My wife and I are both working on her resume for her visa interview in a few weeks. In the instructions, it says that she needs to include a work plan explaining where she will seek employment after immigrating.

She wants to work as a pre-school teacher or a Chinese teacher in the US. Should I be more specific than that? We are not sure where exactly she will look for work and we don't know which schools she will apply to. We will live in NY for the first several months while I finish up my master's degree, and we might move down south after I graduate.

I guess my question is, how specific should we be in her work plan? How important is the resume to the visa officers?

Also, to help claim domicile, I will provide my graduate school registration papers for the upcoming fall semester. Do you think this is enough?

We are not 100% sure where we will stay in NY. There is a chance we will stay at a place my Grandma has in NYC. Would it help if my grandma wrote a letter stating that she will provide a place for us to stay and help support us when we immigrate to the USA?

I realize I just asked a lot of questions. Any feedback would help.

We wouldn't have gotten this far without this forum and I really appreciate it.

My own personal experience is that I realized after-the-fact that I forgot to include a work plan in my wife's resume. It didn't matter; we were approved.

I would guess that this only really matters if the applicant has some really specialized skill that would be relevant to national security.

My own personal experience is that I realized after-the-fact that I forgot to include a work plan in my wife's resume. It didn't matter; we were approved.

I would guess that this only really matters if the applicant has some really specialized skill that would be relevant to national security.

Exactly - I think in well over 90% of the cases that the resume is irrelevant to the visa application - and is not even needed. That being said, you are well advised to be prepared, but don't spend too much time preparing something that will most likely not be called for.

"She wants to work as a pre-school teacher or a Chinese teacher in the US." - sounds like a work plan to me.

Also, once she's entered the U.S., her future is her own - she needn't stick to any pre-ordained plan, nor do you need to spend any time right now coming up with one. Your address is where you will hang your hat when the two of you first arrive, as well as a place where you can receive mail. Anything further can be determined when the time comes - just be sure to file the appropriate change of address forms for both of you.

The graduate school registration and letter from grandma should be enough

Yes graduate school papers and a letter from grandma as being where you plan on staying while in school should help with domicile. Your I-864 should show that address.

So my Grandma is writing her letter for me. I was wondering if someone here could critique it before she sends it to us. Included in this letter is a copy of her driver's licence. Do you think it is a problem that she is not our co-sponsor? Our co-sponsor is a close friend to our family.

To U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services,

I, ____ _____ _______, am _____ ____ ____’s grandmother. I fully support ____ _____’s marriage with _____ ____.

I am writing this letter to state that I will help support my grandson and his wife when they arrive in the United States. I will let them stay in my house in New York, located at _______________________ (USA). They can stay in this house when they arrive in the United States, and I will help provide anything _______ and his wife need.

Sincerely,

______

So my Grandma is writing her letter for me. I was wondering if someone here could critique it before she sends it to us. Included in this letter is a copy of her driver's licence. Do you think it is a problem that she is not our co-sponsor? Our co-sponsor is a close friend to our family.

To U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services,

I, ____ _____ _______, am _____ ____ ____’s grandmother. I fully support ____ _____’s marriage with _____ ____.

I am writing this letter to state that I will help support my grandson and his wife when they arrive in the United States. I will let them stay in my house in New York, located at _______________________ (USA). They can stay in this house when they arrive in the United States, and I will help provide anything _______ and his wife need.

Sincerely,

______

This reads like a combined supporting evidence document for relationship affidavit, affidavit of support, and living arrangement.

I would make it a simple statement of where you will live, but others may have other ideas.

To Whom it May Concern

My grandson and his wife __________ and __________will be staying in my residence at

upon their arrival in the United States

Signed

Thanks! I am following your advice.

I have another question as I am getting ready for the interview. I have a large percentage of my money in my Chinese bank still. If I print out my income statements from this bank for my I-864, it will be in Chinese. Do I need to get the income statements translated to English and notarized?

Thanks! I am following your advice.

I have another question as I am getting ready for the interview. I have a large percentage of my money in my Chinese bank still. If I print out my income statements from this bank for my I-864, it will be in Chinese. Do I need to get the income statements translated to English and notarized?

Doubtful - they MIGHT be interested in the balance. Just circling that would probably be good enough, if you feel that that evidence will help your case.

Your income in China won't carry over to the U.S., so is unlikely to be helpful.