tax time (ITIN question)

well the tax deadline is soon approaching and i have a question for my friend Bob.

We all know what happened to Bob and that is in the past now.

(Through he is sober now and doing well)

I'm doing my taxes today as well as Bob taxes this year.

Though Hong and i taxes are straight forward.

On the other hand, Bob and Jens taxes are a bit more complicated and i forget how to go about the first time

filing taxes just after be married.

We have all the correct documents now from Chengdu consulate for there ITIN (W-7)

I know there tax paper work must be MAILED not efiled for federal and our great government will applies the the correct ITIN number

to there taxes.

My question is?

What about state taxes?

What should we/they input on state tax form for ss#/ITIN#

I've never filed a state return myself, so I'm not familiar with it at all. Of course, requirements differ from state-to-state, but your/his state should tell you what to do for the SS # field. Perhaps simply putting "Applied For" would suffice.

I found this same question posted on the Intuit Turbo Tax forum, but the poor guy just got answers concerning the federal return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1182630-how-do-i-apply-for-itin-and-request-state-extensions

What you might do is look into the IRS' Acceptance Agent program - http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Acceptance-Agent-Program - to see if they can actually get you an ITIN. I had previously thought that they would simply accept your documentation and forward the application, but they may be able to help you actually get the number.

An Acceptance Agent is a person or an entity (business or organization) who, pursuant to a written agreement with the IRS, is authorized to assist individuals and other foreign persons who do not qualify for a Social Security Number but who still need a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) to process a Form 1040 and other tax schedules. The Acceptance Agent facilitates the application process by reviewing the necessary documents and forwarding the completed forms to IRS.

The state of New Jersey says this - http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/noticeformw7.shtml

If you will know your identification number by April 15, you should file your income tax return the same way as you are filing for federal income tax purposes.

If you (or your spouse/CU partner) have applied to the IRS, but have not received a Taxpayer Identification Number by April 15, file the New Jersey income tax return and enclose a copy of Federal Form W-7 (Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) by the due date of the return.

Otherwise, the taxpayer should consider filing an extension of time to file an income tax return

I've never filed a state return myself, so I'm not familiar with it at all. Of course, requirements differ from state-to-state, but your/his state should tell you what to do for the SS # field. Perhaps simply putting "Applied For" would suffice.

I found this same question posted on the Intuit Turbo Tax forum, but the poor guy just got answers concerning the federal return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1182630-how-do-i-apply-for-itin-and-request-state-extensions

What you might do is look into the IRS' Acceptance Agent program - http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Acceptance-Agent-Program - to see if they can actually get you an ITIN. I had previously thought that they would simply accept your documentation and forward the application, but they may be able to help you actually get the number.

An Acceptance Agent is a person or an entity (business or organization) who, pursuant to a written agreement with the IRS, is authorized to assist individuals and other foreign persons who do not qualify for a Social Security Number but who still need a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) to process a Form 1040 and other tax schedules. The Acceptance Agent facilitates the application process by reviewing the necessary documents and forwarding the completed forms to IRS.

Thanks randy: Thought i have read the turbo tax forums and this is what i use each year for my taxes.

The only problem i see at this time is TIME!! 10 days till tax deadline.

As you said (Applied For) seams well called for at the given time limit.

Seeing that the federal tax forms for W-7 must be MAILED in and NOT efiled.

By the time the ITIN is issued 3-4 weeks the tax deadline has passed 4-15-2014

So, IMO file STATE tax form as (Applied for) and see what happens.

On the other hand and thinking out of the box.

Just getting the paper work looking good/better for a valid relationship at the beginning steps for there CR1/IR1

• 1 month later...

well here is a good example of our great system at work.

The IRS sent Bob and RFE for his W-7 application today.

saying they did NOT! receive the W-7 application form with his taxes.

Though they the (IRS) did indeed have the correct papers needed for the W-7 process.

How do i know this?

Form Chengdu: They sign,Stamp a complete packet and this packet was sent to me (As his tax adviser)

This packet included all papers needed for a complete W-7 application including the W-7 signed and dated by Jen.

So why did he/we get an RFE?

Some blind ass at the IRS office did not read ALL! the pages in the packet and missed the last page (The W-7 application)

This packet was assembled per the IRS instruction for a W-7 application and was still missed.

So with this being said and IMO put your W-7 application on top of your packet.

This RFE will now delay the beginning process of Bob and Jens I-130 form getting started.

Just a heads up folks how own system does not follow they own instructions

Though they the (IRS) did indeed have the correct papers needed for the W-7 process.

How do i know this?

Form Chengdu: They sign,Stamp a complete packet and this packet was sent to me (As his tax adviser)

This packet included all papers needed for a complete W-7 application including the W-7 signed and dated by Jen.

Some blind ass at the IRS office did not read ALL! the pages in the packet and missed the last page (The W-7 application)

This packet was assembled per the IRS instruction for a W-7 application and was still missed.

This RFE will now delay the beginning process of Bob and Jens I-130 form getting started.

There's no reason to delay the I-130 - you have copies of the return as filed, right?

How do i know this?

There's no reason to delay the I-130 - you have copies of the return as filed, right?

Yes we have all copys.

Yes, I would not delay filing the I-130, the tax info tends to be an interview time thing. I can understand delaying filing the I-130 wanting to show filing a joint return and marriage relationship evidence, however there are other types of evidence that can be included to show relationship.

Yes, I would not delay filing the I-130, the tax info tends to be an interview time thing. I can understand delaying filing the I-130 wanting to show filing a joint return and marriage relationship evidence, however there are other types of evidence that can be included to show relationship.

Yes, This was the reasoning of the delayed filing.

They have been married now for 1 year and 4 days now.

If they can, spread it out Mike....the IR-1 is the BOMB!!! The second time around we stalled it out to make sure POE would be after two years of marriage. Be done with the bastards....for at least 9 years and 9 months.

Has anyone had any luck getting a tax ID for their Chinese spouse? I am still having issues on my 2012 taxes. I filled out a W-7 for my wife, but we were not able to send her original passport in due to her travel schedule. If you cant send the original, they ask for a certified copy with both a colored and raised chop from the passport-issuing agency. When we tried to get that, we were told that “we don’t’ care what other countries want, we only issue what Chinese law requires.” My tax preparer said that they could validate her identity through a videoconference, which we did, but that was later denied by the IRS.

Right now, we are extending our 2013 and letting the 2012 taxes set in limbo until we can get my wife her green card and SSN. If anyone knows of a way to complete the W-7 process without sending her passport away, I would also try to do that so that we are not depending on the Green Card and SSN to get processed in a reasonable time.

Has anyone had any luck getting a tax ID for their Chinese spouse? I am still having issues on my 2012 taxes. I filled out a W-7 for my wife, but we were not able to send her original passport in due to her travel schedule. If you cant send the original, they ask for a certified copy with both a colored and raised chop from the passport-issuing agency. When we tried to get that, we were told that “we don’t’ care what other countries want, we only issue what Chinese law requires.” My tax preparer said that they could validate her identity through a videoconference, which we did, but that was later denied by the IRS.

Right now, we are extending our 2013 and letting the 2012 taxes set in limbo until we can get my wife her green card and SSN. If anyone knows of a way to complete the W-7 process without sending her passport away, I would also try to do that so that we are not depending on the Green Card and SSN to get processed in a reasonable time.

Uh, no! This is not possible in China. But yes - several people have gotten the ITIN's while in China

What you need is to have it certified at a consulate. She can make an appointment through American Citizen Services - they will know what is required.

Uh, no! This is not possible in China. But yes - several people have gotten the ITIN's while in China

What you need is to have it certified at a consulate. She can make an appointment through American Citizen Services - they will know what is required.

It worked just fine for my sister inlaw just a few months ago while still living in China.

Just make a appointment as Randy said.

Appointment System

Making An Appointment. Once you have reviewed the documentation requirements for your particular service, and have prepared all applicable forms, please schedule an appointment by selecting the Make Appointment button below.

Make Appointment

Note: Please print out or write down your appointment password when it appears on the Appointment Details Page. You may need this password to make any appointment changes or cancellations.

Once appointment is made send/Fax/Email the conformation notice to your girl.

You/she will also need top bring a compleated W-7 form and passport to the appointment.

I did all the paper work for my sister inlaw (W-7 and appointment) and emailed those to her.

It's very easy and the appointment only take about 20 minutes.

One note: The links above are for the Chengdu consulate in China only.

This will/should work at any U.S. Consulate/Embassies in China.

Mike

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

Thanks again for the suggestion. I have made the appointment. Just to confirm, I made the appointment in my name (we will go together). I selected "Request notarial and other services not listed above" as the appointment type. Seem ok?