Notarizations/Original birth certificate and police record

Hi guys.

Very frustrated with the process of gathering white books and records for filing the i-130 in Guangzhou.

We got married the other day, and went to get the white books the same day. The people at the office told us we would only need the white book for one of our marriage certificates, because both marriage certificates (red books) are essentially the same, the only difference being who's name comes first. I decided better safe than sorry and got white books for both of our marriage certificates despite their advice.

Now my wife has just gotten her white books delivered for the police record and birth certificate... but with no original certificates, only the notarized copy and translation (white book). They apparently said that we won't need original copies, only the white books. Is this right? It doesn't sound right to me.

Thanks!!

Hi guys.

Very frustrated with the process of gathering white books and records for filing the i-130 in Guangzhou.

We got married the other day, and went to get the white books the same day. The people at the office told us we would only need the white book for one of our marriage certificates, because both marriage certificates (red books) are essentially the same, the only difference being who's name comes first. I decided better safe than sorry and got white books for both of our marriage certificates despite their advice.

Now my wife has just gotten her white books delivered for the police record and birth certificate... but with no original certificates, only the notarized copy and translation (white book). They apparently said that we won't need original copies, only the white books. Is this right? It doesn't sound right to me.

Thanks!!

Yes - they are correct - on all points.

My wife just got a new birth certificate, then the white book. She said the translator said she, the translator, must keep the original. So my wife did not get the original back. Ticks me off, but hey? It's Chinatown.

We will see...

Okay thanks. Also, when filing the i-130, should I turn in copies of the white book or the actual white book itself?

The worker who collected my documents when I DCF'ed in February wanted the original whitebooks. It's probably a good idea to have photocopies of them on hand just in case.

Edited by jwdoetsch (see edit history)

Per USCIS Photo copies are fine for petition filing, bring the originals so they can verify the copies.

See I-130 instructions Page #2 regarding copies.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-130instr.pdf

Okay thanks. Also, when filing the i-130, should I turn in copies of the white book or the actual white book itself?

The best practice is usually to turn in copies, but have the original on hand in case they insist on it. Bring ALL originals to the interview, but, again, it's best if you can get them to just LOOK at the original, and ACCEPT the copy.

Okay, one more question regarding records. Will I need my birth certificate for the interview? I've got a copy of it for when I turn in the i-130, but should I have the original sent to me from the US?

Side note- I've read that we need a copy of the front and back of my birth certificate when turning in the i-130, but the back of my birth certificate is blank... Seems strange they'd want a copy of that.

Okay, one more question regarding records. Will I need my birth certificate for the interview? I've got a copy of it for when I turn in the i-130, but should I have the original sent to me from the US?

Side note- I've read that we need a copy of the front and back of my birth certificate when turning in the i-130, but the back of my birth certificate is blank... Seems strange they'd want a copy of that.

The BEST advice (in general) is to have the originals on hand of everything that you sent copies of - but I really don't think it'll be necessary for your birth certificate.

I concur with Randy on the US birth cert, it is needed to prove to USCIS your citizenship when filing the I-130. But is is advisable to bring to the interview the original docs that were copied and attached to the petition so that if the interviewing officer wishes to verify the photo copies they can.

Just to make absolutely sure, since it's been mentioned that we must have all original documents for the interview... I mentioned earlier that the gong zheng chu in my wife's hometown said we wouldn't need the original birth certificate and police record, but when I asked if they were correct I think I mistakenly only asked about filing the i-130, and not about the interview. Should I try to get my wife's original birth certificate and police certificate? Or will those originals not be needed for the interview, just the white books?

For visa interview will need police certificate, Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate(s), Death Certificate(s)

When submitting documents get an extra copy of every one to bring to the USA for any future uses with the exception of the Police certificate, one is fine it is used only at the interview, and you can simply give them the original.

Doesn't the police certificate need to be translated and notarized though (white book)? We got the white-book done for the police certificate but don't have the original. I will get the original, but I will also need the translation right?

Doesn't the police certificate need to be translated and notarized though (white book)? We got the white-book done for the police certificate but don't have the original. I will get the original, but I will also need the translation right?

All the consulate wants are "White Books" If you have the police cert bound together with the translation, you are all set.