birth certificate problem, help please

Hi all, this is my first post in any forum and the reason why I am posting is because I can't find anyone who has had the same problem elsewhere. I hope someone can help.

I am trying to help my girlfriend get a visa to visit me and we have come across a problem which is birth certificate related. She can't get one. She was adopted from around two months and her adopted mother found her roadside. Because of that, there is no way of knowing who her biological parents are. She went to the place mentioned in other topics with the hukou and adoption papers and was told that if she doesn't know her birth parents, she can't get a birth certificate replacement. What can we do?

Hi all, this is my first post in any forum and the reason why I am posting is because I can't find anyone who has had the same problem elsewhere. I hope someone can help.

I am trying to help my girlfriend get a visa to visit me and we have come across a problem which is birth certificate related. She can't get one. She was adopted from around two months and her adopted mother found her roadside. Because of that, there is no way of knowing who her biological parents are. She went to the place mentioned in other topics with the hukou and adoption papers and was told that if she doesn't know her birth parents, she can't get a birth certificate replacement. What can we do?

If ANY document is unobtainable, you should submit a statement of WHY it is unobtainable, and what effort you made to obtain it.

Does she have a Chinese ID and a passport? It's not clear at all why there would be a problem with the birth certificate.

If ANY document is unobtainable, you should submit a statement of WHY it is unobtainable, and what effort you made to obtain it.

Does she have a Chinese ID and a passport? It's not clear at all why there would be a problem with the birth certificate.

Ok I see. She has a Chinese ID and we just filled out and submitted the forms to get a passport. It should come in about 15 working days.

I think the problem might be that her biological parents are unknown and on a birth certificate I believe the biological parent's details need to be stated.

Edited by mitch1993 (see edit history)

Ok I see. She has a Chinese ID and we just filled out and submitted the forms to get a passport. It should come in about 15 working days.

I think the problem might be that her biological parents are unknown and on a birth certificate I believe the biological parent's details need to be stated.

Go to the Chinese authorities (at the Gong Cheng Chu) with her hukou book and ask for "a birth certificate to be used abroad" - quote-unquote, and more importantly END quote.

Neither you nor the State Dept. can dictate the format or contents of the certificate.

My understanding is that her parents are "unknown", unless they instead list the adoptive parents.

If you truly are unable to obtain a birth certificate, submit a statement of WHY it is unobtainable, and what effort you made to obtain it.

Go to the Chinese authorities (at the Gong Cheng Chu) with her hukou book and ask for "a birth certificate to be used abroad" - quote-unquote, and more importantly END quote.

Neither you nor the State Dept. can dictate the format or contents of the certificate.

My understanding is that her parents are "unknown", unless they instead list the adoptive parents.

If you truly are unable to obtain a birth certificate, submit a statement of WHY it is unobtainable, and what effort you made to obtain it.

Thanks for your help Randy and prompt replies. It is much appreciated. We will follow your suggestions. If anyone else has other suggestions, I am naturally interested in reading them.