Can someone tell me the ups and downs on a couple things?

She says it has to do with showing that her parents are really her parents, according to white book maker. She has her brother tracking down something from her home town. A shame, she just got back from there from Chinese New Year. Anyway, when she gets this I will let you know and also if it is accepted later.

yes, the law in China is that for births after approximately 1991, the (new format) certified birth certificate is issued. Prior to that time, our wives were ALL (with maybe the existence of an exception or two or three who would be UNDER that age of 24), no birth certificates were issued at the time of birth. Her Chinese ID and hukou shows that her birth WAS registered in accordance with the laws in effect at the time of her birth. By Chinese law, it is the white book that is issued to VERIFY that information for use overseas.

I suppose it may be possible for her and her parents to get the DNA testing or whatever is required for the new format - if so, that should take care of the issue for her. But it seems like the consulate is WAY over-reaching their authority on this one. Birth certificates are issued according to Chinese law, not consulary demands.

The requirements for the new-style certificates won't be easy for many to meet - in cases where one or more parents have passed on, or otherwise refuse to participate - as we've already seen.

How was she notified that the second submission was inadequate?

Also, if I remember correctly, your wife had some issues with where she was actually born. When was her birth first registered in a hukou, and when was her first Chinese ID issued?

You can see the email they sent in my Preliminary Approval thread.

That just says to send in a "notarized birth certificate" - it's not clear that you'd want to do anything more than that.

She says it has to do with showing that her parents are really her parents, according to white book maker. She has her brother tracking down something from her home town. A shame, she just got back from there from Chinese New Year. Anyway, when she gets this I will let you know and also if it is accepted later.

yes, the law in China is that for births after approximately 1991, the (new format) certified birth certificate is issued. Prior to that time, our wives were ALL (with maybe the existence of an exception or two or three who would be UNDER that age of 24), no birth certificates were issued at the time of birth. Her Chinese ID and hukou shows that her birth WAS registered in accordance with the laws in effect at the time of her birth. By Chinese law, it is the white book that is issued to VERIFY that information for use overseas.

I suppose it may be possible for her and her parents to get the DNA testing or whatever is required for the new format - if so, that should take care of the issue for her. But it seems like the consulate is WAY over-reaching their authority on this one. Birth certificates are issued according to Chinese law, not consulary demands.

The requirements for the new-style certificates won't be easy for many to meet - in cases where one or more parents have passed on, or otherwise refuse to participate - as we've already seen.

How was she notified that the second submission was inadequate?

Also, if I remember correctly, your wife had some issues with where she was actually born. When was her birth first registered in a hukou, and when was her first Chinese ID issued?

You can see the email they sent in my Preliminary Approval thread.

That just says to send in a "notarized birth certificate" - it's not clear that you'd want to do anything more than that.

I am not sure, the Chinese girl told my wife something at the interview. So what do you mean, a Chinese notarized Chinese birth cert by a Chinese notary from some Chinese agency? Then get a notarized certified translation copy white book?

I should send them my white toilet.

Whatever my wife is doing, or having her brother do, it is beginning to take an emotional toll on her. She was hoping he would finish today, but after spending the whole day, he must go back tomorrow.

Edited by Doug (see edit history)

I am not sure, the Chinese girl told my wife something at the interview. So what do you mean, a Chinese notarized Chinese birth cert by a Chinese notary from some Chinese agency? Then get a notarized certified translation copy white book?

I should send them my white toilet.

Whatever my wife is doing, or having her brother do, it is beginning to take an emotional toll on her. She was hoping he would finish today, but after spending the whole day, he must go back tomorrow.

Yes, even the phrase "notarized birth certificate" is cryptic - it's sad that they would leave you not knowing exactly what they want. The only actual notaries in China are at the consulate - we'll be going to see one ourselves on Monday in Guangzhou.

But it seems to me that they're still just asking for the same white book format that you've already submitted twice.

Is the consulate really trying to apply a post-1991 Chinese policy to Chinese documentation for people born before that date?

• 9 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm just posting in this thread I started way back when, instead of starting a new one.

In a couple days, I hop across the pond to be there for Yifang and KeYu's interview. We've gone through the preparation, practicing, jitters, laughter, more laughter, and I think we're ready. We have all the docs, and more docs, a gazillion pictures with family, and the folders I'm bringing over look like a bundle set up for OJ's trial. Shes organized things to her satisfaction, knows where all the docs are located, and is comfortable with all the questions we've practiced.

Well...at least Yifang is ready...I'm sure to be a nervous wreck waiting outside during the interview.

But this post is really to thank all of you. The knowledge base alone here is wonderful. but that isn't the thing. The folks here help. And when you get help and advice from folks who have slogged their way through the process, it also comes with compassion, and the understanding of where the poor slob is in his head that's asking all these silly, over-asked questions. So thank you guys, each and every one, for the patience, support, and humor along the way.

I'll try to document all that occurs while we're there. Hopefully, I'll have good news to report when I get back. But if not, I know it'll be ok in the long run. If I've learned nothing else in this place, I've learned that persistence and patience pays off in the end.

Randy, Dan, Carl, Rawknee, Doug, Mick, and all...again....thank you guys.

Warren

Hey guys,

I'm just posting in this thread I started way back when, instead of starting a new one.

In a couple days, I hop across the pond to be there for Yifang and KeYu's interview. We've gone through the preparation, practicing, jitters, laughter, more laughter, and I think we're ready. We have all the docs, and more docs, a gazillion pictures with family, and the folders I'm bringing over look like a bundle set up for OJ's trial. Shes organized things to her satisfaction, knows where all the docs are located, and is comfortable with all the questions we've practiced.

Well...at least Yifang is ready...I'm sure to be a nervous wreck waiting outside during the interview.

But this post is really to thank all of you. The knowledge base alone here is wonderful. but that isn't the thing. The folks here help. And when you get help and advice from folks who have slogged their way through the process, it also comes with compassion, and the understanding of where the poor slob is in his head that's asking all these silly, over-asked questions. So thank you guys, each and every one, for the patience, support, and humor along the way.

I'll try to document all that occurs while we're there. Hopefully, I'll have good news to report when I get back. But if not, I know it'll be ok in the long run. If I've learned nothing else in this place, I've learned that persistence and patience pays off in the end.

Randy, Dan, Carl, Rawknee, Doug, Mick, and all...again....thank you guys.

Warren

Warren, I love seeing the success of others in this immigration game. I feel that Yifang will "pick the lucky ducky" and you guys will be just fine at her interview.

I am really happy to see that you can make it over to be with her on that big day. It is an awesome experience that you will forever remember. I was with Wenyan and Fengqi at both of their interviews, not that my being there made one iota of difference to the outcome of her interview, but I always felt like interview day was my most important trip of all...to be there in support of the most precious two people in my life. Good for you, man!!!!

Yes, it is stressful when that clock starts to suddenly reverse it's slow self and seems to run forward at an alarming rate towards interview day but you know you have done everything possible to paint a strong bona fide relationship with Yifang, and you have the best wishes from all of us behind you guys on this day.

Good luck to you and Yifang. And good fortune to you both when you can both leave Guangzhou on that day which will become the first day of the rest of your lives. :victory:

• Like 1