Better Study Up!

You don't want to fail your drug test! A first hand account from an Australian reporter

Random urine tests now part of Beijing hospitality

When around a dozen police turned up, both uniformed and plain clothed, this was not going to be a noise complaint matter.

I heard an officer order one of his juniors to block all exits and to not let anybody leave.

. . .

The boss was then told to instruct all:

"Foreigners show your passports". "Chinese show your ID cards".

"This is a random test by municipal police," he said. "Tell them to cooperate with us."

. . .

Everybody in the bar was then ordered to do an on-the-spot urine test.

With toilet doors open, police watched as we gave samples one by one.

. . .

After about an hour the "guilty" were taken away in police vans.

. . .

Foreigners being held have now been permitted a brief visit from a diplomat representing their embassy.

The upshot of these visits is that they will definitely be deported.

Yes, this happened a couple weekends ago at Dos Kolegas here in Beijing. I knew a couple people there that night.

The venue most likely won't be shutdown for good, but all of their shows for the rest of the month and early next month have been cancelled and moved to other venues.

A foreigner guy owns (or is part-owner, not sure) of another venue here in Beijing called Temple. A couple months ago the police did a similar type of thing at Temple, and he tested positive. He owns this venue, properties, and I think a restaurant, but now won't be allowed back into China for 10 years at the earliest - apparently.

I haven't really paid attention to this whole drama too much, because it doesn't have anything to do with me, but, it's been starting to cause some major ripples in laowai circles here for those who this could affect if they're caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. If Chinese people are caught they're most likely sent to jail for 10 days and that's that, but for laowai's it is goodbye for 10 years.........

Guilty until proven innocent...

In China, there is not protection from unreasonable search and seizure.

I think many people forget that, and believe they are still back in America, but, not the way it works.........

• Like 1

This happened to us on the train coming back from Yunnan as well. That was several years ago.

Lets see here.... China is serious about drugs. We've all heard stories of drug dealers being executed in China. Soooo, you're in China, whatcha ya gonna do? Er...ah...not do?

Too simple, do the math. I've got no sympathy for ex-pats or travelers in China who skirt or flirt with the (their) rules and laws. It ain't America, bozo!!!! It is, their country!!!

tsap seui

• Like 2

It would appear the confiscated weed ended up in Harbin, check this stoney idea.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1580226/shanghai-san-francisco-100-minutes-chinese-supersonic-submarine

That was a great article about the possibility of a supersonic submarine - or more precise - a torpedo that carries passengers. From what I read, though, there are a lot of minor "kinks" that would need to be addressed. The notion of the bubble was fascinating.

It would appear the confiscated weed ended up in Harbin, check this stoney idea.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1580226/shanghai-san-francisco-100-minutes-chinese-supersonic-submarine

That was a great article about the possibility of a supersonic submarine - or more precise - a torpedo that carries passengers. From what I read, though, there are a lot of minor "kinks" that would need to be addressed. The notion of the bubble was fascinating.

That sounds like an actual air bubble traveling under water. Don't forget that it still needs to displace that volume of water. Seems like it would require a LOT of energy to do so, even though the speeds may be theoretically possible.

• Like 1

As a practical means of transport it seems far fetched. I think it would take too much energy. As a military weapon it would be fearsome. I seriously doubt China is pursuing this for peaceful reasons.

It's doubtful that they're pursuing this as transportation at all to the point of even laboratory experiments. The article doesn't say, but it sounds like it's only a think-tank/paper research exercise at this point, primarily to keep up with other countries on the edge of technology.

The information in the article came from Harbin Institute of Technology's Complex Flow and Heat Transfer Lab and the Fluid Mechanics Laboratory at Beijing Institute of Technology.

It did say this, so it may be funded at least partially by the military.

Besides Russia, countries such as Germany, Iran and the United States have been developing vessels or weapons using supercavitation technology.

. . .

"The primary drive still comes from the military, so most research projects are shrouded in secrecy," he said.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)