Who is stepping it up a notch?

I saw this report on MSN today.

http://news.msn.com/world/china-fighters-within-meters-of-japan-military-planes-minister

It has a picture of a Chinese fighter jet. I wonder sometimes what the real game plan? Are these incidents just "business as usually?" Or is Japan, China or the news media stepping things up a notch. What is their "end game plan? I really can't understand why this whole game isn't played out in the world court. Would/could a settlement be fair? I wonder who would lose that battle. Hope that we all start moving in a peaceful way of resolving this whole matter. Danb

The endgame plan is.....oil, the elixir of life as we now know it. It ain't gonna end purdy. Those rocks have been in dispute for many centuries. Whose paperwork is the court gonna trust, the ones from the year 1123 or the ones from 898?

I just wish Uncle Sam will keep his long pointed nose out of it. It's THEIR game, not ours. Let them figure it out however THEY want to. We want world peace, well, stay out of everybody's business....for a change.

tsap seui

• Like 2
Japan Raises Alarm on Chinese Flybys in Overlapping Air Zones

In an ominous display of growing territorial tensions between China and Japan, the Japanese Defense Ministry said Sunday that Chinese jet fighters had flown dangerously close to two of its reconnaissance planes in overlapping air defense zones claimed by both nations.

The ministry described two separate incidents that took place on Saturday in airspace over the East China Sea that both countries claim as so-called air defense identification zones, areas bordering their sovereign airspace in which they require foreign aircraft to identify themselves and provide flight plans.

Japan has routinely ignored the Chinese air defense zone since Beijing declared it late last year. China had also not pushed its new air zone, apparently backing off after the United States immediately challenged the Chinese claim by sending a pair of unarmed B-52 heavy bombers to fly through the airspace without incident.

The Chinese stance toward at least Japanese military flights appeared to change on Saturday

As the article pointed out it's not just Japan China is acting aggressively towards. They've laid claim to almost the entire south China sea and have started incidents with Vietnam and the Philippines. It's reckless and dangerous. If China believes the US will stand idly by while they start a war with Japan they are seriously mistaken. It could rapidly escalate into nuclear war leaving millions dead.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be easy to try and stay out of this but we were the actual cause of it when Douglas MacArthur, the Supreme Allied Leader in the post-WWII era in Asia, conveniently left out Taiwan and China in the final negotiations of those disputed islands. And the US has always maintained a right and acts to make sure that right exists to open access to the seas. That's why the B-52 flyover aside from a show of force.

We signed with the Philippines for the re-opening of 5 bases and Vietnam and Indonesia just signed an economic pact.So we are in whether we like it or not.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

I'll play peacemaker here: in cases where several countries' nautical borders overlap due to their C-shaped nature and short spans across a sea, the affected countries should be obligated to submit to a resource sharing plan with respect to atolls and small islands in the area overlaps.

Okay, so they'll never agree, but it is indeed "peacemaking" if they can talk about it for 50 years - like, for example, the Palestinian peace process.

Greg

I'll play peacemaker here: in cases where several countries' nautical borders overlap due to their C-shaped nature and short spans across a sea, the affected countries should be obligated to submit to a resource sharing plan with respect to atolls and small islands in the area overlaps.

Okay, so they'll never agree, but it is indeed "peacemaking" if they can talk about it for 50 years - like, for example, the Palestinian peace process.

Greg

I believe this is exactly what China is banking on, but completely on THEIR terms.

Knowing the varied ownership history, this is to be expected. However, what surprises me most is China's aggressive stance. Mao never sought to expand China beyond the map of China that he grew up with as a boy...or so the story goes. Now it seems that any soil touched by Zheng He, China is making claims to...next it will be America.

What has changed?

Is it just the need for oil?