Adoption question

Hey fellas, been a long time. Miss the interaction. Miss the camaraderie.

Anyway, not going into detail of the last year or so, but I know some are interested in John.

Well, he made it through his four years and is living at home preparing to go to Penn State for his

BA in business. He's super pumped as am I (cause I get to live through him vicariously! HA!)

More sordid tales later - to the point.

Ying's niece has received an 8 year student visa and is preparing to start school soon.

Ying (mostly) and I (halfway) and John (not at all) want to adopt her.

We are her legal guardians now and her parents are in agreement with the adoption.

So, since she is already here does this make a difference in procedure?

Anybody know what that procedure is?

I am ready and willing to answer any additional questions pertaining to this topic.

But I will probably hold off on life stories for other award winning posts.

(Those who know me know my sense of humor).

Except for telling Carl that this is the life that got in the way when I made plans.

Steve

I still think you would need to be legal guardians for at least 2 years and adoption taking place before age 16 in order to use adoption as a route to citizenship.

The child was adopted by a U.S. citizen parent

• The child resides legally in the U.S. in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent and meets the following conditions after February 27, 2001 but before his or her 18th birthday: The adoptive parent adopted the child before his or her 16th birthday (or, in some cases, 18th birthday) and had legal custody of the child and resided with the child for at least two years
http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-parents

Also if trying to adjust status for a green-card, the adoption by a US Citizen will need to happen before age 18, which is required to establish step parent relationship needed for the filing of an I-130 and I-485 to adjust status.

As for legal adoption procedure, this can vary by state.

Some reading: http://www.adopt.org/adoption-laws

Thanks Dan.

I do recall the two year rule. Wenjia (Wendy) is 8 years old and will be with us through her visa for 10 years.

I will check out your links.

Wendy will be attending a private school and this is where she received the visa through.

We want to be able to send her to public school and claim her as a dependent. Both of which we can't do

under the circumstances.

Because we are her legal guardians she could attend public school, but we would lose her visa. I sure don't want

to deal with that hell again.

Research time.

Steve

Hey fellas, been a long time. Miss the interaction. Miss the camaraderie.

Anyway, not going into detail of the last year or so, but I know some are interested in John.

Well, he made it through his four years and is living at home preparing to go to Penn State for his

BA in business. He's super pumped as am I (cause I get to live through him vicariously! HA!)

More sordid tales later - to the point.

Ying's niece has received an 8 year student visa and is preparing to start school soon.

Ying (mostly) and I (halfway) and John (not at all) want to adopt her.

We are her legal guardians now and her parents are in agreement with the adoption.

So, since she is already here does this make a difference in procedure?

Anybody know what that procedure is?

I am ready and willing to answer any additional questions pertaining to this topic.

But I will probably hold off on life stories for other award winning posts.

(Those who know me know my sense of humor).

Except for telling Carl that this is the life that got in the way when I made plans.

Steve

I won't ask ya no dern questions, Mr. Natural, just happy as a weddin' night John Thomas to see ya post.

Penn State, eh? I got a boy startin' there hisowndamnself this here year. Glad to see John is doing well. Damn, 4 years went quickly. I do hope you guys are doing well.

Okay, carry on, hi-jerk of post is over with.

Rawknee...er..ah...Oat Willie

ANybody seen my purple polk ah dotted shorts layin' anywhere?

Gosh, I didn't want to seem unsociable.

I was - ahem - asked to see if I could get some answers here.

I have been pretty overwhelmed with soooo many issues - good and bad - that I haven't made the time to keep in touch.

And in all honesty I miss some of you guys a lot.

Anyway, I'll post when I can.

Steve