Travel visa allowed after applying for IR1?

Hi everyone,

So I'm about to leave for the USA in one month to look for a job while my wife and kids stay in China. I sent in the documents to the USCIS at the end of November in 2013. The documents were sent to NVC in June 2014. This entire time, I haven't received anything in the mail. I got this info via email and a phone call to the NVC. Was it the way I filled it out on the application? Was it stolen (suggested by my colleague as both of our mailboxes open without keys - she has had things stolen in the past).

Going back to separation and the travel visa visit:

It will take at least a few months to find a job once I arrive in Houston. Once I find a job, it will still take a while for this visa process to play out.

While my wife is waiting for the immigration visa, can she apply for a travel visa to come and visit me? I have heard no, she cannot, from many people, including the Consulate office in Guangzhou. It will be very difficult being separated for a year or two. Also, how long will I have to work to prove I have sufficient income for the Affidavit of Support? Looks like I need to be preparing myself for a long time of separation, right? Let's hope not...

Thanks,

Lee (Texan in Jiangsu)

We have a link to the Visa Journey timelines at http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/45641-links-for-visa-information/?p=610915 - the fastest are those that filed DCF, Direct Consular Filing at either the USCIS office in Beijing or in Guangzhou, instead of filing through the USCIS in the United States.

She can of course apply for a visa to visit you in the states, but it will almost certainly be denied. The catch is that she would need to prove that she has ties to China which will ensure her return. Filing for the IR1 visa proves the opposite intent - that she intends to immigrate to the US.

A good job and a good income is what is required. You can provide evidence of this by providing the paycheck stubs or a letter from the HR department of your company, stating your position and income. Past income can help, but your present level of income is most pertinent. As to what is enough - you won't find out until after the fact. If you are concerned about your level of income, or that you haven't earned enough in the past three years, you may need a co-sponsor. They have been known to insist on one for people returning from extended stays in China - don't make the mistake of assuming that 125% of the poverty level is "Enough" income.

Hi everyone,

So I'm about to leave for the USA in one month to look for a job while my wife and kids stay in China. I sent in the documents to the USCIS at the end of November in 2013. The documents were sent to NVC in June 2014. This entire time, I haven't received anything in the mail. I got this info via email and a phone call to the NVC. Was it the way I filled it out on the application? Was it stolen (suggested by my colleague as both of our mailboxes open without keys - she has had things stolen in the past).

Going back to separation and the travel visa visit:

It will take at least a few months to find a job once I arrive in Houston. Once I find a job, it will still take a while for this visa process to play out.

While my wife is waiting for the immigration visa, can she apply for a travel visa to come and visit me? I have heard no, she cannot, from many people, including the Consulate office in Guangzhou. It will be very difficult being separated for a year or two. Also, how long will I have to work to prove I have sufficient income for the Affidavit of Support? Looks like I need to be preparing myself for a long time of separation, right? Let's hope not...

Thanks,

Lee (Texan in Jiangsu)

With your application already at the NVC you should only have a matter of a very few months, if even that long, before your wife's interview date is set. Unless you guys have a problem at the NVC (not very likely) it's not like you are looking at enough time for her to even visit you, much less a year or two separation before the interview. Again, with the application at the NVC a month ago, you need to get that I-864 material ready... like today.

Good luck with the interview.

tsap seui

• Like 1