Interview March 24... Include 2014 Tax Return?

While I've got all of the documents ready for my wife's interview (including last 3 tax returns for myself and the co-sponsors), I was wondering if I should include my 2014 return (not filed yet) as well? The co-sponsor's income is above and beyond the requirements for financial support ($100k+/year), but my last 3 returns are kind of shaky as I've been building a business (online) and living off of savings while in China.

Either way, I'm planning on including a summary of the financials/evidence for my company showing monthly growth since June and even my personal daily income since November.

Off topic: I've also been wondering if it's possible for me to go into the consulate with my wife to provide support and help during document intake? She speaks fluent English but I know it's going to be a stressful day and it would be great if I could be there to help.

No, you will not be able to go inside with her. I was there with mine but had to wait outside, like all the others. My junk so far: http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/47406-preliminarily-approved-ccp-citic-cgi-stanley-uid-number-birth-cert/

I will be very surprised if they don't ask for both 2014 Tax returns for you and your co-sponsor. Just my opinion and I am sure the experts will pipe in here soon to tell you. Do they require it only after April 15? That is maybe the question and I don't know. I would do it if you have time and means to do so. They will ask for further documentation after the interview, like with me, if they want it.

No you will not be able to join your SO during her interview.

She will be on her own.

You will have to wait outside the consulate.

we just had our interview(IR1/IR2) last week 03/02/15.

Our interview letter clearly stated to bring current year tax records to interview.

Don't worry my friend!

Just fill/do your taxes and make a copy of your 2014 taxes.

(1040,1040A or1040EZ) and print out the completed forms for interview.

GZ does not care if you have submitted your current taxes to the IRS.

they just need to check your $$$

This is what i did and our interview went great with visa issued

Good luck.

Mike

Typically they do not and cannot require current years returns before April 15.

I would bring any financial papers, and a simple explanation that you have not yet had opportunity to file this year's return.

Here is the exact wording from the "IV Instruction DS-260 07222015.pfd" interview preparation packet:

"Immediate relative (CR/IR) and family preference (F) cases: An original I-864 (or I-864EX, if applicable) signed by the petitioner must be submitted with her or her most recent Federal income tax return."

So based on that wording I have a feeling that Dan is right from a technical standpoint. Bringing my 2014 return even though it's not included in the I-864 itself may cause issues of its own, and there's no way for me to get new/updated I-864 and I-864A from my co-sponsor before my wife has her interview. I'll be sure to include reference to this document, along with wording like you mentioned, Dan, with my sponsorship documents.

Well, it's like Randy would say: if you've filed the return then bring it, but if you don't have it then you just don't have it. Do what you can.

By the way, I am in the same step of the process as you, OP, and I actually fired of an email to the Immigration Unit this morning. I'll post the answer when I get it in a few days.

-J

Well, it's like Randy would say: if you've filed the return then bring it, but if you don't have it then you just don't have it. Do what you can.

By the way, I am in the same step of the process as you, OP, and I actually fired of an email to the Immigration Unit this morning. I'll post the answer when I get it in a few days.

-J

Um? I know thing things have changed over the last 10 years form the last time i went

down this road.

Maybe I'm wrong during this time but back in the day DON'T poke GZ.

I know each and every case is different.

This is just my opinion but it is very easy to fill out your tax forms and bring them to the interview.

Give them to your SO for interview day and summit them during document intake, It can't hurt! (HINT! the VO will not take anything your SO has in hand during interview)

Over the last 10 years i have seen GZ pull out the blue slip wanting current tax papers or updated AOS

Just because the instructions say to BRING THIS? don't mean GZ will ask for something else you did not prepared for.

You need to think outside of the box and be VERY! prepared for any and all questions during the interview.

On interview day/Document intake will be the only time you will be able to let the VO see what you have.

Better too have more than less.

You need to feel what your gut says and you hart.

Back in the day many would say front load your case with all the info you can get.

Myself? I believe were giving GZ to much ammo and more opportunity to ask more question during the interview.

I have done this twice now.

First time i only gave GZ what was asked for in the instructions, Nothing more, nothing less.

Received visa after a small bump in the road with a blue slip.

First time questions asked? Wanted to see updated I-864.

Given a blue slip for non vaccination for CR-1

This time around i only gave (Front load) 6 pictures and was only asked 2, IMO stupid question. Where did you meet? and how old are you?

Visa issued just like that.

The morel of this story is GZ can AND will ask for anything they want.

GZ is the law and is god and they ALWAYS win!

There is nothing you/we can do about it but do as they ask.

As Ronny would say. We all get the visa in the end.

Good luck my friend and God speed.

Mike

-J

Um? I know thing things have changed over the last 10 years form the last time i went

down this road.

Huh? Are you suggesting that sending them a 'email' through their IV inquiry webform is detrimental? That makes sense if it's argumentative but... what if you have legitimate questions? I don't think it's even a consular officer that replies to the inquiries; it's probably some Chinese staffers working in the GZ IV unit, right?

My point was that in every case it's probably best to prepare as much stuff as you can, separating what's 'required' and what's extra so if it's asked for in the interview then it can be given. But, like I think Randy would probably say, you can't give something you don't have so don't go crazy over stuff.

But your point is an important one, Mike; you can prepare everything that's asked for and more so, but there's a good chance that it still won't be enough and that the case might get blue-slipped. Everybody should adjust their expectations and attitudes accordingly: you shouldn't be shocked and disappointed when blue-slipped, and you should plan accordingly so that any blue-slip request can be handled (for example: don't buy two tickets to the US and have your spouse do an interview like a week before your current Residence Permit expires and you have to be out of the country because you aren't going to have enough time to deal with the blue-slip and get the visa issued and picked up).

Just to clarify, mike, are you suggesting that submitting inquiries by webform on the GZ USCIS IV contact page is bad for your case? I'm screwed then because I sent two messages.

-J

down this road.

Huh? Are you suggesting that sending them a 'email' through their IV inquiry webform is detrimental? That makes sense if it's argumentative but... what if you have legitimate questions? I don't think it's even a consular officer that replies to the inquiries; it's probably some Chinese staffers working in the GZ IV unit, right?

My point was that in every case it's probably best to prepare as much stuff as you can, separating what's 'required' and what's extra so if it's asked for in the interview then it can be given. But, like I think Randy would probably say, you can't give something you don't have so don't go crazy over stuff.

But your point is an important one, Mike; you can prepare everything that's asked for and more so, but there's a good chance that it still won't be enough and that the case might get blue-slipped. Everybody should adjust their expectations and attitudes accordingly: you shouldn't be shocked and disappointed when blue-slipped, and you should plan accordingly so that any blue-slip request can be handled (for example: don't buy two tickets to the US and have your spouse do an interview like a week before your current Residence Permit expires and you have to be out of the country because you aren't going to have enough time to deal with the blue-slip and get the visa issued and picked up).

Just to clarify, mike, are you suggesting that submitting inquiries by webform on the GZ USCIS IV contact page is bad for your case? I'm screwed then because I sent two messages.

NO! That is what the web form is for, To ask question.

Though GZ will have a record of it.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Also it's going to take 45-60 days before you get a reply.

All I'm saying IF you can bring updated tax forms, Then bring them, If not then don't worry about.

You have nothing to loss and everything to gain.

I have seem over on VJ many members having issues AOS (I-864)

I submitted an updated 1040 during interview last week even though i did not file it with the IRS yet.

On our interview letter it said it might be a good idea to bring updated tax forms to interview.

The key word here is might be a good idea and said nothing that it was required.

I was just being prepared just in case.

Mike.

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

We did not bring the tax return for a June interview. Because IRS in its infinite wisdom refused to issue a TIN to my wife even she has a bank account and is entitled to have one issued after waiting four freaking hours in line. I had no way of reporting her SSN and filed as married filing jointly or so I filed for a deferral not wanting to deal with single status in the interview. Luckily it did not come up in the interview. The freaking beureacrates.

Edited by jonathantwu (see edit history)

We did not bring the tax return for a June interview. Because IRS in its infinite wisdom refused to issue a TIN to my wife even she has a bank account and is entitled to have one issued after waiting four freaking hours in line. I had no way of reporting her SSN and filed as married filing jointly or so I filed for a deferral not wanting to deal with single status in the interview. Luckily it did not come up in the interview. The freaking beureacrates.

The W-7 NEEDS to be submitted WITH the tax return

You can always file Married filing Separate returns and amended after immigrating.