AOS in Las Vegas

Last night, JM and I had a long talk. Thursday will be four months in the US for her. She said the last month has felt like being in jail (a gilded cage?). Can't do anything without that darn SSN. I'm sure the baby doesn't help her feel much better either.

So, I called USCIS today. Here are the dates they gave me on what packets they are working on (they received our packet on 1/14/04):

Adv. Parole: January 6, 2004

EAD: November 20, 2003

AOS: January 8 2003!!!

So, it looks like JM can travel to China very soon.... but not likely cuz our baby is due in three weeks. She'll get EAD and a SSN in a couple of months. That's actually perfect timing. But, AOS?????

I reminded the woman I spoke with (she was really nice) that the K-1 expires after 90 days. I said, "What documents do we have to show she's legal?" Her answer? "Don't worry...you've done everything you needed to do." I pressed the issue..."But, we have no proof!" Her response? "I don't know what people do." Great answer...eh?

Last night, JM and I had a long talk.  Thursday will be four months in the US for her.  She said the last month has felt like being in jail (a gilded cage?).  Can't do anything without that darn SSN.  I'm sure the baby doesn't help her feel much better either.

So, I called USCIS today.  Here are the dates they gave me on what packets they are working on (they received our packet on 1/14/04):

EAD:  November 20, 2003

So, it looks like JM can travel to China very soon.... but not likely cuz our baby is due in three weeks.  She'll get EAD and a SSN in a couple of months.  That's actually perfect timing.  But, AOS?????

I reminded the woman I spoke with (she was really nice) that the K-1 expires after 90 days.  I said, "What documents do we have to show she's legal?"  Her answer?  "Don't worry...you've done everything you needed to do."  I pressed the issue..."But, we have no proof!"  Her response?  "I don't know what people do."  Great answer...eh?

Your wife is a non-resident alien (NRA) on a K-1 visa pending AOS. The filing of the I-485 is the record of entry for conditional permanent resident with the USCIS.

The USCIS receipt letter is your proof of status.

Last night, JM and I had a long talk.  Thursday will be four months in the US for her.  She said the last month has felt like being in jail (a gilded cage?).  Can't do anything without that darn SSN.  I'm sure the baby doesn't help her feel much better either.

So, I called USCIS today.  Here are the dates they gave me on what packets they are working on (they received our packet on 1/14/04):

So, it looks like JM can travel to China very soon.... but not likely cuz our baby is due in three weeks.  She'll get EAD and a SSN in a couple of months.  That's actually perfect timing.  But, AOS?????

I reminded the woman I spoke with (she was really nice) that the K-1 expires after 90 days.  I said, "What documents do we have to show she's legal?"  Her answer?  "Don't worry...you've done everything you needed to do."  I pressed the issue..."But, we have no proof!"  Her response?  "I don't know what people do."  Great answer...eh?

Your wife is a non-resident alien (NRA) on a K-1 visa pending AOS. The filing of the I-485 is the record of entry for conditional permanent resident with the USCIS.

That's just my point.....what letter??? We've received nothing...........

And...when does the two year clock start ticking?

Las Vegas office is processing I-485's with a Jan. 01, 2003 receipt notices. As long as you have filed then you are okay just like the lady said. You should be receiving a receipt letter soon. If it is like ours, it will have a range of dates for your convenience and the place for FD-258 fingerprinting.

The two year conditional status starts with the I-551 stamp in the passport.

Las Vegas office is processing I-485's with a Jan. 01, 2003 receipt notices. As long as you have filed then you are okay just like the lady said. You should be receiving a receipt letter soon. If it is like ours, it will have a range of dates for your convenience and the place for FD-258 fingerprinting.

ty....

Is there a website where I can track this stuff? How'd you get the info???

ty....

USCIS Online Case Status

Dave,

If you mean by tracking then USCIS has the status of cases at the different field offices. I don't see where the case status means a whole lot and frankly I don't care. As long as we all have filed the I-485 AOS and the I-765 EAD then we all have done all that we can for now. It's just another waiting game, again!...and our loved ones are legal in the interim. I think the most logical thing we can do next is to get the EAD card for our wives. At least that is how I see it. I can't get a SSN for my wife until she has that work card. The AOS thing will come whenever USCIS sees fit. It's apparent that some of the district offices around the country works different than others. All we can do now is ....wait.

ty....

USCIS Online Case Status

Dave,

If you mean by tracking then USCIS has the status of cases at the different field offices. I don't see where the case status means a whole lot and frankly I don't care. As long as we all have filed the I-485 AOS and the I-765 EAD then we all have done all that we can for now. It's just another waiting game, again!...and our loved ones are legal in the interim. I think the most logical thing we can do next is to get the EAD card for our wives. At least that is how I see it. I can't get a SSN for my wife until she has that work card. The AOS thing will come whenever USCIS sees fit. It's apparent that some of the district offices around the country works different than others. All we can do now is ....wait.

Perfect! Thanks!!! Exactly what I wanted to see!

I don't know how you do it, dude......but you've always provided great info about tracking stuff.

ty....

USCIS Online Case Status

Dave,

Perfect! Thanks!!! Exactly what I wanted to see!

I don't know how you do it, dude......but you've always provided great info about tracking stuff.

yw, Dave

I was told to file the I-485 with the D.C. office and CIS sent us to the Charleston, WV office for the I-765.

Looking at the case status, WV I-765 is at 01-27-04 and D.C. is at 11-06-03. Hhmm, I think I will go with WV. Maybe I should've mailed the I-485 to WV as well. They are ahead of D.C. afterall.

Oh, I forgot.......I said that I didn't really care!....... :D