F*** Chinatown!

Randy W

I doubt that was staged, Randy. What an a-hole this woman is. If I was a tourist on her bus, I would be really pissed, especially if I had my daughter with me. She has no right to use language like that in a public place and it is my hope that her employer sees this and mentions it any time someone calls for a reference. This woman's tirade reveals far more about her character than it does about Chinatown.

I guess that's why tour guides are required to be licensed in most places, so that they can have it pulled when they go all stupid like that.

I doubt that was staged, Randy. What an a-hole this woman is. If I was a tourist on her bus, I would be really pissed, especially if I had my daughter with me. She has no right to use language like that in a public place and it is my hope that her employer sees this and mentions it any time someone calls for a reference. This woman's tirade reveals far more about her character than it does about Chinatown.

It looks like the Shanghaiist article about it was pulled, though - http://shanghaiist.com/2014/10/24/fuck-chinatown-sf-tour-guide-rant.php

(Edit: Now seems to be there)

My guess is that it WAS staged, or over-dubbed, especially considering the applause and cheers at the end (and what looks like a bottle of beer in her hand??)

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Randy I did a google search, "Chinatown tirade" and got a lot of hits. It is not staged. Here is a quote from one of the hits that I got.

KTVU reported that Supervisor David Chiu wanted the tour company, City Sightseeing San Francisco, and the tour guide to come forward with an apology.The company's CEO Christian Watts released a statement Thursday apologizing:"I deeply apologize to the residents of Chinatown and San Francisco, for the conduct of a former employee."She continued: "Comments made by this former employee on her last day of employment are absolutely not a representation of how much we love and support Chinatown, and every other community in San Francisco. Due to this unfortunate incident, we have added additional training processes to ensure that each tour is up to our rigorous standard."

There are a lot of comments I could make about that "charming tour guide" and the company that hired the "charming" tour guide but I won't. It is sad that this type thing happens everyday on one level or the other. Danb

Activists Seeking Legal Action Against Racist Tour Guide

This of story the ranting, Chinatown-hating former City Sightseeing tour guide, and the overall public outcry against her, may have almost run its course. Late last week we got to hear her speak and give her weak defense for what she called her "comedic" portion of that tour, on her final day at work. And though she's still not been publicly identified, some activists in Oakland held a rally over the weekend to announce that they're looking into legal action, perhaps against the tour company, to prevent such future public attacks on the Chinese-American community. KRON4 was there, as you can see in the video above.

The rally may have been sparked by the revelation, via her Thursday night interview, that the woman in question is an Oakland resident. But those at the rally were equally concerned with the tourists who clapped at the tour guide's bigoted form of humor.

Oakland-based community activist Carl Chan is not satisfied with her apology, or that of the company that employed her, City Sightseeing, which issued its own apology last week. He says the rant made him sick to his stomach and, added, "I threw up yesterday."

http://sfist.com/2014/10/27/activists_seeking_legal_action_agai.php

Activists Seeking Legal Action Against Racist Tour Guide

This of story the ranting, Chinatown-hating former City Sightseeing tour guide, and the overall public outcry against her, may have almost run its course. Late last week we got to hear her speak and give her weak defense for what she called her "comedic" portion of that tour, on her final day at work. And though she's still not been publicly identified, some activists in Oakland held a rally over the weekend to announce that they're looking into legal action, perhaps against the tour company, to prevent such future public attacks on the Chinese-American community. KRON4 was there, as you can see in the video above.

The rally may have been sparked by the revelation, via her Thursday night interview, that the woman in question is an Oakland resident. But those at the rally were equally concerned with the tourists who clapped at the tour guide's bigoted form of humor.

Oakland-based community activist Carl Chan is not satisfied with her apology, or that of the company that employed her, City Sightseeing, which issued its own apology last week. He says the rant made him sick to his stomach and, added, "I threw up yesterday."

http://sfist.com/2014/10/27/activists_seeking_legal_action_agai.php

Here come the emotional Tics. They don't give a Tinker's damn about what this woman said. Its time for them to make political hay and financial gain.

Hey, it's America, lets sue everybody. I think I may make a lawsuit my owndamnself...what was the name of that tour bus company? I had trouble sleeping last night, couldn't have sex, and I have no appetite after I saw that guy saying he puked yesterday.

This is awful....I'm lookin' up lawyers in the phone book right now....let's see...."Beatum, Cheatum, and Howe"......hmmmmmm, yeah, they look like the type of firm I need.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

This article is interesting more for the history than for the point it tries to make.

The history in Houston is very different. In Houston, there are two Chinatowns - an older one that is all but non-existent and a newer one that is still very vibrant and multi(Asian)-ethnic and only came into existence in the last few decades.

Jiaying and I went to the old Chinatown once and found only an old grocery store and one still very popular Chinese-Vietnamese restaurant.

Chinese immigrants still have cultural, linguistic, and economic needs that bring them together in Chinatowns with supportive community organizations. On the other hand, I worked with more than a few Chinese who had obtained advanced degrees in the U.S. and spoke excellent English - none of whom (as far as I know) lived in Chinatown.

How Racism Created America's Chinatowns

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/2234874/thumbs/o-463993615-570.jpg

• Like 1