Whats Your State Famous For?

NY, Known for:

• Touches 2 great lakes and the Atlantic.
  • Birth place of consumer photography (Kodak)
  • Some great Wine growing regions.
  • Apples
  • Niagara Falls
  • Ground Zero
  • NY City
  • Winter Olympics

It is kind of hard for me to say what my home state is - I was born in Alabama, grew up in Florida, came back to Alabama for undergraduate studies, back to Florida for grad school, then lived 15 years in Miami. I now live in Tennessee, technically, but am about an eight iron from Alabama. If you consider Alabama as my home, then famous for football, racism, rednecks, tornadoes, Marshall Space Flight Center (Huntsville), Alabama Space and Rocket Center, and Helen Keller, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Bear Bryant - not to mention some great rock and rollers and the recording studios at Muscle Shoals. Now, if you consider Florida as my home state, it is famous for fabulous beaches, great seafood, beautiful women, sunshine, hurricanes, baseball spring training, Jimmy Buffett, Lynyrd Skynyrd (sang about Alabama but from Jacksonville), Blackfoot (also from Jacksonville), Tom Petty (Gainesville) and many, many more great rockers. Although I have lived in Tennessee eleven years now, I can't really call it home. It has plenty goin' for it though - Nashville, Memphis, Graceland, the Grand Ole Opry, the Smokey Mountains, Johnny Cash, home of Jack Daniels, and on and on.

High Taxes

Absolutely! A big motivator for me to move somewhere else. Just waiting for my 10 years vesting into the state retirement system, and then TEXAS!

I could live in PA and work in NY.

Might have to look into that when we go house hunting in a few weeks. I look forward to Blue skies and fresh air, eating a salad without worrying about the possible after effects.

Just be aware, NY catches that too, you will be required to pay state income tax.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_my_state_taxes_if_I_live_in_PA_but_work_in_NY?#slide=1

Rat cheer in Bedford, Pennsyltucky. Once, mebbe back in 2007 I made a video of downtown Bedford ( I can't seem to find and uptown) to send to Wenyan while she was in Chinatucky for 47 years waiting on me to get the immigration paperwork together for her. I took my fancy lil' camera outside and walked down the street talking about how crowded the place was....all of the cars, all of the many people running around. It was 6:00am in the mornin', I was the only person around, and maybe there were two cars somebody left overnight along the curb. The stoplight kept changin' colors though.

As far as I can tell, the biggest thing Bedford is famous for is peace and quiet, and oh yeah, here in the rural mountains....every where you drive is a beautiful drive....sorta like living 'in" or on, Skyline Drive down yonder in Virginia. City slickers line up for miles to drive down that road in the fall. We've got it all just across from our front yard, and out the backyard. Maybe the place is famous for deer too They come down off the mountain range across the road at night to eat grass in people's yards. A big un knocked down part of Tom Hillegas's pretty white plastic fence last winter, looked like he musta been in a hurry to git somewhere. Yawn, I'm gonna take my flash light and go watch the grass grow a little bit...it is shore nuff excitin' around these here parts.

I wuz borned and growed up in Charlotte, NC and Greensboro, NC until I wuz 14. Then my paw moved us up to Damascus, Merryland, just outside Warshington, DC where I lived for the next 40 years (called NC home for the first 30 years of that, until I realized I had lived in Merryland over twice as long as I had even been alive in NC. Lived for a coupla years in HArpers Ferry, WV once I came home from that thar Vietnam. I don't know what any of those places is famous fer. Never did me much in the way of book studyin', or larnin' fer that matter.

Shore is quiet outside right now, all the birds is ah sleepin' and the deer is purty quiet as they walk around outside. Them birds do make a fuss in the mornin's I'll tell ya. I never did hear so many woodpeckers as we have around her eright now. Some of them sound like they is 25 pound birds packin' jack hammers fer peckers and the small ones keep up a constant peckin' sound what with four or five of them peckin' away at the same time. It ain't no Chinartucky I tell ya, but it does get loud outside about 5:30am. Sometimes a car passes by too. And when it rains real hard, one of the many streams coming down from the mountain range across the road can get pretty loud too. Mebbe it ain't as quiet as I thought it wuz.

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)