their grades and scholarships to get into universities abroad, but now these students are often wealthy Chinese who weren’t able to get admitted to a good school at home.

This challenge to the stereotype of the “studious Chinese student” also calls into question the quality of education that Chinese students are used to at home. Critics say that China’s university drop-out rate is so low—just 3%, compared to 54% in the US or 32% in the United Kingdom—because professors rarely fail their students. (One theory is that the students, after years of enduring punishing hours of study and testing in order to get into university, are given a break.)

Plagiarism is also common and often goes unpunished. When administrators of China’s notorious college entrance exam, the gaokao, tried to crack down on cheating last year, hundreds of parents rioted, reportedly yelling, “We want fairness. There is no fairness if you do not let us cheat.” This week, 15 Chinese nationals were caught trying to scam standardized tests like the SAT and the GRE.

Sidebar:

1) FYI, read the comments under the article !!!

Edited by Bigguy_33 (see edit history)

This reminds me of an incident concerning one of largest Olive Oil exporters in Italy about 10 years ago. They proclaimed and advertised 100% pure Italian Olive Oil. Come to find out they also used Spanish and Greek Olive oil. Watchdog groups screamed they where creating fraud. The wily Italian exporter responded that it was not fraud but it was cheating.