Church Wedding

danb

Hello, I have a question. I know a married Chinese couple who live in China. They would like to come to the US and have a Church Wedding. I guess they just want to have the experience. They are not looking to gain anything out of it. Such as a green card or a permanent residency or to move here. Before I reply to them I want to get some more info. As far a Church wedding I would think that would take time. They would have to be in the US for a certain amount of time. They probably have to go to some type of religion classes. They also probably have to be member of the church. I don't know if there are any other considerations. What do you all think? Can they experience a Church wedding without even being of a member of a Christian religion? I am going to talk to them this weekend and try to figure out what they can realistically experience here in the USA. The husband has limited vacation time. Perhaps 10-14 days a year. Thanks for your input. Danb

There are a few options.

Typically the term would be reaffirming or renewing wedding vows since there would not be a marriage license involved.

http://www.gracelandchapel.com/renew-wedding-vows/

Hello, I have a question. I know a married Chinese couple who live in China. They would like to come to the US and have a Church Wedding. I guess they just want to have the experience. They are not looking to gain anything out of it. Such as a green card or a permanent residency or to move here. Before I reply to them I want to get some more info. As far a Church wedding I would think that would take time. They would have to be in the US for a certain amount of time. They probably have to go to some type of religion classes. They also probably have to be member of the church. I don't know if there are any other considerations. What do you all think? Can they experience a Church wedding without even being of a member of a Christian religion? I am going to talk to them this weekend and try to figure out what they can realistically experience here in the USA. The husband has limited vacation time. Perhaps 10-14 days a year. Thanks for your input. Danb

Yes - some religions have less in the way of requirements than others. Catholics (at least in my day) had the restrictions you were talking about. Others did not. A Methodist "wedding" may be the way to go.

But then, if they're only looking for the "experience" of a wedding, they may need to go to a more commercial set-up, per some of Dan's suggestions.

Back in the day, there were plenty of hippy ministers who would marry you on the spot, in return for some nominal payment, like a rind of Longhorn cheese. It all depends on what they (your friends) want to do. They (or you) need to talk to the particular minister to find out what the possibilities are for a reaffirmation.

Legally, getting married simply involves acquiring a marriage license and waiting a day or two (at least in Texas). From there, it's simply a matter of finding a minister who will give you the kind of wedding you want

ChunMei and I were married in a Presbyterian church in Littleton, Colorado with no problems whatsoever. I contacted them about three weeks in advance, the checked their schedule, and we were married by an associate pastor at 2:30 PM on a Saturday afternoon, with about 20 people in attendance.

Quick, easy, and inexpensive.

Curious why it should be a church wedding in the USA. The Philippines is a Christian country, no?

If they themselves are not Christian, there might be some resistance from a clergyman here to be part of their plan - so it might take some work to find a church to cooperate.

Greg

Greg, good question but I am not sure why. The last time that I was in China they did say that they really want to visit the states. I plan to get more details this weekend as far their why's and wants. As suggested by others I first thought about Vegas but didn't know any details. I am not sure how much trouble and expense it will to have a Church wedding in the USA. Afterwards I was thinking maybe Macau or perhaps Hong Kong. The Philippines could be an option also. In Asia they would have a much better chance of friends and family attending. In the USA I would probably be the only one who would attend. At this point I am not sure of much. Thanks everyone for your input. Chapels and renewal of vows were not term that I had not thought of yet. Personally speaking I wonder where my dream place to get married (renewal of vows) would be. If I had a lot of money Vegas would be fun. Perhaps for the wrong reasons. Maybe Europe. France, Italy or Spain. But since I don't have a lot of extra money I will just have to dream about it. Actually for them I think Hawaii would be a nice place. I wonder if that would be very expensive, A Hawaiian Church wedding would be memorable for many reasons. Don't many Americans go to Hawaii to renew their vows? Thanks again . Danb

Greg, good question but I am not sure why. The last time that I was in China they did say that they really want to visit the states. I plan to get more details this weekend as far their why's and wants. As suggested by others I first thought about Vegas but didn't know any details. I am not sure how much trouble and expense it will to have a Church wedding in the USA. Afterwards I was thinking maybe Macau or perhaps Hong Kong. The Philippines could be an option also. In Asia they would have a much better chance of friends and family attending. In the USA I would probably be the only one who would attend. At this point I am not sure of much. Thanks everyone for your input. Chapels and renewal of vows were not term that I had not thought of yet. Personally speaking I wonder where my dream place to get married (renewal of vows) would be. If I had a lot of money Vegas would be fun. Perhaps for the wrong reasons. Maybe Europe. France, Italy or Spain. But since I don't have a lot of extra money I will just have to dream about it. Actually for them I think Hawaii would be a nice place. I wonder if that would be very expensive, A Hawaiian Church wedding would be memorable for many reasons. Don't many Americans go to Hawaii to renew their vows? Thanks again . Danb

Guam or Saipan would be much closer, if they really want it to be on U.S. territory. I know Guam gets a lot of wedding traffic from Japan, and has the chapels and tourism industry for that.

Anyway, it's all up to them, their budget, and whatever preacher they can find. There are no legal restrictions whatsoever on renewing vows.

Dan, Vegas can be as expensive, or inexpensive, as you want it to be. I've been there 10 or more times teaching classes or working in conventions in the industry I used to be a member of up into 2003. There are so many deals and specials you can find to stay in Vegas that Vegas doesn't have to be an expensive place to go to and stay in a hotel in. And I'm not talking about dumps for hotels.

I never gambled one dime in Vegas in all of those times there...LOL, but the world class shows that are available to a tourist, just walking down the main strip at night going into the lobbies of the many hotels is an experience in itself. Heck, they can even renew their vows in a chapel complete with an Elvis impersonator. ANything and everything goes on, and can go on, in Vegas. And trust me, you don't have to break the darn bank to have a great time there. OH, you CAN spend a fortune, but you don't have to. Plus, Vegas is much more than lights, water displays, large hotels, etc.... you can sit at the rotating top of a hotel and enjoy a meal, watching the sun go down from your top of teh world perch, there are many trips you can take by car out into the desert, world class shows of anything you can imagine, tour the large dam (you can tour the electric plant or take a lake tour by boat), etc...and you can catch a flight out to the Grand Canyon to take a helicopter or even a donkey tour of the canyon. Vegas is a fascinating place...as expensive as you choose it to be. It can be Lost Wages, or it can be a great time in and around Las Vegas.

tsap seui

Just sitting here writing this I discovered that June is the final month of our working on our investment properties and Fengqi finishing his high school. We've all worked hard and all need some play time. Looks like Las Vegas is where we'll most likely start our playtime and vacation together. We've worked hard, its time to play harder.

I got married to the 2nd wife in Vegas at one of those little chapels, I think the same one Elvis used or something. They have recorded music, and they record the whole thing on video, that does not cost too much more. They have flowers, and it is a real minister that comes in to do it. He had a lot of words for us. I cost but not real expensive. When checking in to Caesar's I said we were getting married and they reduced the price and put us in one of those honeymoon suits. So, if Vegas still does it, it is kind of cool, but I don't really consider it a religious experience in Vegas.

There are quite a few Chinese Christian churches in the USA now. If they don't know English very well, maybe that is the way to go.

There are also a number of Christian churches in China now. I know several Chinese who feel they are not really married so well with this govt registration thing. Many single women over there want a church wedding.

Edited by Doug (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, Chinese women fancy western weddings, can be nothing to do with religion.

Maybe western guys enjoy traditional Chinese wedding too?!

http://pic.enorth.com.cn/0/03/87/41/3874164_592597.jpg

• Like 2