How to check I-864 Part 6 Item 13 when only have 2 years tax return

Hello again,

Thanks for all your previous help (especially Randy and Dnoblett). As I'm going over my documents the last time today, I realized that for the check-box of Part 6 Item 13 on I-864, my husband probably need to leave it blank - because he only filed tax return in 2013 and 2014, not 2012 - he was still a college student at that time and had no income.

Is that correct please? He did enter the tax return in 13a to 13b. I guess my real concern is that - if he leaves this check-box blank, would USCIS scans the bar code and ignore the fact he pays tax for the recent two years?

Thanks a lot.

Hello again,

Thanks for all your previous help (especially Randy and Dnoblett). As I'm going over my documents the last time today, I realized that for the check-box of Part 6 Item 13 on I 864, my husband probably need to leave it blank - because he only filed tax return in 2013 and 2014, not 2012 - he was still a college student at that time and had no income.

Is that correct please? He did enter the tax return in 13a to 13b. I guess my real concern is that - if he leaves this check-box blank, would USCIS scans the bar code and ignore the fact he pays tax for the recent two years?

Thanks a lot.

They'll do what they will with it - absolute worst (but doubtful) case would be that you get an RFE for the "missing" return. I would expect the two returns are more than enough to keep them happy.

I don't really see that you have any problems with this section. I'm expecting that he answered 13.c and 13.c.1 truthfully as to his total income for that year.

Hello again,

Thanks for all your previous help (especially Randy and Dnoblett). As I'm going over my documents the last time today, I realized that for the check-box of Part 6 Item 13 on I 864, my husband probably need to leave it blank - because he only filed tax return in 2013 and 2014, not 2012 - he was still a college student at that time and had no income.

Thanks a lot.

They'll do what they will with it - absolute worst (but doubtful) case would be that you get an RFE for the "missing" return. I would expect the two returns are more than enough to keep them happy.

I don't really see that you have any problems with this section. I'm expecting that he answered 13.c and 13.c.1 truthfully as to his total income for that year.

Hi Randy,

My husband was still at college in 2012, so should I uncheck the box of 13, and enter "$0" for 13c please?

Thanks again!

The requirement of the I-864 is past year return, and past 3 if will help.

If no income 3 years ago the line can show $0 or the amount if there was some, and a note explaining income level was below the amount where a return needed to be filed that year.

Hello again,

Thanks a lot.

Hi Randy,

My husband was still at college in 2012, so should I uncheck the box of 13, and enter "$0" for 13c please?

Thanks again!

Yes - I doubt that there's any issue there.

The requirement of the I-864 is past year return, and past 3 if will help.

If no income 3 years ago the line can show $0 or the amount if there was some, and a note explaining income level was below the amount where a return needed to be filed that year.

Thanks again Dnoblett

Hello again,

Thanks a lot.

Hi Randy,

Thanks again!

Yes - I doubt that there's any issue there.

Thank you Randy!