Hi,

Being a non-chinese applicant, do my birth certificate and non-criminal record require an apostille stamp? The instructions request a "certified copy of his/her birth certificate" and my birth certificate is certified by the Ministry of Interior. Is that not certified enough?

Hi,

Being a non-chinese applicant, do my birth certificate and non-criminal record require an apostille stamp? The instructions request a "certified copy of his/her birth certificate" and my birth certificate is certified by the Ministry of Interior. Is that not certified enough?

No - you need the white booklet format, which includes a notarial translation and certification, for any documents from China. "Being a non-Chinese applicant"??!? - if you were not born in China, you need a birth certificate from your home country.

An apostille stamp will not be available for Chinese documents - China is not a signatory to the Hague Convention.

If may ask, where we're born? And what countries have you lived in since age 16 for more than 6 months?

This would help determine what is needed.

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I'm an Israeli applying for a green card in China. My Israeli birth certificate and non-criminal record are both issued in Hebrew as well as English, therefore there is no need for a translation. Since Israel is a signatory to the Hague convention, I would like to know whether both these certificates require an Apostille stamp. Thanks.

Thanks Dan, I've read through this website. I know they never mention an apostille stamp but I'm just worried that it might only be the case when applying for the process through your home country. I'm trying to understand whether the same applies for cases in which the process is done abroad. Perhaps the American consulate in Israel is familiar with Israeli certificates and therefore doesn't require the stamp. I just have no idea what would be considered as sufficient for the Guangzhou consulate.

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I'm an Israeli applying for a green card in China. My Israeli birth certificate and non-criminal record are both issued in Hebrew as well as English, therefore there is no need for a translation. Since Israel is a signatory to the Hague convention, I would like to know whether both these certificates require an Apostille stamp. Thanks.

Applying for a "green card in China"??!? You say you're applying to the American consulate, so I assume you're applying for a visa which will get you a green card upon entry to the U.S.

I would submit your birth certificate as is. The American consulates generally accept official documents as issued by the foreign country. They will tell you if they require anything further.

If you really ARE applying for a "green card in China", the Chinese authorities likewise generally accept official documents as issued by the foreign country.

Sorry, I meant applying for a visa. Thanks for your input!

I don't think I've heard of anyone needing an Apostille, so I expect that means you won't. There are always surprises, though - after 2 years living here in China, they changed their procedure to where they required the Secretary of State/consulate certification on our marriage certificate. You never know.