Cell phone purchased in China to be used in the USA

When I was in China, I saw some nice-looking cell phone (such as Lenovo) selling for 1000 RMB with built-in Wifi. I am wondering if bring the Chinese cell phone back to the States and put in a T-mobile or Verizon SIM card, can I use it here in the States?

I can also do the opposite: buy a cell phone in the United States, and put in a Chinese SIM card when I arrive at China. But many cell phones sold in the States (under $150) do not have Chinese language display, unless I buy an expensive cell phone here such as iphone 5s.

I am back and forth between US and China, would like to stay with one cell phone if possible. Anyone with experience or knowledge? Thanks

We brought a 3g phone to USA from China, it worked for a while, but then AT&T decided to quit using the 850Mhz (I think) wavelength and the phone wouldn't work.

The 3g sim chips work in all the phones, but I'd check what wavelengthls the phone can use, and make sure that the US vendor uses one of those.

Since US phones work in China, I have to think it will be fine, but it was an issue on a phone we brought back (7 years ago).

When I was in China, I saw some nice-looking cell phone (such as Lenovo) selling for 1000 RMB with built-in Wifi. I am wondering if bring the Chinese cell phone back to the States and put in a T-mobile or Verizon SIM card, can I use it here in the States?

I can also do the opposite: buy a cell phone in the United States, and put in a Chinese SIM card when I arrive at China. But many cell phones sold in the States (under $150) do not have Chinese language display, unless I buy an expensive cell phone here such as iphone 5s.

I am back and forth between US and China, would like to stay with one cell phone if possible. Anyone with experience or knowledge? Thanks

Chinese character display is not needed on phones in China, unless you yourself have a need for it (e.g., to display Chinese web pages or Chinese emails or names). Most phones sold here will allow you to select either English or Chinese. For my old Blackberry I bought in the US, I was able to install an O/S from a German carrier that allowed that.

Samsung is probably the most popular international cell phone here. Some will allow dual SIMs (you can keep and use both of them inside the phone), while some other brands have both GSM and CDMA capability. The CDMA phones require a SIM, though, which I'm not sure that will work with a US carrier (maybe Verizon).

Look for the quad band capability to make sure you can use it with any GSM carrier.

I have a Nokia cell phone that I got from T-Mobile several years ago. When I brought it to China, I put in a Chinese SIM card, then I could make calls within China. But when someone sent me a text message in Chinese, I cannot view it. Also, I am worried that some Chinese websites may not display properly. I need the Chinese character display, because that's how I can get a taxi ride in China easily.

The cell phone that I have is too old that I need a new one. The iphone 5s will probably display both Chinese and English, but it is bit expensive. I am wondering if I can spend something like $300 or less (or equivalent RMB) and get a new cell phone that works in both US and China. Should I buy it in China or USA? I do not know how to download a new Chinese language operating system onto a cell phone. Is that easy to do?

Thanks

I have a Nokia cell phone that I got from T-Mobile several years ago. When I brought it to China, I put in a Chinese SIM card, then I could make calls within China. But when someone sent me a text message in Chinese, I cannot view it. Also, I am worried that some Chinese websites may not display properly. I need the Chinese character display, because that's how I can get a taxi ride in China easily.

The cell phone that I have is too old that I need a new one. The iphone 5s will probably display both Chinese and English, but it is bit expensive. I am wondering if I can spend something like $300 or less (or equivalent RMB) and get a new cell phone that works in both US and China. Should I buy it in China or USA? I do not know how to download a new Chinese language operating system onto a cell phone. Is that easy to do?

Thanks

For $100 to $300, you can buy a cell phone in China that will do what you want, with no modification needed. Simply change the display language to English. Just be sure it's a quad-band GSM. I haven't heard a thing about compatabilities of the CDMA phones.

Yes, it was easy to install the O/S, but I forget what the procedure was

And .... should you bring a phone from US to China: be sure to unlock it here. I think we are the only country in the world that locks phones - it is easier to unlock an older phone than a new subsidized phone ... check on that. Phones that are purchased new for the retail price should already be unlocked ... older phones for which the contract is expired can legally be unlocked - sort of - but that is the short of it.

Greg

And .... should you bring a phone from US to China: be sure to unlock it here. I think we are the only country in the world that locks phones - it is easier to unlock an older phone than a new subsidized phone ... check on that. Phones that are purchased new for the retail price should already be unlocked ... older phones for which the contract is expired can legally be unlocked - sort of - but that is the short of it.

Greg

You can also PURCHASE unlocking codes - and the instructions for how to enter them - from online web sites. Google "unlock <__your phone brand and model__>"

Staples has been selling unlocked dual sim no name brand cell phone this past week. They seem like they may work but I would make sure the specs are good. There are other sites that sell similar price phone and /or higher price phones. Some of those online stores are tiger direct, newegg, wal-mart and other less known stores. Of course you never know you will get at those prices. On Thursday I was going to buy a Blu aria T1174 for 14.99. Dual sim, GSM unlock quad phone. For that price I was thinking I would buy one and see how it worked out. I hesitated and they were sold out before Saturday afternoon. I guess I snoozed and therefore lost. In the 70--99 dollars range there are name brands but not popular model numbers. Danb

. . . AND one more possibility is a dual SIM GSM/CDMA phone. My wife has one (a Coolpad, Chinese make). But check whether it's 3 or 4 band GSM before buying, and whether the CDMA would be compatible with your carrier back home (if you intend to use it that way - my wife uses a CDMA SIM here in China).

ChunMei got an LG from T-Mobile, I had it unlocked (I'd just paid cash for the phone) and she's currently using it in China with a China Telcomm SIM card. The LG does have a Chinese language display option, and it was cheaper than a Samsung or an iPhone.

Thanks

For $100 to $300, you can buy a cell phone in China that will do what you want, with no modification needed. Simply change the display language to English. Just be sure it's a quad-band GSM. I haven't heard a thing about compatabilities of the CDMA phones.

There are so many cell phone retailers in China. I saw China Mobile stores everywhere. If I want to make sure that I get a genuine new cell phone (not a refurbished one), should I check out China Mobile? Which cell phone is a good brand/model in China market? Thanks

ChunMei got an LG from T-Mobile, I had it unlocked (I'd just paid cash for the phone) and she's currently using it in China with a China Telcomm SIM card. The LG does have a Chinese language display option, and it was cheaper than a Samsung or an iPhone.

Nick:

Do you know what kind of LG cell phone (model) that you wife got from T-Mobile? Is it a GSM phone? Thanks

Thanks

There are so many cell phone retailers in China. I saw China Mobile stores everywhere. If I want to make sure that I get a genuine new cell phone (not a refurbished one), should I check out China Mobile? Which cell phone is a good brand/model in China market? Thanks

Samsung is still good. We've had two Chinese phones fail after a couple of years (Huawei and Gionee) - the foreign makes are more expensive (and Chinese quality may be catching up) but I still recommend the foreign makes. Samsung has their own Samsung stores. Can't say that I've paid much attention to it lately, though.