Malaysia to China plane missing (MH-370)

This was posted last night (Thursday) 20:19 China time

Search for Malaysian airliner suspended despite new satellite lead

However, the air search was cut short Thursday as bad weather again closed in.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) said on its Twitter feed at just after 1 p.m. Perth time that the search was being suspended and all aircraft were returning to Perth and ships will leave the area.

However, an hour later, AMSA announced that the four Chinese ships and one Australian vessel would remain in the area and continue the search.

The bad weather was expected to continue for 24 hours.

Getting closer, I hope they find it soon, and then find the data recorders so we can know exactly what happened.

I believe the CVR and FDR are loops that only record the last 30 minutes of flight, so I'm wondering how much they can glean from the boxes. Certainly they'll know what systems were operating or not at the time it finally went down but we likely will have no idea what was said in the cockpit after 'alright goodnight' (unless the crew was still alive when they hit the ocean).

Getting closer, I hope they find it soon, and then find the data recorders so we can know exactly what happened.

I believe the CVR and FDR are loops that only record the last 30 minutes of flight, so I'm wondering how much they can glean from the boxes. Certainly they'll know what systems were operating or not at the time it finally went down but we likely will have no idea what was said in the cockpit after 'alright goodnight' (unless the crew was still alive when they hit the ocean).

A standard CVR is capable of recording 4 channels of audio data for a period of 2 hours, probably will have nothing, however most FDRs record approximately 17-25 hours worth of data in a continuous loop, long enough for it to show issues from before the plane dropped off radar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockpit_voice_recorder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_data_recorder

Still a possibility...

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Misc%20Junk%20for%20posting/1920292_10202815666526354_2049024035_n_zpsef8fca9e.jpg

• Like 2

A standard CVR is capable of recording 4 channels of audio data for a period of 2 hours, probably will have nothing, however most FDRs record approximately 17-25 hours worth of data in a continuous loop, long enough for it to show issues from before the plane dropped off radar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockpit_voice_recorder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_data_recorder

Geez, where did I come up with 30 minutes? I must have been confusing the recording abilities of the FDR with those of my brain. :bop:

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/1966831_10201776762765161_1793678070_n_zps59844e3f.jpg

True idiots in the news media.

• Like 1

An article about a supposed "backlash". The article is actually much more reasonable than the headline

Malaysian celebrities bear the brunt of Chinese outrage over MH370

On Wednesday, a commentary titled "Give the Malaysian Celebrities A Break" appeared on Weibo, appealing to Chinese netizens to remain level-headed and respectful of the ties of solidarity and common heritage that Malaysia and China share. Author Pan Caifu wrote:

"We are all trying to come to terms with the scale of the MH370 tragedy even as it continues to develop. In the process of voicing their discontent, a minority of Chinese citizens have also vented their anger on Fish Leong, Victor Kwan and other Malaysian celebrities. Causing harm to innocent people like that is an irresponsible act that is very much regrettable...Boycotting Japanese goods when we are on bad terms with the Japanese, boycotting Malaysian goods when we are on bad terms with them - such behaviour is neither gracious, nor rational."

The incident has turned out to have so many different facets to it. One is discussed in this CNN article:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/27/world/asia/china-malaysia-mh370-diplomacy-florcruz/ In the article it says:

........"Gao said it's "understandable" this tragic incident "may have caught the Malaysian government unprepared, and the magnitude of the incident may have overwhelmed them."

Full disclosure

But he cautioned against anything but full disclosure when it comes to disseminating information about the investigation.

"It is an increasing concern ... that the Malaysian side may not have been most upfront and transparent from the very beginning," Gao said. "The contradictions in the information they have disclosed bit by bit, piece by piece, may have the result of intentional withholding of information, or even lack of transparency and complete disclosure."

Such a perception, he said, may be changing the attitude of many people towards the way the Malaysian government has handled this incident.

Yet China is caught between a rock and a hard place.

Mystery of missing airliner surfaces pain of 1977 tragedy

Chinese officials need to show the Chinese families and public at large that they're doing their best, and using everything at China's disposal to help the loved ones of passengers. It cannot afford to publicly look callous, inept or weak.

And in another place in the article it asks:

So did the Chinese government encourage the protest?

"Tolerated, yes, but not encouraged," the source said. "There are many malcontents in China and they may join the angry families and shift the target from Malaysia to the government. The aim is to let them express anger while keeping them restrained."

READ: 'Unspeakable challenge' for relatives

But there was little restraint among China's legions of netizens.

Social media definite has a role in this story. It definitely can allow the masses to vent it frustration and angry.

It seems that at time the netizens are being unfair to the Malaysians. I tend to agree with quote of Caifu's of ...." boycotting Malaysian goods when we are on bad terms with them - such behaviour is neither gracious, nor rational."

Perhaps there they need a person like Rodney King to ask: "Can we all get along?"

Also I feel so bad for the victums' family. They must be tormented with all the twist and turns of this event and the events that are being playing out on social media and the regular media. Very sad. Danb

from the Global Times

Chinese news professionals reflect on passive reporting of MH370 flight

"Netizens left messages on my microblog, criticizing me for doing an 'awful' job. They said they wanted to know the whereabouts of the missing airplane, rather than listening to crap,'" said Wang, who was dispatched to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, to report on the missing flight MH370.

. . .

"We have to go through a series of steps in the reporting and application system when major incidents occur. We have to wait for the approval of the chief editor, channel director and sometimes even the president of the station before we start to broadcast news," Zhuang said.

In contrast, some foreign media such as CBS, Zhuang said, have a sound and mature emergency response plans that can start the coverage of breaking news minutes after incidents take place.

"We still lack this," Zhuang said.

. . .

"For the first two days, almost all the Chinese media cited foreign reports as news resources. It seemed that when referring to international affairs, Chinese media had to rely on foreign media," said Luo Changping, an award-winning journalist.

Another one for the conspiracy theory of Diego Garcia.

4 passengers on the plane held a patent worth billions?