Affidavit Of Support--CR-1, Unemployed

Hey guys,

Need a little bit help here.

Here is the situation: My husband stayed home taking care of his uncle for the last 5 years, meaning my husband has been unemployed for these years with 0 income. After his uncle passed away, he succeeded his money and properties.

Currently, we are at NVC stage and we are selling the primary residence house to have the money in the bank as asset for I-864 because we are moving to another state after I get back. We also are getting our friend as co-sponsor who earns a very decent annual income. The reason we didn't have families as co-sponsor is either because they dont earn enough or they are retiring in a few years.

Info abt me: young, healthy, BS degree in Engineering from a famous US college

Our questions are:

1. Will the CO accept our friend as co-sponsor since he is not a relative of ours?

2. Is our I-864 in good standing?

3. Any suggestions?

Best Wishes,

Jack

1) Yes, a Joint sponsor is acceptable even if not related. As long as the joint holds domicile in the USA

2) Yes with a joint sponsor.

3) If using assets, provide evidence of the assets, bank statements, deeds etc. Some assets are not typically accepted for example a car unless it is not your primary car, and an appraisal needs to be provided of the car, homes can be used as asset if not your only home. Typically the asset needs to be easily sold without creating a hardship.

It is easier to use a working joint sponsor who has more than enough income to support their family as well as the sponsored immigrant.

Also a relative who may close to retirement can still be used as a joint sponsor, NVC is only concerned with income now and the near future, and even with retirement there is still an income.

Lastly what will your spouse do? Remain unemployed? If actively looking for a job, provide this along with I-864 from primary sponsor (Your Spouse)

1) Yes, a Joint sponsor is acceptable even if not related. As long as the joint holds domicile in the USA

3) If using assets, provide evidence of the assets, bank statements, deeds etc. Some assets are not typically accepted for example a car unless it is not your primary car, and an appraisal needs to be provided of the car, homes can be used as asset if not your only home. Typically the asset needs to be easily sold without creating a hardship.

It is easier to use a working joint sponsor who has more than enough income to support their family as well as the sponsored immigrant.

Also a relative who may close to retirement can still be used as a joint sponsor, NVC is only concerned with income now and the near future, and even with retirement there is still an income.

Lastly what will your spouse do? Remain unemployed? If actively looking for a job, provide this along with I-864 from primary sponsor (Your Spouse)

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Currently, my spouse is working on fixing up the house and have it sold before we need to submit AOS cuz we both think having money in the bank looks much better than having the house as an asset which cost a lot to maintain.

For the future, our plan is we both will go back to school. My family is paying for my grad school and he is planning to get a degree in healthcare and go into that industry.

My concern is that when I tell the CO abt me going back to grad school , will the CO misunderstand that my spouse is sponsoring that while actually in fact it is my family who is paying for my education.

And how do we show that we are actively looking for a job?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Currently, my spouse is working on fixing up the house and have it sold before we need to submit AOS cuz we both think having money in the bank looks much better than having the house as an asset which cost a lot to maintain.

For the future, our plan is we both will go back to school. My family is paying for my grad school and he is planning to get a degree in healthcare and go into that industry.

My concern is that when I tell the CO abt me going back to grad school , will the CO misunderstand that my spouse is sponsoring that while actually in fact it is my family who is paying for my education.

And how do we show that we are actively looking for a job?

Thanks

It's up to you to provide an accurate picture of your financial situation, along with the I-864. A cover sheet for the I-864 might be a good idea.

You can provide details of your job search, including contacts that you've made, potential employers/interviews/job offers, as appropriate.