All in one cable modem with wifi, Or seperate modem with a wifi route

With the switch to the new house I am thinking of buying a cable modem instead of renting one from Time Warner. I am torn between an all in one or a separate modem with a WiFi router.

Some research shows that all in ones can be slower on the WiFi side than a dedicated modem with a separate router. Any input form people that have their own modems?

I started with Comcast a year ago - knew right away I didn't want to rent, especially if it was something that was less than very good. I bought the Motorola Surfboard eXtreme (cable modem) at Costco for about $75 maybe. And, it's a white one, rather than the black "commodity" one that Comcast might have rented to me - I can't remember how they are different - something made the white one a little better.

Anyway, the installer plugged it in, and ran a firmware update and it has only had one hiccup in 12 months.

I will keep this for years but will probably upgrade the separate wifi router once or twice. On Craigslist, they're cheap enough .... I am pretty, uhhh, "thrifty", so if I recommend it, it means I've had no regrets that I bought it. I never think of a cable modem/wifi router as a good idea: I always think of one half breaking before the other. I use an Apple airport which is okay - their software is really, really dumbed down. I will probably buy an app to manage it someday.

Greg

p.s. how are you a "sophomore" member with 221 posts and I am a "junior" with only 139?

Edited by Greg.D. (see edit history)

The member titles. Whoever set them up that way either had a reason for doing that, didn't realize that a junior is usually more senior than a sophomore, or was drunk.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Misc%20Junk%20for%20posting/ScreenShot2014-04-14at94246PM_zps5ea5020e.png

The member titles. Whoever set them up that way either had a reason for doing that, didn't realize that a junior is usually more senior than a sophomore, or was drunk.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Misc%20Junk%20for%20posting/ScreenShot2014-04-14at94246PM_zps5ea5020e.png

It was Don. Feel free to change it.

It was Don. Feel free to change it.

Okay - it's a done deed, dood!

As to which one, I prefer a separate router from the cable. If an all-in-one breaks, which they will do, you replace the whole thing, rather than one or the other. And if you want to upgrade as I always have to do because I work at home sometimes, I usually just have to buy one item. But then again, I am old fashioned about computers. I like to see all the diagnostics lit up and blinking right.

Some all-in-ones are really just a cable set up together with a router anyway. And routers have been changing with double antennas and extended strength. But to each his own..........