US 2014 National Movers

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Where American are moving or hope to move to. Northeast Residents Flee for Third Consecutive Year. Study Shows Oregon Increases Lead as Top Moving Destination for 2014.

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Screen-Shot-2015-01-06-at-7.47.29-AM.jpg

http://www.unitedvanlines.com/about-united/news/movers-study-2014/index.html

I already have the wife relocated to Texas, scouting out the DFW area, we were just down there between Christmas and New Years for a multi purpose trip.

• Wife has a cousin living just north of Dallas who celebrated her marriage on Dec 29
  • We scoped out a few communities, seems the predominant Chinese community is in the North Dallas areas.
  • Wife is checking out various job prospects

Making the move out of my home state of NY due to many factors, amongst them are:

• High taxes
  • A state legislature that only listens to NYC and seems to ignore western NY
  • Excessive regulations, and Licensing (My wife wants to start a business, NY is NOT small business friendly)
  • Cold winters, My wife is from south China, and cannot handle the NY winters, DFW has milder winters.
  • High fuel tax, Currently gas here in Rochester is $2.98, in DFW I saw prices as low as $1.76 (Did I say Taxes?)
  • Property Tax, Here in Rochester an $80,000 home is assessed $5,000 per year tax, in the DFW market it is half that. (Oh yes TAX!)
  • State income tax... (NY 8.82%) (TX 0%) (TAX Again)
  • Sales taxes seem to be about the same at 8%
  • Highway tolls, TX has some toll roads, however nothing like the NY Thruway, (I think I said Taxes)
  • Draconian firearms laws in NY vs TX (Why a background check every time you want to purchase ammo? Showing a pistol permit should be sufficient. Or get caught with more than 7 rounds in that 10 round magazine your pistol came with and get arrested.)

Other deciding factors:

• Like 1

Good luck Dan, that oughta be a really nice place to live. Many vets posts I read talk very highly of Texas as a great state to reside in. Certainly a helluva lot better than NY... :rotfl:

A certain person tells me it rains often in Oregon, especially Portland. He says it's okay to visit, but don't you think about stayin' !!!! :victory:

• Like 2

Welcome to DFW Dan. Many New Yorkers moved here over the years and just LOVE it. Surprisingly they fit right in and embraced the culture too. Most stayed, never moving back to NY. Historically, based on figures from employers and churches, 50% of Westerners moved back West. The Yankees surprised me, when I was in my late 20s. I've had visitors from NY on business and they just loved where I took them. But some of that was years ago. Dallas night life has dwindled. Ft Worth is lively.

If you can't find a job in the Dallas area, then your not looking, no matter how bad the economy is. I have said this my whole life.

Plano is the hotspot for Asians, with the Western side of Plano having dang near 90% Asian school kids. There are a number of tutoring private schools around also. There are good grocery stores and restaurants around. It is like a scattered Chinatown, compared to Bellaire, TX (jam up in Houston, which is an excellent place to visit and shop from time to time). But like everything in Dallas, it is all moving North. Frisco is the hot growing city with more and more new homes going up. I kind of like Allen over all of them. Generally the people you don't want to live around take over anything with a bit of age to it, like North Dallas, Richardson, & etc. little by little. So, Plano may change one year. Some of the problems in Plano, or Collin County, is the strictness of the police and the district attorneys. Asians make mistakes and get arrested over things I think they should not. That area needs Asian representation to soften things to adjust for this overwhelming Asian population they have now, who generally don't get involved in Govt. As you may recall my ex-wife was arrested for shop-lifting, which I know she would never purposely do. A real misunderstanding on her part, and I discovered many others having issues as well. Yet, it is the strictness that keeps it clean and attracts them. I imagine your wife is well adjusted to America now so no problems.

I live in Cresson with about 1000 population, outside of Ft Worth. When my wife gets here I hope she likes it. If not, we may be joining you North of Dallas.

Again WELCOME, and if anything I can do, please ask. :mobile:

• Like 1

Worst thing about Texas is the heat and humidity. I was in Arlington about 11 years ago to help open a new store. In mid April it was 90 degrees and muggy. Electric rates are high too. I remember Mikey telling me his electric bill in the summer was over $300.00 Out west we have a lot of hydroelectric power. My highest electric bill is maybe $60.00 Oregon has high property taxes but we don't have a sales tax. Here in Portland it rains a lot. I always tell people we have two seasons. Rain and summer. As Ronny mentioned the only thing that keeps us from being over run is the rain. I guess that isn't working as well as it used too. A lot of people move here than leave because of the rain. Although I've spent most of my life here I'm originally from Idaho where we would get 3 feet of snow in the front yard. I figured out right after I moved here that you don't have to shovel rain.

• Like 1