Get Police Records while NOT in China

Hi all, and thanks in advance for any help with this issue!

It's a little different problem because neither I nor my fiancee are Chinese citizens, but we do have to deal with the Chinese gov't for part of our own fiancee visa process.

My fiancee is British, and she spent about 18 months in China in two locations on the mainland, Guangdong and Suzhou. We've sent the I-129f in and been approved, so we're working on the documents that she'll need to bring to her interview in London when the time comes.

According to the US website, she'll need police records from the UK, AND from any country she has resided in for more than 12 months, so, China.

I can't find any reliable info on how to request these forms from China if you're not actually IN China at the present time. Most forums talk about going to local government agencies in person and applying. Obviously neither of us can do that at this time.

Anyone have any helpful hints on what to do next?

Thanks again!

What type of visa was used to reside in China?

Certificates are available for those in the J-1, Z, and X categories. The GOC does not issue police records for temporary residents of China in L or F visa categories.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/CH.html#policerecords-6

If resided in China on a visa that did allow residency (J-1,Z,X), do you know someone in China that lives in the area that you did, If so then perhaps this person could aquire the record for you.

Probably would need to send the following:

• A notarized letter making the request and authorizing the person to get this record and English translation from a notary office on your behalf.
  • Copy of passport and visa showing category, and timeframe of residence.

Perhaps contacting a lawyer who works in China, may be able to help you get this record. This one is known to be of help: http://www.marcellislaw.com/

Thanks dnoblett!

She had a Z visa. I've read about the notarized letter/ passport visa, but when I researched it it said this option was only available in 'very few small cities' and not in other locations.

This info came from the Canadian visa advice page, which is more informative than the US version. Here's a link if anyone would like to look themselves: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/china.asp

I will investigate the lawyer, and thanks again!

Police Certificates for Foreigners Living in China

If you need a police certificate for any reason from having lived in China, it may be possible to obtain one from the local PSB Entry and Exit Bureau. You will need a Chinese work permit and a letter from your employer. Contact the PSB folks for the details of what they need.

You WILL NOT need one for the US visa process, unless you are notified otherwise.

from the British embassy

http://ukinchina.fco...-other-services

If you wish to obtain a criminal record clearance from the Chinese authorities, you will need to apply for a Certificate of No Criminal Record 无犯罪记录证明

* To apply for a certificate while you are resident in China, you should apply to your local Public Security Bureau.
* To obtain a certificate after you have left China you should contact the local PSB. However you can also try service companies that offer services to help foreign residents.
* In Shanghai's district (Including municipality of Shanghai, provinces of Jiangsu, Anhui and Zhejiang), the local Notary Public is responsible for issuing such a certificate.
* In Guangzhou and Shenzhen, the local Notary Public is responsible for issuing such a certificate.
* In Chongqing's district (Including municipality of Chongqing, provinces of Sichuan, Yunan and Guizhou), the nearest police station (to be visited first) and the local Notary Public are both responsible for issuing such a certificate.
* In Beijing, the Shuang Xiong company offers this service for current or former residents of Beijing

Their contact details are:

No.3 Dongdajie (100m east of Public Security Bureau), Andingmen, Dong Cheng District
Tel: +86 10 6402 7616 / 6402 7596; Fax: +86 10 6402 7596
Email: shuangxiong516@sina.com

Haven't seen anyone use that one before, however the majority of cases we see involve Chinese spouse still living in their home city or still in country requiring them to at least make a trip to their home city to get their notary documents.

What kind of price are they asking? I would probably use them.