So. California Shake Rattle and Roll.

No biggie. Here in the downtown LA area it was a nice roller. Felt an initial jolt and then rocked for ~15 seconds. My wife is currently taking care of a newborn close to Orange County where the epicenter was and she called to say that everyone at the condo is frantic. I assured her that the worst was over... for now.

Its been quite some time since we've had a major earthquake here. There are a lot of new immigrants (not just Asian) who've never felt an earthquake. It's quite unsettling when you first feel the power of the still earth moving beneath you.

So glad to hear you folks are okay, Dennis. I have been through multiple hurricanes growing up in Florida, tornados in Alabama/Tennessee, and one small earthquake living in China. I can imagine how spooky it must be for those who have never been through a big one.

So glad to hear you folks are okay, Dennis. I have been through multiple hurricanes growing up in Florida, tornados in Alabama/Tennessee, and one small earthquake living in China. I can imagine how spooky it must be for those who have never been through a big one.

We all know the term terra firma a latin phrase meaning solid earth. We all rely on solid ground on which we stand.

My earliest memories are of my mother and father having us children sit in the hallway while the 7.2 magnitude earthquake hit Bakersfield, California. Since then, I've been through them all. I've awakened to watch transformers exploding in the valley below thinking that we were under attack. I've had earthquake rattle me awake where everything on my north and south walls flew off and shattered leaving the east and west walls untouched. I've sat through quakes that seemed endless with constant shaking where I wondered when or if it would ever stop. I've stood and seen the ground rise and fall away from me like an ocean wave where every building swayed like they were sitting in jello. I have east coast friends who were visiting and who thought they were going to die while watching in fascination as we calmly walked to a dresser to save a cup of coffee before it fell onto the floor.

I don't mean to sound trite. But, earthquakes are good. The more small ones we have the greater the pressure is relieved for the big one... or so they tell us.

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)