Services that deliver/pick up documents from Chinese Embassy?

I want to have my US marriage certificate authenticated at the San Francisco embassy. However, just like applying for a tourist visa, one must apply and pick up in person (anyone can do this for the applicant, doesn't have to be the applicant him or herself) at the embassy. I know there are tons of agencies that will do this for tourist visa, but I have yet to see one that does it for other documents. Any ideas?

Most visa services will do this for you. You will need a "fresh" marriage certificate (issued within the last six months). The notary seal must be authenticated by your state's Secretary of State, and then a seal placed on the document by the Chinese consulate

When I had mine done, it was possible to do the entire thing by mail (when using a visa service), although Doug, who was authenticating his own single certificate, walked mine through the process at the same time.

Even so, when we went to the PSB yesterday for my new visa, they still wanted a separate translation of the certificate, since the authentication process doesn't include a separate Chinese-language translation of the document itself.

• Like 1

I live in Washington state and got my marriage certificate certified by office of secretary of state. Do I need it to be certified by the State Dept. in Washington D.C.?

Most visa services will do this for you. You will need a "fresh" marriage certificate (issued within the last six months). The notary seal must be authenticated by your state's Secretary of State, and then a seal placed on the document by the Chinese consulate

When I had mine done, it was possible to do the entire thing by mail (when using a visa service), although Doug, who was authenticating his own single certificate, walked mine through the process at the same time.

Even so, when we went to the PSB yesterday for my new visa, they still wanted a separate translation of the certificate, since the authentication process doesn't include a separate Chinese-language translation of the document itself.

Thanks Randy! By the way, after my marriage certificate is authenticated by Secretary of State and Chinese embassy. I bring it to Civil Affairs Bureau (

民政局) at my wife's home town and they will take care of it? What will they give me? A Chinese marriage "Red book?"

I live in Washington state and got my marriage certificate certified by office of secretary of state. Do I need it to be certified by the State Dept. in Washington D.C.?

Never mind, found my answer :)

Documents issued in certain states must also be authenticated by the US Department of State after certification by the local Secretary of State's office. These states include Washington DC, Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia and Wyoming.

Thanks Randy! By the way, after my marriage certificate is authenticated by Secretary of State and Chinese embassy. I bring it to Civil Affairs Bureau (

民政局) at my wife's home town and they will take care of it? What will they give me? A Chinese marriage "Red book?"

Your marriage certificate is used to document the fact that you are married - use it whenever you are applying for something which requires that proof. We carry a copy of the certified copy (including the seal and the separate certified translation) with us on every trip, and use it when applying for visas at the PSB Entry and Exit bureau. Also when registering your residence at the local PSB.

No, your certified marriage certificate is the equivalent of the red book - it's just not red. The Chinese authorities won't issue a red book, since you're already married.