Confusion about birth certificates

HI all,

my fiancée just went to a city-level notarial service (Gong Zheng Chu) in Guangzhou to ask about the birth certificate. Apparently, there are 2 types of birth certificates: a certificate created by the notarial service using the applicant’s supplied information (i.e. date of birth, Hukou book, etc.); and a certificate proves that the birth certificate from the hospital where my fiancée was born is legit. The staff from “Guangzhou(city-level) Gong Zheng Chu” told my fiancee that if he were to follow word by word of this sentence “The certificate must also indicate that the public office extracted the information from official records.” in K-1 Packet 3, "a certificate proves that the birth certificate from the hospital where my fiancée was born is legit" is more proper. Although the staff from the Gong Zheng Chu said the decision of which type of birth certificate to make is up to my fiancee. My fiancée then tried to contact the US consulate via phone in Guangzhou to clarify this issue, but she was ignored and told to visit www.ustraveldocs.com. She also tried to visit the US consulate in Guangzhou and was denied by the security guards outside the consulate. I am just wondering which of these two types of birth certificates the US embassy is really looking for. Thanks.

a certificate created by the notarial service using the applicant’s supplied information (i.e. date of birth, Hukou book, etc.);

This is what my wife supplied. It makes no mention of the hospital. As a matter of fact, I am not sure my wife was even born in a hospital.

My wife got one that simply indicates parent names, her date and place of birth. I believe it also indicated parent's place and date of birth. This was simply based off of her Hukou book, and again nothing about hospital.

Also get a couple copies along with English translations typically the consulate will take one at interview, and you will need the other later in the states.

From DOS:

Birth Certificates

Available in the form of notarial certificates, which are secondary evidence. Notarial certificates of birth (Chu Sheng Gong Zheng Shu or Chu Sheng Zheng Ming Shu) for persons living in or recently departed from China are generally reliable, but are best used in conjunction with other evidence. They are most often based upon an AHHR, (Household Record) which is easily susceptible to fraud, especially in villages. Notarial birth certificates for persons long departed from China are most likely based merely upon the testimony of interested parties.

While some notarial birth certificates will list stepparents or adoptive parents along with natural parents, this is not always the case. In some cases, the certificates will list only the natural parents, covering up an adoption.

Some applicants will present notarial certificates of relationship (Guan Xi Gong Zheng [or Zheng Ming] Shu) in lieu of notarial birth certificates. These certificates of relationship are unreliable and tend to be based solely upon the testimony of interested parties. Notarial birth certificates should be required. Care should be taken with any certificate that lists step relationships. These relationships are as of the date of issuance of the certificate only. Marriage certificates should also be required.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/CH.html

Many topics on this subject: http://candleforlove.com/forums/tags/forums/Birth%2BCertificate/

He revealed on VisaJourney.com that his fiance was born in 1990. I'm not sure what year China began issuing hospital birth certificates, but it was right about that time.

So perhaps the hospital birth certificate would serve the same purpose, if it is an official Chinese birth certificate under the laws of China in effect at the time of her birth.

The rest of us old fogies have wives who can only get the notarial "white booklet" format.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

He revealed on VisaJourney.com that his fiance was born in 1990. I'm not sure what year China began issuing hospital birth certificates, but it was right about that time.

So perhaps the hospital birth certificate would serve the same purpose, if it is an official Chinese birth certificate under the laws of China in effect at the time of her birth.

The rest of us old fogies have wives who can only get the notarial "white booklet" format.

Since countless beneficiaries passed the interview with the old-fashioned “white book”, I am not going to reinvent the wheel.

Since countless beneficiaries passed the interview with the old-fashioned “white book”, I am not going to reinvent the wheel.

I understand - you won't go wrong there. But the hospital certificate is something new to China which the consulate SHOULD be aware of.