Proof of U.S. Citizenship of petitioner, is a US passport enough?

Copy of birth cert, front and back should be fine, copy of bio page in passport also serves this function.

Do not attach any original docs to the petition, normal photo copies are fine.

Since you are doing DCF bring the originals to the office so they can verify the photo copies.

• 2 months later...

Somewhat a similar question: My father will help me to sponsor my Chinese wife. But his passport is expired as of now. Since he is in his late 80s, it is not likely he will ever need to get a new passport for travel purposes. So, will photocopies of his expired passport satisfy the proof of citizenship required by the I-864? A decade ago, most agencies accepted expired passports. But I have noticed a trend lately where expired passports are no longer accepted. The instructions for the I-864 says "valid passport."

If that expired passport is no longer valid, then what other means are available to prove his citizenship?

Somewhat a similar question: My father will help me to sponsor my Chinese wife. But his passport is expired as of now. Since he is in his late 80s, it is not likely he will ever need to get a new passport for travel purposes. So, will photocopies of his expired passport satisfy the proof of citizenship required by the I-864? A decade ago, most agencies accepted expired passports. But I have noticed a trend lately where expired passports are no longer accepted. The instructions for the I-864 says "valid passport."

If that expired passport is no longer valid, then what other means are available to prove his citizenship?

When all else fails, read the directions. Then, if THAT doesn't work - try doing what it says..

Proof of U.S. citizen or national status includes a copy of your birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship, consular report of birth abroad to citizen parents, or a copy of the biographic data page of your U.S. passport