No SSN after 40 days

I entered the POE through Toronto US customs on April 22. I filed SSN along with green card. When I didn't receive SSN after three weeks I entered US, I went to local office for an application on May 9.Until now nothing has happened. I don't know what to do. I told them to call SAVE system but they refused to call at my presence.They said they called afterwards and told me to wait longer.
I don't trust our local SSA office coz when I called SAVE, they insisted local SSA call them. It seemed like a little mistake happened but SAVE couldn't give out info to individual.

what should I do now?

What type of visa? K-1, CR-1 or IR-1?

In some rare cases some SSA officers hold up giving a SSN out to a K-1 fiancee visa holder if they married before applying for the SSN the reasoning is the K-1 needs SSN to apply for marriage license in some states, and if already married the need for SSN wont be required until having another reason to apply for it, the other reason is authorized to work (Holding an EAD card or Green-Card). If this happens usually visiting a different SSA office solves this.

If CR-1 or IR-1, bring visa and point out the I-551 notation on it, the I-551 notation is same as a green-card and is work authorization.

Typically SAVE is updated within 2 weeks after arrival.

Sorry I forgot to add I am IR1 visa.

Thank you for your reply .I am aware I can work but when I fill out forms for jobs, they always ask SSN and it will just be easier if I have ssn so I don't have to explain to them given some companies don't have much experience dealing with immigrants.

Thank you for your reply .I am aware I can work but when I fill out forms for jobs, they always ask SSN and it will just be easier if I have ssn so I don't have to explain to them given some companies don't have much experience dealing with immigrants.

Oh you do need SSN in order to take a job, this is the reason the SSA office needs to issue you one.

I would visit another office.

• Like 1

Yeah, like Carl says, not everyone at the SS office understands immigration issues. We were IR-1 (not that it matters) but they gave us a woman who DID understand immigration matters. We got the SS cards about two weeks after POE. It takes them a week or so to get the info from your POE entered into the computer. Then you need someone who knows what they are doing. Not many people, of the hundreds who go into a SS office each day have immigration issues, so not many officers in the SS office are versed on what to look for...they haven't been on Candle to see what they should know. LOL.

Like the guys said, go to another office and ask for someone who understands immigration issues. Your info is in the computer. You can get your card lickety split.

Good luck

tsap seui

Oh you do need SSN in order to take a job, this is the reason the SSA office needs to issue you one.

I would visit another office.

They said they had to send my stuff to DHS to verify. is it neccesary ?it has been showing"pending"

Yeah, like Carl says, not everyone at the SS office understands immigration issues. We were IR-1 (not that it matters) but they gave us a woman who DID understand immigration matters. We got the SS cards about two weeks after POE. It takes them a week or so to get the info from your POE entered into the computer. Then you need someone who knows what they are doing. Not many people, of the hundreds who go into a SS office each day have immigration issues, so not many officers in the SS office are versed on what to look for...they haven't been on Candle to see what they should know. LOL.

Like the guys said, go to another office and ask for someone who understands immigration issues. Your info is in the computer. You can get your card lickety split.

Good luck

tsap seui

Thank you.I will try to visit another local office. Is it necessary that they sent my documents to DHS to verify? I have shown them my 155 stamp and visa.

It probably is the DHS, or maybe it was the USCIS computer that the SS lady had to access. She was the only one in our local office that knew what to do.

Like I said, we are are rare, and our questions and issues are rare to the average SSA worker. Maybe if you live in a large city that works cases like ours more often you would have gotten your card quicker. I'm telling you our story from where we live in a more rural area that doesn't deal with immigration issues very often. We had another SS issue with my having SSDI and my wife and son being eligible for half of my total amount. We made an appointment with the local SSA office and the nice guy that we met with admitted that he had come in early to work just so he could study up on the legal permanent resident issues for our appointment.

Once you find someone who is trained in our type of immigration issues you'll get your card quickly.

Good luck

tsap seui

• 2 weeks later...

update: I received SSN on June 7 and green card on June 13.

tips: Call "SAVE" system, do not call SSA hotline. I had known a long time ago that there was a problem with my case but for confidential reasons "SAVE" could not tell me the exact reasons. After dealing with local office with no result after a month of POE, one lady from "SAVE" finally told me I had" multiple cases". Because I could not physcially go to our local office again, I kept calling them and leaving messages and finally they solved the case.

Although people with "SAVE" may have different answers, they always try to help you. I suggest call SAVE many times until you get someone who can check your case by Alien number.

update: I received SSN on June 7 and green card on June 13.

tips: Call "SAVE" system, do not call SSA hotline. I had known a long time ago that there was a problem with my case but for confidential reasons "SAVE" could not tell me the exact reasons. After dealing with local office with no result after a month of POE, one lady from "SAVE" finally told me I had" multiple cases". Because I could not physcially go to our local office again, I kept calling them and leaving messages and finally they solved the case.

Although people with "SAVE" may have different answers, they always try to help you. I suggest call SAVE many times until you get someone who can check your case by Alien number.

Excellent detective work on your part and THANKS for reporting back - it helps others.

• Like 1