China has the world¡¯s first hydrogen fuel tram

Here is the kicker, Hydrogen does not grow on trees, you need energy to produce it typically more energy is used to produce it than the usable energy it gives when it is used. The energy has to come from a power plant...

So yes the vehicle does not pollute however the method of making the energy typically does.

Think of Liquid hydrogen as an energy storage medium like a battery, energy is produced and then stored by generating the hydrogen or stored in a battery and then later used.

http://cdn.phys.org/newman/gfx/news/2006/HydrogenChart.jpg

An interesting read: http://phys.org/news85074285.html

• Like 1

I will also add the expense and addled carbon footprint to produce fuel cells.

:rotfl: Yeah Dan, I always had to laugh at that one too. Buy the electric car, ooopps, it's got more of a carbon footprint than the regular car. :victory:

I just saw a test of a Porsche electric car on that funny BBC show about cars. Oh course the Porsche cost both your butt cheeks to buy and Porsche claimed that it gets over 130 miles per gallon of gas. Again.....OOOPS, in Porsche's test lab it gets that. In the real world it got something like 30 miles per gallon, and you had to stop every so often, for quite some time, to charge up the batteries because it only has a 3 or 4 gallon gas tank. :rotfl: Maybe Porsche didn't have time to test the car in the real world, or maybe they think we're all real stupid.

A lot of it depends on where you live. Here in the Great Northwest our electricity generation is all hydroelectric and wind. Since no fossil fuels are burned to generate it there's a smaller carbon footprint. Electric cars make sense here. As we as a nation move towards more renewable energy lessening our dependence on foreign oil can only be a good thing. Besides the laws of physics dictate that you can't create more energy than what's used to create it. They're just different forms of energy.

Then there's cars like the Ferrari LaFerrari - I can imagine there's plenty of engineering/performance potential for things like a single gasoline engine driving the rear wheels, with separate electric motors for each of the front wheels. Having two separate electric motors would allow a GREAT deal of computerized control over the power applied to those wheels.

The first hybrid with 963cv

http://ferrari-4me.weebo.it/static/thumbs/130011car-960x540_GXUQI9.jpg

The LaFerrari is Ferrari’s first ever production car to be equipped with the F1-derived hybrid solution – the HY-KERS system – which combines an electric motor producing over 150 CV with the most powerful incarnation yet of Ferrari’s classic V12, with 800 CV at 9000 rpm.

A lot of it depends on where you live. Here in the Great Northwest our electricity generation is all hydroelectric and wind. Since no fossil fuels are burned to generate it there's a smaller carbon footprint. Electric cars make sense here. As we as a nation move towards more renewable energy lessening our dependence on foreign oil can only be a good thing. Besides the laws of physics dictate that you can't create more energy than what's used to create it. They're just different forms of energy.

Good deal Carl. That is really good it works for your community. Now if the Feds will just leave it up to local governments, but of course, I know that won't happen.