Odd, strange, what are they thinking?

I first found this story on BBC but I think this particular article on the same story gave a couple more details. I really do wonder what they are thinking!! Here is a link to the story:

http://www.outlookindia.com/news/article/Clothes-Store-in-China-Sparks-Racism-Row-by-Banning-Chinese-Customers/869711

Is it sad or funny that some Chinese people have to pick on their own people? I wonder if there are any creative ways to show the store owners the error in their thinking. Danb

Yeah, it's unclear why they would say "NO, we don't want your business" to the Chinese shoppers, unless they just have so much business that they can afford to turn it away, but this seems to sum up the store's position

the wholesale store mainly sells products to foreigners.

The store had to pay a foreign customer USD 5,000 last week to settle a theft scandal, the salesperson said.

"The surveillance camera footage showed a Chinese customer stole his wallet. But the foreign customer insisted that we [the shop and the Chinese customer] are a theft group," the salesperson said.

"And Chinese women often try lots of clothes but end up buying nothing", the salesperson said, Hong Kong based South China Morning Post reported.

The sign is also to prevent other competitors from copying their designs, another salesperson said.

Most of the businesses along the road, located in the embassy district, cater to Russian traders.

Settling with a customer who is falsely accusing your employees of theft is one thing, but to cater to their prejudices in that way??

It just doesn't seem like a very good business model.

But one thing you'll find in China is clothing made for foreign markets - not always available for purchase in stores, but potentially a good business for those wanting to cater to foreigners (or larger or quality conscious Chinese).

For example, here in Yulin, I can't count on being able to walk into a store and find quality clothing in my size - more than once, I've just stood in the door and shook my head "Nope!". But there's ONE store that manages to get mass marketed (for a foreign market) clothing off an assembly line somewhere and usually have SOMETHING I can wear in a size and quality similar to what I would expect back home. Shirts labeled 3XL are usually equivalent to what I bought as XL in the U.S., but the size 38 (inches) jeans are usually accurately sized.

This clothing is sold branded in China, but often sold overseas by the container load, unbranded, to stores that then put their own brand on.

The store may be on Yabao lu in Bejing. I read another article on that story and it said that, " Around 2003, other stores on the shopping street Yabao Lu reportedly posted signs reading "No Chinese entrance" in Chinese and "Welcome!" in English." That article was at:

http://shanghaiist.com/2014/11/27/chinese-not-admitted-beijing-store-sign.php.

I wonder how received it would be if a store on Fifth Ave in New York posted a sign saying no American shopper allowed/wanted just rich Asians. Just seems odd. Danb

The store may be on Yabao lu in Bejing. I read another article on that story and it said that, " Around 2003, other stores on the shopping street Yabao Lu reportedly posted signs reading "No Chinese entrance" in Chinese and "Welcome!" in English." That article was at:

http://shanghaiist.com/2014/11/27/chinese-not-admitted-beijing-store-sign.php.

I wonder how received it would be if a store on Fifth Ave in New York posted a sign saying no American shopper allowed/wanted just rich Asians. Just seems odd. Danb

I wouldn't think anyone would blink twice at it. It's all in the marketing and what or who they're trying to take advantage of.

I have to disagree with you Randy. In this day and age I don't need a sign telling me that my business or money is not wanted, especially in the US.. In the article about that store the response were pretty not siding with the store by with Chinese people. Personally speaking I would be a bit ashamed working at that store.

Of course once they came to their sense and took the their sign down , I would never shop at their store...even if i could afford it. danb

I have to disagree with you Randy. In this day and age I don't need a sign telling me that my business or money is not wanted, especially in the US.. In the article about that store the response were pretty not siding with the store by with Chinese people. Personally speaking I would be a bit ashamed working at that store.

Of course once they came to their sense and took the their sign down , I would never shop at their store...even if i could afford it. danb

There are plenty of stores that I would never go into. Most of them in a way that's not insulting at all. Insulting your customers is just not good business, including when you tell them not to come in.