Shanghai Tower Tops Out!

A new high! Tower gets crowning glory

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/newsimage/2014/08/04/020140804001802.jpg

SHANGHAI Tower reached its full height of 632 meters yesterday, with the final beam placed on top of its 20-story crown structure.

A crane on top of the skyscraper hoisted the final 3-meter beam — tied with a red ribbon for the occasion — from the ground and carefully lowered it into position.

. . .

It also features a state-of-the-art damping system to stabilize the 137-floor skyscraper.

The 15 billion yuan (US$2.42 billion) tower in the Lujiazui financial hub in the Pudong New Area is the world’s second-tallest building — surpassed only by Dubai’s Burj Khalifa, which soars to 829.8m.

However, it will slip to third-tallest in 2016, with the completion of the 660-meter Ping’an International Financial Center in Shenzhen, in the southern province of Guangdong.

• Like 1

Very impressive.

In 2007 I visited the Jin Mao Tower, at which point the Shanghai World Financial Center was nearing completion. A few months back my wife and I went to the SWFC's observation deck, and checked out the almost-finished Shanghai Tower. I guess I'll have to wait to visit the Shanghai Tower until the next super skyscraper is almost done.

Standing at the bottom of any of the three buildings and looking up is an incredible site…and it gave me a case of vertigo.

Edited by lhp (see edit history)