How to move to China

Wife and I have been talking about all possibilities for our future. One would be that when I retire, I move to China. WHat is the process? I read where you can get an L visa and renew it many times, but then also saw where you can not work. I would be doing my art which I would sell so I would assume it would be considered work. But would want to retain my US citizenship because of Social Security, although I have other retirements accounts. Any experts in this subject weighing in would be appreciated, THANKS!!

Wife and I have been talking about all possibilities for our future. One would be that when I retire, I move to China. WHat is the process? I read where you can get an L visa and renew it many times, but then also saw where you can not work. I would be doing my art which I would sell so I would assume it would be considered work. But would want to retain my US citizenship because of Social Security, although I have other retirements accounts. Any experts in this subject weighing in would be appreciated, THANKS!!

Usually, in order to work, you would need to be sponsored for a work permit by a company. You can do your art, but someone else would need to sell it for you - but don't quote me on that. There are apparently ways to get general work permits (Serpentza has his own motorcycle shop - his videos are elsewhere on CFL), but I'm not familiar with what's involved there. You are not taxed in China on your U.S. income, although you will be taxed on your Chinese income in the U.S. (with some allowances through the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion).

You can buy visas - whether L-visas or residence permits - annually at the PSB. No border hops are needed. Simply enter the country on an L-visa, register your residence with the PSB, and drop by for a new visa before it expires. After 5 years, you will be eligible to apply for the Chinese green card, which WILL allow you to work.

You retain your Social Security whether you are a citizen or not, but attaining Chinese citizenship is unlikely to happen. Your wife will be eligible for both spousal benefits and survivors benefits on either your work record or her own (whichever provides greater benefits) as long as she has lived in the U.S. for 5 years or longer or has attained citizenship.

Usually, in order to work, you would need to be sponsored for a work permit by a company. You can do your art, but someone else would need to sell it for you - but don't quote me on that. There are apparently ways to get general work permits (Serpentza has his own motorcycle shop - his videos are elsewhere on CFL), but I'm not familiar with what's involved there. You are not taxed in China on your U.S. income, although you will be taxed on your Chinese income in the U.S. (with some allowances through the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion).

You can buy visas - whether L-visas or residence permits - annually at the PSB. No border hops are needed. Simply enter the country on an L-visa, register your residence with the PSB, and drop by for a new visa before it expires. After 5 years, you will be eligible to apply for the Chinese green card, which WILL allow you to work.

You retain your Social Security whether you are a citizen or not, but attaining Chinese citizenship is unlikely to happen. Your wife will be eligible for both spousal benefits and survivors benefits on either your work record or her own (whichever provides greater benefits) as long as she has lived in the U.S. for 5 years or longer or has attained citizenship.

I highlighted what I did as far as entering the country. After arriving in Yulin, I got a teaching job at the local university, which got me a residence permit. After I quit teaching, they switched me to L-visas (saying that residence permits were only given in conjunction with work permits), until the new visa regulations came out last year. At which point, they read them, and decided I should be getting a residence permit. You will need to go to the local (neighborhood) PSB first, with pictures of your residence there, and then go to the PSB Entry/Exit Bureau for administration of your visa. Work out any details with your wife and/or them.

The new regulations, as I understand them offload most of the administration of the visas to the local PSB. Apply for your first visa at the China consulate in the U.S. They will decide what visa to give you to allow you to enter the country. But your PSB will ultimately determine what you will need to stay there.

• 3 weeks later...

A little off topic, but is it actually possible to become a Chinese citizen?

A little off topic, but is it actually possible to become a Chinese citizen?

Sure. From the Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China

Article 7 Foreign nationals or stateless persons who are willing to abide by China's Constitution and other laws and who meet one of the following conditions may be naturalized upon approval of their applications:

(1) they are near relatives of Chinese nationals;

(2) they have settled in China; or

(3) they have other legitimate reasons.

From Wikipedia:

Naturalization is possible, but extremely rare. During the Fifth National Population Census of the People's Republic of China (2000), only 941 naturalized citizens not belonging to any of China's recognized 56 indigenous ethnic groups (which includes Koreans, Vietnamese, and Russians) were counted in China's mainland. More foreigners have applied for naturalization to Chinese nationality since Hong Kong has reverted to Chinese sovereignty in 1997. Among Hong Kong residents from 1997 to 2012, 3,411 Pakistanis, 3,399 Indonesians, 2,487 Indians, 1,115 Vietnamese, and 387 Filipinos have been naturalized.

Foreigners who naturalize in China cannot retain foreign nationality (Article 8).

Good luck with that!