What papers for wife's daughter to have for POE?

Happy New Year! Hope all had a nice time with family and frieinds!

Wife's daughter is soon making the trip over. She had some things to take care of there in China before she could come over.

Question. What papers will she need at POE when she arrives? She has the I-551 stamped in her visa. But what actual papers will she need as she comes through? Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Marc

Should be similar as a spouse visa entry, she should have her passport with immigrant visa, and a large sealed brown envelope to turn in at the POE.

Also on international flights there will be a customs declaration form to fill out, personal belongings need not be declared.

• 2 weeks later...

Well she made it over...finally! They actually had her go into another room and asked her a few questions. Wondered why she had gone back after she was issued the K2 and she explained. And wondered how she got this visa being 23 years old when she should've aged out. She explained that and the child protection law that allowed it to happen.

But a couple more questions. Immigration Fee was paid ($165) but they said at the POE that we would have to pay $20 for something? Card production or something like that. Never heard of that one.

Also, when could we expect the actual green card and can we push the social security card process? We went down to the SS office for my wife's card. Is this necessary to move things along and get that ASAP or will it come when it comes.

Thanks!!

If you did not pay the $165 immigration fee just after the interview you can pay it online here: http://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-immigrant-fee

I know nothing about a $20 fee. Only thing that I can think of with "20" in would be I-20 which a non-immigrant student would have for attending school. In your daughter's case she can attend school as a US Resident, no need for an I-20

Give it two weeks after arrival to apply for SSN at the SSA office, it takes at least that long for USCIS to indicate immigrant status on the SAVE database used for verification by the SSA office.

Also as for green-card, the visa in passport should have an I-551 notation so that it will serve as a green-card for up to 1 year.

Glad your daughter made it through the POE without any issues.

One added bonus, is NO REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS, her green-card should be a 10 year unconditional one.

Thanks Dan!

I paid the 'immigration fee' of $165 on August 25, 2014. The Case Receipt Notice from USCIS dated Aug. 25, 2014 said "The USCIS Immigrant Fee you submitted has been received by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for the following applicants and is in process:"

That fee was debited from my account Aug. 26, 2014.

It was paid before the interview, not just after the interview, unless there's another immigration fee I'm not aware of?

Also, and sorry for all the questions, since this will be a 10 year green card, what are the laws for her to get her American citizenship? Is it still 3 years until she can do this like it is for a 2 year green card holder?

Edited by MarcRosie (see edit history)

Daughter will have to wait 5 years of residency before can apply for citizenship. Can file the N-400 at 90 days prior to the 5 year mark.

Give it a few weeks for green card, you should be able to check production status on USCIS webpage.

To clarify what Dan said, she can only file for citizenship after 3 years if she were married to a US citizen for those 3 years. I suppose if she were to meet the love of her life once here and marry she could file three years after married if he were a US citizen.

• Like 1