verify my train of thought please

Before I tell my wife this I want some extra minds in the process. Because if I am wrong I will hear about it for a LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG time.

Yuan asked about becoming a citizen the other day. Due to her being out of the country with me her continuous time in country is shot.

For her N-400 I was reading that she can apply after 3 years if married to a US citizen and having a physical presence in the states for 18 months. We will return to the states April 16th her ROC can be filed late OCT next year. With the processig times running what they are now. Can it be possible that she can try for citizenship almost at the same time that her 10 year GC arrives in the mail?

This is the site that I saw the information at for filing the N-400

http://www.immihelp.com/citizenship/naturalization-eligibility.html

Before I tell my wife this I want some extra minds in the process. Because if I am wrong I will hear about it for a LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG time.

Yuan asked about becoming a citizen the other day. Due to her being out of the country with me her continuous time in country is shot.

For her N-400 I was reading that she can apply after 3 years if married to a US citizen and having a physical presence in the states for 18 months. We will return to the states April 16th her ROC can be filed late OCT next year. With the processig times running what they are now. Can it be possible that she can try for citizenship almost at the same time that her 10 year GC arrives in the mail?

This is the site that I saw the information at for filing the N-400

http://www.immihelp.com/citizenship/naturalization-eligibility.html

Did you forget the caboose?

Where does she stand on this requirement?

3 years as a Permanent Resident without leaving the United States for trips of 6 months or longer

Randy,

3 years as a Permanent Resident without leaving the United States for trips of 6 months or longer

that is where I am a little confused. We had a reentry permit for her that was valid for 1 year. For some reason they did not allow her a 2 year permit. We did a quick visit to the states before it expired and then we will have been here for another 2.5 months before we move back. I thought the Reentry permit time did not count against her in that regard. Was I wrong in my thinking?

Randy,

that is where I am a little confused. We had a reentry permit for her that was valid for 1 year. For some reason they did not allow her a 2 year permit. We did a quick visit to the states before it expired and then we will have been here for another 2.5 months before we move back. I thought the Reentry permit time did not count against her in that regard. Was I wrong in my thinking?

Possibly. I would recommend that you either consult with an immigration attorney, or simply wait until that time out of country is not an issue. Of course, you can always file the application and see if it goes through.

The way I read that requirement is that you need to have physically resided in the U.S. for 3 years, except for minor overseas visits. The re-entry permit simply allows her to maintain her green card.

Randy,

You are correct. We will wait 3 years from the date we return to the states. She wants to have a lot of time to study. She was really scared when she saw the test prep from the USCIS web site. Then I showed her the video that they provide and she was very happy.

Really preparing for the citizenship test is not that bad, my wife had me drill her constantly, I got the test questions as an app for the smart phone and she used that, along with other online resources that have been posted in this forum.