tax time (ITIN question)

Thanks again for the suggestion. I have made the appointment. Just to confirm, I made the appointment in my name (we will go together). I selected "Request notarial and other services not listed above" as the appointment type. Seem ok?

Which consulate are you going to?

As has been said before, several of the American consulates in China perform this service. These procedures were only finalized as of this year (2013), but the consulates had already provided the service.

From the Instructions for the W-7:

NOTE: As of July, 2012, notarized copies may not be used - Instructions for Form W-7 (dated Jan., 2013)

'IRS' said

You can submit copies of original documents if you do any of the following:

• Have the copies certified by the issuing agency.
  • Have the officers at U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas provide certification and authentication services. Contact the Consular Section, American Citizens Services of the U.S. embassy or consulate in advance to determine the hours of operation for these services.

You might contact them ahead of time to make sure they will perform this service (not all of them do) - but I think you're okay there, since you got the appointment. Be sure to bring the W-7, like Nuworld said.

Thanks again for the suggestion. I have made the appointment. Just to confirm, I made the appointment in my name (we will go together). I selected "Request notarial and other services not listed above" as the appointment type. Seem ok?

Yes, you selected the correct link

Though!

You might have a problems with this (Appointment in you name) Your girl is the one that needs to apply for the W7

not you.

If your name is on the appointment letter you girl will not be able to enter the consulate.

Only the name on the appointment letter will be let in.

When i did this for my sister inlaw i had HER name on the appointment letter.

Like randy said you could try and call first but if it were me.

I would cancel that appointment (Use the password they gave you to cancel an appointment) and get a new appointment

with HER! name on the appontment letter.

That way she will be able to go inside the consulate.

As soon as the officer at the window sees the conpleated W7 form he will know what to do.

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

When we did this the appointment was in my name and we were both let in after explaining it at the Embassy gate, so it may not be a problem. They know that she needs to be present with the passport.

Yes, I agree. When I went to Guangzhou to get new pages in my own passport, my wife was allowed inside, even though she was not needed.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Maybe things have changed.

But two months ago in Chengdu when i set up the appointment for my sister inlaw.

Her son was with her and they where told ONLY the name on the appointment letter was to enter.

Her son had to stay outside.

This was TWO month ago.

IMO: The way things change on a daily basis i would not take the chance.

Chengdu has been pushing the rules by the book lately.

Even last year when i was there helping Bob (My sister inlaw husband) get his single certificate.

We made the appointment and I WAS TOLD i could not enter for my name was not on the appointment letter.

I too had to wait outside the consulate.

There's even a story here of children whose visas were DENIED because their parents were denied access by the Chinese guards.The parents were able to get that reversed the same day when they were allowed access, as they should have been in the first place.

The Chinese guards are there for traffic control, and have no business making decisions about who can or can't get in, but that's part of the job.

Yes, it may be most expedient to make the appointment in her name, but you should be able to go in to assist. Ask to speak to a supervisor if not, unless you think she can handle it by herself.

When we did this the appointment was in my name and we were both let in after explaining it at the Embassy gate, so it may not be a problem. They know that she needs to be present with the passport.

Yes, I agree. When I went to Guangzhou to get new pages in my own passport, my wife was allowed inside, even though she was not needed.

W-7 and passport pages are two different things.

Lets look at it this way.

eikogs: has appointment in his name.

Goes to the windows with some Chinese woman's passport and she is not present who is to say this is not tax fraud.

Now on the other hand, If he had there marriage certificate and both his and her passport.

Then maybe and it's a big maybe! they might go for it.

All i know it that Chengdu gave my sister inlaw a hard time for not having the correct paper work.

We had to make two different appointments to get the W-7 paper work.

Had the same problems when Bob and i tried to enter together.

There's even a story here of children whose visas were DENIED because their parents were denied access by the Chinese guards.The parents were able to get that reversed the same day when they were allowed access, as they should have been in the first place.

The Chinese guards are there for traffic control, and have no business making decisions about who can or can't get in, but that's part of the job.

Yes, it may be most expedient to make the appointment in her name, but you should be able to go in to assist. Ask to speak to a supervisor if not, unless you think she can handle it by herself.

Yes, I agree with you Randy.

The guards look at the appointment letter and if your name is not on it, they tell you to go away. make new appointment.

This also happened when i tried to enter with Bob for his single certificate.

I was told to go away and wait outside.

IMO: if it was me, I would just play it safe and get the appointment in her name.

The person at the window will know what needs to be done as soon as they see the completed W-7 form.

My sister inlaw never had to say a thing.

She walked up to the window when her name was called handed the man.

Completed W-7.

Her passport.

There marriage certificate.

The rest was history.

20 minutes later she was handed a booklet with ALL documents that is needed to get an ITIN number.

If all goes well the cover page she will receive will look like this plus all supporting documents attached as one.

This will be the packet you sent in with your taxes.

You can not Efile and MUST mail your taxes for an ITIN number (Make copy's for your records) The IRS NEEDS the originals from the consulate.

gallery_2511_535_203390.jpg