Good luck with the tourist visa. Keep in mind the B-1 Business and B-2 Tourist visas are for visiting only, they do not allow for work and they is no way to get a EAD (Work permit) when visiting. The B-1 and B-2 visas also do not allow for adjusting status after arrival, some do get married and file to adjust status based on marriage, however there will be an interview and they will have many questions to determine intent when using the B-Visa to enter the USA, if USCIS determines that the intent was to immigrate, they can deny the adjustment of status.

My wife's cousin is in the states on a F-1 student visa and has been attending school at SMU for several years now, this past spring she married and is in the process of adjusting status, this is much easier to show intent of F-1 was not to immigrate, she was attending school and has the transcript to prove her intent.

Keep this in mind, if you do marry while she is here on the B-2 (If you even get one), the best course of action is to file the I-130 and have spouse return home to interview for the spouse visa to then come to the states.

Doesn't the B2 visa require huge savings account? I wouldn't want to try to pull any funny business with the visas. I want to do everything the right way. It's weird there are a lot of immigrants from China and Vietnam here in my area. I wonder how they come here. Is it just family sponsored?

Doesn't the B2 visa require huge savings account? I wouldn't want to try to pull any funny business with the visas. I want to do everything the right way. It's weird there are a lot of immigrants from China and Vietnam here in my area. I wonder how they come here. Is it just family sponsored?

No, just need to convince the visa officer that they pose no immigration risk. My Mum in law has spent the past 5 months with us on a B-2 visa, she has no big savings account, she has an apartment, and other assets in China, along with my sis-in-law.

Yes many come here by being sponsored, however many more abuse the system and enter the USA on B-2 visas and fail to leave, making it just that much harder for legitimate visitors to get the visit visas.

• Like 1

Hmm my girlfriend lives in an apartment but it is provided by her employer. I don't think that will count. Her family has a house in her hometown, I wonder if that would be enough.

Like others have said, just need to paint a picture that she is not an immigration risk. My lady doesn't own property or a car or her own company or anything. At the time she was working as a graphic designer. She directly told the visa officer she wanted to go back to the US with me to visit my family and friends. We included our pictures and story and other info (almost as if it were for a relationship visa and not a travel visa) and said we're just going back for a visit, but our jobs, lives, etc., are currently here in Beijing. Like you, we too did not want to try any funny business. Low and behold, she was given her travel visa and we had a great time.

Just be honest, and hopefully everything will fall into place!

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll get going on that visitor's visa. Would it be bad if she did job interviews while she's here on a visitor's visa?

Priority should be to visit, see things meet the family.

Looking for work should come after immigrating on a spouse visa or during adjustment of status after marriage on a K-1 visa.

What would happen if an interviewer said they want to hire, and she just has a visit visa? Say to the interviewer "Sorry I am not authorized to work"? Work authorization comes with a green-card or from an EAD card applied for when applying to adjust status. So time from an interview to possibly getting authorization to work is not days, it would be many long months to a year or more.

If the priority is to come here to live, then consider marriage either by travel to China, get married and apply for CR-1 spouse visa, or if you have visited her sometime in the past 2 years, then file a petition for the K-1.

• Like 1