Malaysia to China plane missing (MH-370)

CNN now reporting that China has released satellite images that may have located the aircraft, or at least they are saying they have images from Sunday of 3 large floating objects.

Satellite looking into missing Malaysia flight detects 'suspected crash area'
By Jethro Mullen and Michael Pearson, CNN
updated 4:51 PM EDT, Wed March 12, 2014

(CNN) -- A Chinese satellite looking into the mysterious disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 "observed a suspected crash area at sea," a Chinese government agency said -- a potentially pivotal lead into what has been a frustrating search for the Boeing 777.

China's State Administration for Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense announced the discovery, including images of what it said were "three suspected floating objects and their sizes."

The images in the Strait of Malacca were captured on March 9 -- which was the day after the plane went missing -- but weren't released until Wednesday.

This isn't the first time that authorities have announced they were looking into objects or oil slicks that might be tied to plane, which went missing last Saturday.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/12/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

from the WSJ

U.S. Investigators Suspect Missing Malaysia Flight Flew On for Hours

U.S. investigators suspect that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 stayed in the air for about four hours past the time it reached its last confirmed location, according to two people familiar with the details, raising the possibility that the plane could have flown on for hundreds of additional miles under conditions that remain murky.
The investigators believe the plane flew for a total of five hours based on data automatically downloaded and sent to the ground from the Boeing Co. 777’s engines as part of a routine maintenance and monitoring program.
Follow live updates: http://stream.wsj.com/story/malaysia-airlines-flight-370/SS-2-475558/

another link - http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304914904579434653903086282?mod=djemalertNEWS

The engine data is being analyzed to help determine the flight path of the plane after the transponders stopped working. The jet was originally headed for China, and its last verified position was half way across the Gulf of Thailand.

A total flight time of five hours after departing Kuala Lumpur means the Boeing 777 could have continued for an additional distance of about 2,200 nautical miles, reaching points as far as the Indian Ocean, the border of Pakistan or even the Arabian Sea, based on the jet's cruising speed.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

NYT:

Signals on Radar Puzzle Officials in Hunt for Malaysian Jet

An American military official discounted the Chinese images, saying that United States satellites would have seen the object and did not. It was unlikely, the official added, that a large piece of the aircraft would be floating, and in any case, its location was in a high-traffic area near the many ships and aircraft searching for the missing jetliner.

“I cannot possibly believe that image is a valid image,”’ the official said.

gallery_1846_774_103661.jpg

gallery_1846_774_271115.jpg

Pulau Perak island

A Malaysian military official was quoted in a local newspaper on Tuesday saying the military had received signals from the plane near this island at 2:40 a.m. Saturday.

Subang airport

Malaysia Airlines said authorities were “looking at a possibility” that the plane was headed to Subang, an airport that handles mainly domestic flights.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

' Posted Yesterday, 03:15 PM

Randy W, on 12 Mar 2014 - 2:13 PM, said:snapback.png

danb, on 12 Mar 2014 - 1:30 PM, said:snapback.png

I tried editing this post but was getting some google errors when I tried to save the changes. Maybe a moderator can help me out. Thank You.

Help you what? If there was anything else you wanted to post, try putting it into a second post.

Yep, put in second post, indicate what needs to be changed in first post, we can make the changes to first post and even merge first to second post if needed. "

Videos are limited to two per post though.

I wasn't sure how to post those two video of Paul Harvey. So I just posted the links to them. I didn't realize it was that simple. I guess the video shows up on the post automatically. When I hit the Post button I was getting a google fault and neither the links nor the video were showing in my post just the google error. That is why I posted the plea for assistance. I am glad that it worked itself out. Thanks. And as Paul would say" that is the rest of the story, Good Day" .
Lots of twists and turns in this story. I wonder how the final story will read.

Japan is sending some planes to Malaysia to help search for MH370:

http://www.voanews.com/content/reu-in-rare-show-of-goodwill-china-thanks-japan-for-plane-search-aid-/1869470.html

Good for Japan. I think they may have been a little slow to take action but at least they did The Japanese can be a kind and compassionate people but sometimes I think some of their politicians can be "as...s." Most Japanese can and do have concern for other people outside of their shores. Danb

Edited by danb (see edit history)

Getting very strange, you would think all modern jetliners would be equipped with real-time satellite tracking that cannot be turned off during flight, the device would be like a real time black box, it would upload in real-time, flight data, cockpit voice, and GPS data, uploading to satellite, so a plane cannot be lost.

• Like 1

Here is the Onion's take... :abduct:

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Misc%20Junk%20for%20posting/the-onion-logo-2gw0sdn_zpsac672006.jpg

Malaysia Airlines Expands Investigation To Include General Scope Of Space, Time

http://o.onionstatic.com/images/25/25583/original/700.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR—Following a host of conflicting reports in the wake of the mysterious disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 last Saturday, representatives from the Kuala Lumpur-based carrier acknowledged they had widened their investigation into the vanished Boeing 777 aircraft today to encompass not only the possibilities of mechanical failure, pilot error, terrorist activity, or a botched hijacking, but also the overarching scope of space, time, and humankind’s place in the universe.

The airline, now in its fifth day of searching for the passenger jet carrying 239 passengers and crew, has come under fire for its perceived mishandling of the investigation, whose confusing and contradictory reports has failed to provide definitive answers on everything from how long the missing plane remained aloft after losing contact with air traffic controllers, to whether the flight made a radical alteration in its heading, to the very dimensions of space-time and the nature of reality, and what exactly it is that brought us into existence and imbued us with this thing we call life.

Additionally, the airline confirmed it had expanded its active search area to include a several hundred-square-mile zone in the Indian Ocean as well as each of the seven or 22 additional spatial dimensions posited by string theory.

“We continue to do everything in our power and explore every possible lead--both Cartesian and phenomenological--to locate the aircraft as quickly as possible,” said Malaysia’s civil aviation chief Azharuddin Abdul Rahman, who went on to say that authorities were still actively seeking tips from anyone claiming knowledge related either to the flight, or to the mechanisms by which consciousness arises, or to the question of why anything physical and finite exists instead of nothing at all. “At this stage, we can’t rule anything out: not crew interference with the transponders, not a catastrophic electrical failure, not the emergence of a complex topological feature of spacetime such as an Einstein-Rosen bridge that could have deposited the flight at any location in the universe or a different time period altogether, nothing.”

“Could a parallel universe have immediately swelled up from random cosmological fluctuation according to the multiverse theory and swallowed the flight into its folds, or could ice have built up on an airspeed sensor? Those are both options we are currently considering,” Rahman added. “Everything’s on the table. That is, insofar as anything exists at all, which we’re also looking into.”

MORE...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/malaysian-airlines-expands-investigation-to-includ,35524/

In light of the above cited explanation of the vanished jet by the Onion, I think I can offer up an equally plausable explanation. It could be a case of:

Chronosynclastic Infundibulation

Discovered by Kurt Vonnegut and explained in his book Sirens of Titan, such a state exists where multiple realities merge in a singularity. This is what happened to Winston Niles Roomsford, the main character in the book, and his dog Kazak. They were unfortunate enough to have somehow passed through a black hole (not unlike us early members of CFL) and when they came out, the had been chronosynclastic infundibulated. This made it possible for them to be in two places, far apart, at the very same time. Or in some cases, vanish all together, only to rematerialize somewhere across the galaxy. It is some pretty heady stuff and Vonnegut describes it well in Sirens, which I highly recommend by the way.

(I don't mean to make light of the situation with the missing plane, it's just that the Onion piece reminded me of the Vonnegut's work.).

• Like 3

Mick, I about fell outta my chair laughing when I saw your post about The Sirens of Titan. I've got a library full of maybe everything Kurt Vonnegutt, Jr wrote and got published. My favorite author of all time. First read a book of his, "Cat's Cradle in 1970. Some guy had left it on the cot I got at the 90th Replacement Battalion in Long Binh when I went there to catch a Freedom Bird back home from Nam the first time. Instantly became a fan of his works. The guy was a pure genius of a wordsmith and laughing about this life.. One of the funniest men who ever graced this dirt clod. Time to reread Sirens, Slaughter House Five, God Bless you Eliot Rosewater, Breakfast of Champions, etc etc :rotfl: Mick, I am continually amazed at our similarities. Both of my first two wives loved his books also. When I first logged into Candle back in December 2006, I was going to use the stage name Kilgore Trout, until I found tsap seui and thought it was just as funny..

"And so it goes..."

"I cry into this manicured wilderness"

As far as the plane? Who knows. It is terribly sad, and I'm not buying into any of the speculation and conjecture of the news people. It could be so many things...even Chronosynclastic Infundibulation. I just am never going to use any other carriers other than United when I fly or send my family off to China. They can't stop planes from disintegrating in air, but I'll happily take my clothes off in public if the TSA demanded it.

Another thing not many folks are talking about. Kuala Lumpur is one of the places the terrorists involved in 9-11 trained. The country is loaded with radicals. Not saying it was brought down by terrorists. It could have been a rare catastrophic failure in the plane itself. I don't know if other countries have any FAA certifications or inspections. I'm just not going to play around with airlines who don't have every safety precaution and procedure, down to not even being hooked up to Interpol...for Christ sakes???? And that other airline (Asiana or something) who crashed their plane in California earlier last year....I hate the thought of something as dumbass as "face" in the cockpit...practically not even a basic cockpit protocol. SCREW THAT CRAP...and woe to any passengers who die from such idiocy. I'll take those "old grouchy broads" stewardesses flying jumbos to Australia and China, etc on United, and I don't care how pretty the Asian airliners girls are, or how much better their damn food is. It means nothing if you are dead.

Sorry about the rant folks. Everyone is free to fly with whomever they care to. A United bird could drop out of the sky today, if I was on it I would know that they at least had safety precautions and procedures in place. And that we have the TSA to screen the passengers and are hooked up to Interpol to check the stolen passport lists, fer Christsakes.. I'm the last person to complain about the delays and such in the airports. I actually smile and thank the TSA workers each time I go through the lines.

Kilgore Trout

Tsap, I, too, am amazed at our similarities in so many diverse areas. Like I said in another post, twin sons of different mothers.

Cats Cradle was also my first Vonnegut book. I just cracked up at the darkness of his humor, describing Ice Nine and the various religions mentioned in that book including:

Bokononism

Two Seed in the Spirit Predestinarian Baptists

and my favorite:

The First Church of the Utterly Indifferent :rotfl:

I also read just about every book he came out with and even read that one he wrote under the name of Kilgore Trout called Venus on the Halfshell.

I read a sort of narrative autobiography by his son, Mark Vonnegut, many years ago. I forget the name of it, but he painted a not too flattering picture of his dad as I recall. Mark had experienced some sort of mental meltdown as I recall and gone off to live in the woods. My memory is really vague on all that. I loved Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five, God Bless You Mr. Rosewater, Wamperters, Foma, and Grand Falloons - I figured that is what Nam was, an ultimate Grand Faloon. What a trip.

I got a feeling we are gonna manage to meet up one way or the other this summer. Li and Salina are going to Chiner fer a few weeks and if my health is up to it, I just may have to take a little drive up to Pennsyltucky.

I'll take those "old grouchy broads" stewardesses flying jumbos to Australia and China, etc on United, and I don't care how pretty the Asian airliners girls are, or how much better their damn food is. It means nothing if you are dead.

Agree tsap, I believe United pilots are the best trained in the world, despite the fact that United has an aging fleet...of stewardesses. :oneeye:

• Like 1

Yeah Ken, dem old broads can get a lil' cantankerous and they ain't much to look at. Then again, I have a beautiful woman either with me or at home, and I take my VA sleeping meds and try to sleep most of the flight anyhow. I always get myself an isle seat in the back of the plane, so going to the bat-room, or just getting up to walk around is very easy. I always say something nice to the old gals and smile at them. They get to be very helpful with a smile, on the off chance I even need anything.

I've seen many folks complain about the old broads and how much better lookin' the other airlines girls are, and how much better the food is. Heck, I've got someone to look at, and once I get to China there is way more eye candy to gawk at and get punched in the ribs over (actually now Wenyan points out good lookers, in case I miss one.....), and I never thought of airline food as like I was going to some fancy restaurant. I can do that in China or when I get back to DC, fer Christsakes.

I jes want an airline that has NO face in the cockpit bullshit, has FAA maintenance, and an airport that are actually hooked up to the damn internet enough so that they can at least attempt to weed out stolen passports, etc.

I've had no problems flying domestically in China, not that I have a choice in the matter anyhow. Where I do have a choice, old broads and food aren't in my decision making process. :rotfl:

I feel bad for whatever has happened to these folks on that missing flight. Trying to learn from tragedies and things like that Asiana flight in California where all of the pilots in charge should have had their licenses taken away...and then shot for being so damned stupid and arrogant....I'll stick with United. At least if the plane spirals down out of control my last thoughts won't be....I could have picked an airline better. :victory:

Good luck to the passengers and their families from that missing plane. Lord knows what the hell happened on that flight. Maybe one of the first pilots girlfriends knocked off the transponder and pushed the yolk to it's most forward position while she was lap dancing the pilot. Cowboys belong on horses or in gunships, not flying commercial airliners.

tsap seui

I'll take those "old grouchy broads" stewardesses flying jumbos to Australia and China, etc on United, and I don't care how pretty the Asian airliners girls are, or how much better their damn food is. It means nothing if you are dead.

Agree tsap, I believe United pilots are the best trained in the world, despite the fact that United has an aging fleet...of stewardesses. :oneeye:

My Tai tai says the old Oyster has the best pearl.