Can someone tell me the ups and downs on a couple things?

Hi folks,

I don't mean this post to be political in any way whatsoever. Part of it is venting, and part of it is wondering....

There's a lot of frustration with the process, as you know. There's the time factor, and the beaurocracy factor. But let me tell you what I'm seeing in my neighborhood.

I see a good number of Chinese women coming here in my town, and they all come here the same way...they manage a tourist visa, and then claim asylum. Bingo...they're here to stay. I personally know a few of these ladies, and know OF about a dozen more. And here we are...going through the official process...and it takes up to a year to get our honey here. Kinda makes you grind your teeth a little. I don't begrudge these ladies anything, I just wish the official process for getting your wife here was a little more streamlined, ya know? *sigh*....ok....*Stepping down off of the soapbox*.... I know we're doing the right thing, and going the safest way. I just miss my honey s' all....

Can anyone tell me what the ups and downs of doing things an alternative way is? I don't plan on it, of course - I'm embroiled int he process already, but I'm truly curious...

Warren

You are right on target for what I'm seeing with many Chinese women...get a B-2 visa, and get married on it, or go claim asylum. Our government no longer cares about illegal immigration, yet, you try and do it legally, and they want you to kiss their asses. I have heard so many stories from my wife about how most of the Chinese women she talks to, got their green cards that quite honestly, I have thrown my hands into the air and started telling people (NEVER on, or through contacts on, Candle)...."get your girlfriend a B-2 visa and either marry her here on her visit, or tell her and all of her friends to just go claim asylum...anything but the legal way, it is too expensive and way too much bullshit to put up with." Plus, all of those asylum folks get free medical care, and I can only guess a parade to celebrate their "freedom". :rotfl: Just last week, I heard one of my wife's contacts down in Florida got her daughter over here on a B-2 visa....the woman found her daughter some goofball, that neither one of them even begins like, to marry her on the second week of her "visit". :rotfl: And so it goes. Daughter now has the 2 year green card and is on her way to a divorce (in 1 year and 9 months) and the trusty ol' 10 year green card.

Good luck with your application and interview. Some of us still believe in doing it the "honest" way. :victory:

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)
Guest SloppyZhou_

Stepping into the facts office presents a cornucopia of success, confusion, hardship and failure. To define these:

Success: Get the visa. Ongoing success is staying together.

Confusion: The immigration system in America is a mess, wrought with fraud, abuse, and lack of due process. For almost every direction, there is a counter direction. Still, in the end there is very little anyone can do about it except to follow the chalk lines and hop from square to square. If you step on a line you may or may not be called out.

Hardship: Separation from each other and difficulty in completing all the paperwork. Your partner will need your patience in trying to get to the bottom of all the information required to complete the forms, including the invisible mind reader paperwork that requires for you to read the minds of dickheads at the US consulate, who may or may not be on your side.

Failure: May surface with a rejection at USCIS level, or more likely the consular level. Some weather it out and try again and later succeed, and some don't. Many get divorced later due to the myriad of challenges that face a couple trying to mix two of the most different cultures on planet earth into one of the most unfair immigration systems on earth.

Didn't mean to touch a nerve.....but it's good to see that I'm not seeing things, or that the behavior isn't just localized.

I truly appreciate the honesty shown here.

And I applaud the pragmatism and philosphical outlook. Yifang and I maintain it as best we can. When one of us has the screamin' mimis from missing the other, the other one talks em down.
I had to grin at the "invisible mind reader" part....there does indeed seem to be a lot of that going around....but I must say - this forum helps to uncover a lot of it from the experiences of folks, and for that, I'm thankful.
I'm in the process for the long haul. It may be fairly quick, or we may see roadbumps along the way, but I have faith that in the end, love conquers all. Sounds trite, I know, but it's an anchor to hang on to. We're trying real hard to just see it as an iterative process....if things don't go right the first time, we go to round 2...then round 3. Hopefully it'll never go that far.
I also see the mix of cultures as an exciting thing, as does Yifang. We have so much to learn from each other, in so many ways. We approach it with tolerance, humor (a LOT of humor!) and as much patience as we can muster. If one of us reacts in a way that is not understood by the other, we've learned to recognize it....and we stop, and talk it over until we both understand. One of those discussions was about some folks coming to the US quickly, when we seem to be crawling. We both have agreed that we want to do this the "right way". But it's nice to know what the repercussions are if you approach it from another angle. I think we'll try ro avoid the chalk lines! :victory:
Hey! I have an idea! maybe we can claim asylum from the US government! Would we then get free health care too? And I'm always up for a parade! :rotfl:
By the way Tsap...ya gotta feel just a little bad for the goofball who's heading for a bad wake-up call....
Warren

When I was looking at visa options for my wife, someone who had knowledge of the many who come from Mexico told me that all I had to do was get her (my now wife) in the country and I would be able to get her a green card. Besides having a much better option (DCF) as I looked in to it the one negative to adjusting status from a Visitor's visa is it does tend to take even longer than applying through UCSIS and waiting outside the country. For some, the extra wait does not matter, but in most cases you can not leave the US. Denying my wife the ability to see her father and family for what I was told would be 3+ years was not an acceptable option.

• Like 1

Chances of success are fair. However it is not without risk and the consequences of failure are daunting. She could be deported and banned from re-entering the US permanently. Not worth the risk IMO. The new immigration policy is focused mainly on undocumented immigrants who came here as children. It doesn't give amnesty to every illegal in the country. Yes the immigration system is broken. Neither political party is seriously interested in fixing it. Big business likes cheap labor. I have said for years the solution to illegal immigration is simple. Stop focusing on the immigrants and make the penalty for hiring them so severe it is no longer worth the risk. If there are no jobs they won't come. If they can't find a job they'll go home.

• Like 5

Chances of success are fair. However it is not without risk and the consequences of failure are daunting. She could be deported and banned from re-entering the US permanently. Not worth the risk IMO. The new immigration policy is focused mainly on undocumented immigrants who came here as children. It doesn't give amnesty to every illegal in the country. Yes the immigration system is broken. Neither political party is seriously interested in fixing it. Big business likes cheap labor. I have said for years the solution to illegal immigration is simple. Stop focusing on the immigrants and make the penalty for hiring them so severe it is no longer worth the risk. If there are no jobs they won't come. If they can't find a job they'll go home.

I wish I could "LIKE" this a thousand times Carl. Am I ticked? Uh....back to reading a book...while my wife and I are legally separated. That is what the legal system does to you.

• Like 1

Beachey,

Very good point! it probably would take longer just to get the tourist visa!

Carl,

Also agreed. It's not worth the risk to me.

I've learned a little since my original post.

One of the Chinese ladies I know is not able to go home, and her 2 daughters are with grandma and grandpa in Beijing. She's been here about 3 years now after claiming asylum. She came here for the possibility for a better job and a better life for her kids (eventually). She has a good job and her court date is just about here. She's engaged to a nice fella, and they'll be married soon, (probably before the court date, and thus an AOS will be filed, I expect.) so it's kinda worked out for her...mostly. She cries a lot from missing her kids.

But the fact is, if the possibility of the job wasn't there, she wouldn't have come. I don't begrudge her a better life, but it is maddening to have to wait so long for my sweetie, when you see others living here already, who didn't go through the process. And one of the worst parts is my friends asking (over and over it seems) "Why is it taking so long? Why doesn't she just come over here and stay, like all the rest?"

:ranting:

*Sigh*

Well, time is best spent now planning my next trip to Yifang, and trying not to look on the USCIS website every day.....I reckon I'll get the NOA2 in snail mail before I ever see anything on there....

Warren

I have said for years the solution to illegal immigration is simple. Stop focusing on the immigrants and make the penalty for hiring them so severe it is no longer worth the risk. If there are no jobs they won't come. If they can't find a job they'll go home.

What Carl said.

Such a simple and easy solution yet Congress cannot get their shit together.

• Like 2

I have said for years the solution to illegal immigration is simple. Stop focusing on the immigrants and make the penalty for hiring them so severe it is no longer worth the risk. If there are no jobs they won't come. If they can't find a job they'll go home.

What Carl said.

While I agree that the solution to problems of these type is to focus on the demand, like many things in this debate. I am not so sure it is that simple. The truth is corporations and businesses already use an electronic system to identify if someone is legally eligible for employment - E-Verify. A system you describe would likely end up hurting small businesses and individuals who lack the knowledge and resources to do thorough checks

What Carl said.

While I agree that the solution to problems of these type is to focus on the demand, like many things in this debate. I am not so sure it is that simple. The truth is corporations and businesses already use an electronic system to identify if someone is legally eligible for employment - E-Verify. A system you describe would likely end up hurting small businesses and individuals who lack the knowledge and resources to do thorough checks

So prices go up for those products and that is the end of it. We either buy or not.

Truth is I don't see Americans jumping up and down saying "pick me! pick me!" to work in the fields. We do need a guest worker program. Those guest workers also need protection to keep them from being abused. Something they definitely aren't getting now.

Truth is I don't see Americans jumping up and down saying "pick me! pick me!" to work in the fields. We do need a guest worker program. Those guest workers also need protection to keep them from being abused. Something they definitely aren't getting now.

Agree, but it doesn't take 13 million of them. I know you know. Young people used to have to go do all kinds of unpleasant jobs. I did.

Edited by Doug (see edit history)