Better education draws Chinese to US

The attraction American education has for students from other countries — particularly students from China — shows no signs of abating. In the 2013-2014 academic year, there were 274,439 Chinese students attending colleges in the United States, far more than any other group of foreign students, according to the Institute of International Education.

That number is more than double the next highest concentration of foreign students, 102,673 students from India.

http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/better-education-draws-chinese-students-to-us/nkwqS/

We need these kids. Attracting the best and brightest from all over the world is a big part of what has put America ahead in innovation and technology. Unfortunately because of how difficult it is to get the visas they need to study, live and work here combined with a slow economy some of these students are looking at opportunities elsewhere. If we're going to stay at the cutting edge we need to make coming here more attractive.

• Like 2

I agree with you, Carl. we need to do all we can do to make it easier for the best and brightest, especially from countries like China where kids excel in math and science, to come to the States for study, especially post-graduate opportunities. In addition, we need to make it easier for them to stay after they complete their studies. Some argue that this will take jobs from Americans, but I don't think so. The kind of jobs I am thinking of, jobs that require high-level math and science skills, need to be filled by the best and the brightest, regardless of where they come from. The foundation for our space program, for example, was built right near my home in Huntsville, Alabama, largely by German scientists who came over after the war in Operation Paperclip. Werner Von Braun pushed the envelop and our American scientists and students followed his lead. I think high level math and science students will add a healthy competition to the job market that will raise the bar for our own students. Believe me, if we don't make it easier for them to study here, someone else will. I know three of my former students, for example, who were denied visas for the States, two accepted at Ivy League schools by the way, who went to Germany to study and are now working and living in Berlin.

Amen, Carl and Mick.

Why we give such trouble to the Chinese is beyond me. Some of the stupidest stuff I've ever seen, and that is from both sides of the political fence in DC, and farce we call governments...so I ain't pickin' on either of them, they are both FUBAR. Letting the State Department chase away brilliant students is just downright criminal. It almost seems like Joe McCarthy is and has been in charge...LOL I wish he'd die and go away.

We need these kids. Attracting the best and brightest from all over the world is a big part of what has put America ahead in innovation and technology. Unfortunately because of how difficult it is to get the visas they need to study, live and work here combined with a slow economy some of these students are looking at opportunities elsewhere. If we're going to stay at the cutting edge we need to make coming here more attractive.

Hi y'all. :)

One thing the article didn't mention is most universities will handle the F-1 visa application for the foreign student. Most or many of the Chinese students come from wealthy families or, at least, from families who scrape enough tuition money for their child to apply to a US university, college or even a Junior College. It's a big money maker for universities getting these rich foreign students. And, yes, it's a win-win for everyone.

You guys are crazy. The fraud in chinese grade transcripts is rampant. They DO prop up the coffers of US colleges, that is true. The real story is the western style of learning is superior to the Chinese style of memorization and smart parents are trying to get their kids in highs school here In hopes of training them in the more creative style of learning and problem solving before it is too late.

Which is to say: students from any culture can game our or their educational system and get top grades but it doesn't make them the best and the brightest. And if you want to know why we might "make it difficult" for Chinese students to come here and stay you have to know some of the horror stories of cheating, stealing, lying, sending our technology back to China by both Chinese students and professors here. I know this first hand and also from many Chinese students who have told me first hand accounts. At this point, I would never trust a research article published from China and with only Chinese authors.

Are some Chinese students good quality and a catch worthy of giving an HB1 visa to? Yes, some. But, they are the minority, regardless of their grades. Do indian and Chinese grad students drive domestic students away from jobs? Absolutely! In IT and science. Those careers have turned into contract heaven, 3-12 month contracts for MS and Phd quality workers. Great!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure you think I am harsh but I only am telling you what I have seen first hand. Most Chinese who come here and/or stay here after school don't think twice about getting a little side action back in China. And, it's not because they are awful people, though some of them are, they have only brought their values from home which is to have loyalty to themselves and their family first. I won't go on and on about it. Today's story is typical, in my view:

"6 Chinese citizens charged with stealing Silicon Valley trade secrets"

Three Chinese professors were among six people charged in federal court with stealing trade secrets from two U.S. companies, including one based in San Jose, and sharing them with a university in China to obtain contracts.

Pang was working at Avago Technologies, a San Jose-based designer, developer and supplier of FBAR technology, after graduating from USC with a doctorate in electrical engineering. He worked at the company’s facility in Fort Collins, Colo.

Zhang was employed at Skyworks Solutions, a Massachusetts–based company specializing in high-performance analog semiconductors. He also graduated from USC with a doctorate in electrical engineering. At USC, Pang and Zhang studied FBAR technology through funding from the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. Zhang designed and developed FBAR technology, which is mostly used in mobile devices including GPS, cellphones and tablets. FBAR supports military and defense communication technology.

From another article:

The 32-count indictment alleges that beginning in 2006, Zhang, Pang and their co-conspirators developed a business plan and began soliciting Chinese universities to become partners in establishing a business using the FBAR technology.

The government alleges that the men carried out their plan with the intent of benefiting the Chinese government and Tianjin University, a state school; a university investment arm called Tianjin Micro Nano Manufacturing Tech; the government’s Tianjin Economic Development Area; and ROFS Microsystems, a joint venture between the investment arm and the defendants.

According to the indictment, in 2006, Huisui Zhang, a third defendant and USC classmate, e-mailed Pang and Hao Zhang his notes from a planning meeting for creating a factory in China. One section of the notes was titled “Moving Avago to China.”

In yet another e-mail, Pang told his colleagues that they could beat competitors because they would save “a lot” of money by not having to conduct research and development, according to the indictment.

Also in 2009, at the university’s direction, Pang set up a shell company in the Cayman Islands to appear to be the legitimate source of the stolen trade secrets, according to the indictment.

In 2008 and 2009, the government alleged, Pang and Zhang e-mailed each other a series of files, slides and documents containing Avago and Skyworks trade secrets. The secrets allegedly stolen included pricing details, silicon-etching techniques, tool specifications and design kits.

In 2009 and 2010, according to the indictment, Zhang and Pang filed patent applications in the United States based on stolen Avago and Skyworks technologies and listed themselves as either sole inventors or co-inventors.

In 2011, the men launched ROFS Microsystems. Later that year, the government alleged, Avago became aware of Pang’s thefts after it saw the patent applications. In late 2011, Pang’s former boss, Rich Ruby, traveled to China to attend a conference. While there, he visited Tianjin University to see Pang and Zhang’s new lab, where he recognized that it was allegedly using stolen Avago technology. He confronted Pang and another defendant, Jinping Chen, the university’s assistant dean, and accused them of stealing and using the company’s trade secrets.