I-130, Lines 19 and 20

Hello,

I hope this isn't a repeat- I looked at some of the topics, but didn't seem to find what I was looking for.

Anyway, I'm filling out the I-130 for my wife, who is currently living with me in the US, and so I haven't entered anything on line 19,

(Your relative's address abroad), because she is living here.

Line 20 asks to write her name and foreign address in her native (Chinese) alphabet.

Does she just have to write her name, since she's living in the US, or leave it blank?

Thank you very much!

Bill :)

A little confused here?

You say your wife is already in the U.S.

How did she come to the U.S.?

What visa did/or she have now in order to come here.

Need a little more info/background on your story.

I-130 is for:

I-130, Petition for Alien Relative Purpose of Form

For citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States to establish the relationship to certain alien relatives who wish to immigrate to the United States.
Note: A separate form must be filed for each eligible relative. USCIS processes Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, as a visa number becomes available. Filing and approval of an I-130 is only the first step in helping a relative immigrate to the United States. Eligible family members must wait until there is a visa number available before they can apply for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status to a lawful permanent resident.

Others will chime in soon with more help.

A little confused here?

You say your wife is already in the U.S.

How did she come to the U.S.?

What visa did/or she have now in order to come here.

Need a little more info/background on your story.

I-130 is for:

I-130, Petition for Alien RelativePurpose of Form

For citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States to establish the relationship to certain alien relatives who wish to immigrate to the United States.

Note: A separate form must be filed for each eligible relative. USCIS processes Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, as a visa number becomes available. Filing and approval of an I-130 is only the first step in helping a relative immigrate to the United States. Eligible family members must wait until there is a visa number available before they can apply for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status to a lawful permanent resident.

Others will chime in soon with more help.

"immigrate to the United States" refers, in this context, to applying for a green card, which is exactly what she is doing. It may be filed for U.S. residents, also, when filed with an I-485 - Application to Register Permanent Residence.

The other information you ask for is not needed to answer his question.

I would put "N/A" in those fields. It is used to provide contact information for the overseas Consulate/Embassy.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Where does it say anywhere in the I-130 instructions to use the I-130 for a green card?

I don't see in the OP post stating applying for green card.

Assuming that is what there are doing.

Could be here on work visa, Student visa and got married in the U.S.

Then the I-130 would be used.

We do not know there history just by assuming.

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

Where does it say anywhere in the I-130 instructions to use the I-130 for a green card?

I don't see in the OP post stating applying for green card.

Assuming that is what there are doing.

Could be here on work visa, Student visa and got married in the U.S.

Then the I-130 would be used.

We do not know there history just by assuming.

His question was asked and answered. He is free to provide additional information about his situation if he chooses to do so.

YOU answered your own question. The purpose of FILING the I-130 is to allow an alien relative to immigrate to the United States (APPLY FOR A GREEN CARD).

Purpose of Form For citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States to establish the relationship to certain alien relatives who wish to immigrate to the United States.

An APPROVED I-130 allows your alien relative, if overseas, to APPLY for an immigrant visa, which will allow them to PHYSICALLY immigrate to the U.S. It ALSO allows them to (in USCIS-speak) "immigrate to the U.S.", or apply for a green card.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Just to be clear - "immigrating to the United States" is USCIS-speak for "applying for a green card".

The K-1 is considered a "non-immigrant visa" BECAUSE it does NOT involve applying for a green card - the beneficiary must do that by applying to Adjust Status only AFTER moving (physically immigrating) to the U.S.

OK, Your right and I'm wrong.

All i know is that when my wife came here in 2007 and we filed for AOS we did not fill out the I-130 again for green card.

Seeing that the OP wife is Already in the U.S. and living with him.

I guess i fill out the wrong forms this time around.

OK, Your right and I'm wrong.

All i know is that when my wife came here in 2007 and we filed for AOS we did not fill out the I-130 again for green card.

Seeing that the OP wife is Already in the U.S. and living with him.

I guess i fill out the wrong forms this time around.

The I-485 is the form to use to apply for Adjustment of Status - the I-130 is a Petition for Alien Relative - the "Alien" may be resident, or non-resident (in the U.S.).

When applying from overseas, the CR/IR visa will result in a green card upon arrival in the U.S. and processing at the POE.

You say living in the USA, can I ask what type of visa is she here on?

My wife's cousin was here on a F-1 student visa she married last year a US citizen and filed I-485 and I-130 together to adjust status in the states rather than travel to China for a spouse visa.

My wife entered the USA on a K-1 fiancee visa, we married and then filed an I-485 to adjust status, no I-130 required because she could adjust status based on the K-1 and marriage to the person who filed the I-129F for her K-1.

• Like 1

You say living in the USA, can I ask what type of visa is she here on?

My wife's cousin was here on a F-1 student visa she married last year a US citizen and filed I-485 and I-130 together to adjust status in the states rather than travel to China for a spouse visa.

My wife entered the USA on a K-1 fiancee visa, we married and then filed an I-485 to adjust status, no I-130 required because she could adjust status based on the K-1 and marriage to the person who filed the I-129F for her K-1.

Amen!!

Mike, you ain't crazy.

tsap seui

Now now, no one was trying to step on those sensitive toes Randy... and....DING DING DING....I read every post to see where anyone indicated or alluded to the OP as being crazy. Couldn't find a soul who intimated even remotely that he was. My post was only patting Mike on the back for asking some very pertinent questions. My Lord, even Dan "the Man" asked the OP pert near the same questions as Mike.

In the past it has always been okay on Candle For Love for more seasoned visa veterans to ask newer posters questions about their circumstances. I thought Mike, and Dan asked for some more details in an effort to be even more helpful to this fella...IE, is his wife here on an immigration visa, then he need fill out only an I-485 form: was she here in America and married the guy on a visitor, or business, or education visa? If so, does he understand he needs to make a concurrent application filing the I-485 along with the I-130. You know, trying to be very helpful neighbors to a new poster.

You did a great job Sargeant. You answered the OP's question, gave Mike a real cute condescending lecture on USCIS "speak" as you see it, and you explained (although no one had indicated that he was so) that the OP is not crazy. Not all of us are (just the facts ma'am) Sergeant Fridays. Some like to chat with folks, make them feel welcome on Candle, not alone in this immigration game. You know, nice guys and ladies.

tsap seui

In the future, if questions by any of us regular, seasoned, posters to newer posters are going to be treated in this sort of condescending manner by a moderator, could you please make a posting about it, so we will know not to ask any questions that any of us felt might better help newer posters? Candle has always been a nice warm touchy feely sort of board.....not just another "touchy" board.

• Like 2

On a side note, I simply cut and paste her name in Chinese characters from an email in which I had her write it to me. It pasted right on the form. If a USA address you don't need to do that, because no foreign address.

My ex just filed an I-130 to immigrate her adopted nice living with her in the USA. I believe we did her name but not the address in Chinese.

Edited by Doug (see edit history)